PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone write long hand anymore?

Carimel
09-08-2009, 05:46 PM
I was just wondering, if anyone writes long hand anymore these days. I try to sit in front of a computer & write but I just stare at a blank screen. I do transfer everything thou to my computer for safe keeping. Am I crazy or what? I would love to hear from everyone!!~

YAwriter72
09-08-2009, 05:54 PM
I sometimes do. If I get stuck on something, I will take pen and paper and take the boys to the playground and most times, the thoughts will flow again.Or if I'm at work and get a scene or idea, I'll write it down. I don't write the entire thing longhand though, my wrists would die.

SarahMacManus
09-08-2009, 06:34 PM
I used to love to (and exclusively) draft in longhand. However, time has not been kind to either my joints or my handwriting. I miss it though.

C.M.C.
09-08-2009, 06:47 PM
No way in hell. It's long, painful, and for left-handers like myself, usually a mess.

RedScylla
09-08-2009, 07:03 PM
News flash: old dog learns new trick.

I'm 38. I've been writing stories since I was old enough to hold a pencil. When I started writing novels, my system was pretty simple--I wrote the first draft longhand in a journal, then typed it/entered it into the computer. Save, backup, etc.

Four weeks ago, I got nailed by a story idea that grabbed me by the throat. Wrote 130K in under three weeks...and I did it all on the computer. I don't have even half a page of notes written longhand for this book. I typed it straight from my brain. This is a very weird feeling for me, but I think it worked. I mean, I think the first draft is pretty decent, considering I didn't get to do basic revisions as I typed from my hand-written draft.

I dunno what this means, except that there's a first for everything, and I'm now more open to doing the next book that way...

Calla Lily
09-08-2009, 07:04 PM
I do all the time. I'm often away from my computer, and I drag a 3-ring binder everywhere with the last few scenes and my outline so I can continue writing.

ETA: And it means Red is a MACHINE. :D

stevewed
09-08-2009, 07:09 PM
I write longhand and here's the proof http://twitpic.com/cap4i

I find that early drafts and brutal revisions work better if I can put ink on paper and just go with it. Then when I put the words into the computer, I get a chance to edit as I go.

ishtar'sgate
09-08-2009, 07:16 PM
I was just wondering, if anyone writes long hand anymore these days.
Always. Actually my first draft is done with pencils. I sharpen a couple of dozen and start writing. I seem to need a direct connection to the page before I can create.

Adam
09-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Occasionally, but I hate having to transfer it to my PC afterwards. ;)

Emily Arsenault
09-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I do. When I'm starting on a brand new scene or chapter, I write it out longhand. When it's roughly finished, I type it into the computer, making improvements along the way. Then I go back to pen and paper to start the next chapter.

scarletpeaches
09-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Sometimes, just to get the ol' brain gears moving again. After a page or two I start itching to get back to the computer, but hey...whatever works.

quickWit
09-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I keep notes, outlines, bits of dialog, etc., in a journal I carry with me. That's probably where I do 50% of my writing.

Millie
09-08-2009, 07:56 PM
No way, I'd never be able to read it back!!!

Kitty Pryde
09-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I write longhand all the time. Sometimes it's tricky to find the time to type it up afterwards, but that's okay. In lots of places it's easier/better to deal with a notebook than a computer. I spent the weekend at the world's dustiest campsite. If I'd tried to take my laptop it would be a really dusty paperweight by now :D I also do a lot of my writing on the bus and train, where it's a pain to deal with the computer.

KellyAssauer
09-08-2009, 08:08 PM
I always have a notebook with me, I've had people ask "where's your notebook?" heh and not a notebook puter - yuck! Take my own notes when it hits, and transcribe later, makes me still feel like a writer, and not just a typist.

scarletpeaches
09-08-2009, 08:11 PM
I write longhand all the time. Sometimes it's tricky to find the time to type it up afterwards, but that's okay. In lots of places it's easier/better to deal with a notebook than a computer. I spent the weekend at the world's dustiest campsite. If I'd tried to take my laptop it would be a really dusty paperweight by now :D I also do a lot of my writing on the bus and train, where it's a pain to deal with the computer.Acer Aspire FTW! :D

Manuel Royal
09-08-2009, 08:13 PM
I take a small notebook with me and make notes longhand when things occur to me. At the start of a project I sit down with a spiral notebook and start jotting down the different elements I have in mind, with some dialogue and descriptions.

I haven't written a whole story longhand in decades, though -- not since I learned to type in 1976. (The only thing I learned in high school.)

On the other hand, I'd consider the ability to write longhand as a basic necessary skill. It nauseates me to hear that there are now public elementary schools that don't teach cursive at all. How the hell are these kids going to sign their names?

Delhomeboy
09-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Longhand and Typewriter FTW :D

Kitty Pryde
09-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Acer Aspire FTW! :D

I have an Acer Aspire. It would still die at The World's Dustiest Campsite, and it's hard to balance on one's knee on the bus. That is if a crazy hobo doesn't steal it whilst one is bus-writing.

scarletpeaches
09-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I have an Acer Aspire. It would still die at The World's Dustiest Campsite, and it's hard to balance on one's knee on the bus. That is if a crazy hobo doesn't steal it whilst one is bus-writing.You need to learn the scarletpeaches patented Ball-Withering Glare.

Srsly. I can make grown men cry with a look.

(My ex boyfriend used to say "Meep," and hide in the corner when I looked at him all glarewise, like).

Pat~
09-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Always. Actually my first draft is done with pencils. I sharpen a couple of dozen and start writing. I seem to need a direct connection to the page before I can create.

I always have a notebook with me, I've had people ask "where's your notebook?" heh and not a notebook puter - yuck! Take my own notes when it hits, and transcribe later, makes me still feel like a writer, and not just a typist.

I write longhand almost every day in my AM journaling (sometimes just a sentence, sometimes a few pages). I use a steady supply of inexpensive Bic mechanical pencils, .9mm lead, with a good eraser. ("The hand that erases writes the true thing."--Meister Eckhart, lol!) Usually have a spiral with me everywhere I go to catch the thoughts before they fly away. (Callalily2 just scolded me recently for writing on my lap while driving up the tollway. :D) Then, if I want to go somewhere further with those thoughts (e.g. a poem or article), they get transcribed into the laptop, and edited at the same time.

Priene
09-08-2009, 08:44 PM
You need to learn the scarletpeaches patented Ball-Withering Glare.

(My ex boyfriend used to say "Meep," and hide in the corner when I looked at him all glarewise, like).

You old romantic, you.

Capes&Corsets
09-08-2009, 08:46 PM
I used to write long hand ALL the time, from the age of seven when I started writing 'books'. A few months back I came across the novel I wrote as a 13-14 year-old. A file containing about 350 A4 pages, both sides of each page filled. I used to take the file everywhere with me to write on the go. Let's just say I was shocked at my patience back then!

I always carry a notebook and pens wherever I go, just in case. If I don't have my netbook with me and want to write somewhere, I'll write in long-hand. I'm always jotting down notes though - notebooks are full of randomness.

In Jan I bought an Acer Aspire One so that I can write on the go. It's perfect and fits in my bag and I usually take it everywhere - work, train...best thing I've bought in a while :)

willietheshakes
09-08-2009, 08:49 PM
First drafts are ALWAYS handwritten. In a notebook. With a fountain pen.

cwfgal
09-08-2009, 08:51 PM
I handwrite notes and my edits on hardcopy, but 99% of my writing is done on a computer. I did a lot of handwriting stuff when I was younger but found the process frustrating at times because my mind always worked so much faster than my hand and I'd often lose phrases/ideas/bits that came to me before I could get them down on paper.

Beth (aka Annelise Ryan)

erin_michelle
09-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Most of my manuscripts are written on the computer, along with plot notes. I do have a notebook for each manuscript where I collect little notes, character ideas, and overall plot threads. Also, whenever I do my manuscript edits, I always take notes in a notebook to make sure I'm hitting everything I wanted to hit in terms of the story. This is also helpful to keep important information straight for my series.

Shakesbear
09-08-2009, 09:05 PM
I always have a notebook with me and have lots of ideas written down for later use. I plan things out in longhand - that is I will have an A4 notebook with all the information I need for whatever I am working on. I have quite a few things planned out that I have yet to write! I love writing long hand - but having arthritis in my hands means it is not always the pleasure it used to be. But then neither is using a key board.

Kitty Pryde
09-08-2009, 09:08 PM
You need to learn the scarletpeaches patented Ball-Withering Glare.

*brings peaches along on the commute to run interference on crazy hobos*

This will greatly increase productivity!

BenPanced
09-08-2009, 09:18 PM
First drafts are typed out on my Alphasmart or Mac, but I'll hand write quick notes on paper, if necessary. The bulk of handwritten material is done during the edit process, which gets transcribed back onto the Alphasmart.

Apsu
09-08-2009, 09:52 PM
My first draft was on the comp. So far all rewrite, revision, second draft work has been done long hand. I might go back to the comp for the next round, but I'm happier with the way things have come out longhand than I was with the first draft.

scarletpeaches
09-08-2009, 10:09 PM
*brings peaches along on the commute to run interference on crazy hobos*

This will greatly increase productivity!This is gonna be fun!:D

Freelancer
09-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Acer Aspire FTW! :D
I agree, Scarlet! My one is an Acer Aspire Gemstone Blue 8930. The best one what I ever had. :)

To answer the question: So-so. Sometimes I start to work immediately into Final Draft or Word, when I already developed everything in my mind. But sometimes I simply pick up a piece of paper and write down everything what is flashing into my mind. Sometimes I even draw maps to visualize a long battle, every movement and then I try to write it down. It's always depending from the material.

cptwentworth
09-08-2009, 10:18 PM
I would never have the patience to write longhand. I keep a notepad with me for quick scribbles, but since I type a million miles a minute for my real job, it's so much quicker to use the computer.

tjwriter
09-08-2009, 10:23 PM
I love writing longhand. I find it soothing to my creativity and my soul.

DeleyanLee
09-08-2009, 10:26 PM
I wish I could write longhand more, but I have a crippled paw that can't hold a pen for more than about 10 minutes without serious PAIN requiring ice, drugs and splits for days on end.

I've been bummed about this for the close to 20 years since it happened. I used to LOVE composing by hand.

tjwriter
09-08-2009, 10:28 PM
*Hugs DeleyanLee*

That's so sad.

Xelebes
09-09-2009, 01:07 AM
I write the first two or three pages of a story in my legal-ruled notebook. I write small so that equates to 5-8 pages on the computer (manuscript 250 words per page).

Libbie
09-09-2009, 02:09 AM
I do all my notes in longhand. (erm -- actually, I write all my notes in the margins of the books I'm using to do my research. I know. It's evil. I can't help it.)

I also do the first few tries of an outline in longhand, sometimes on index cards so I can move scenes or plot points around a bit.

As for the actual drafts, though, nope. I type those. I type very fast, and I am either painfully slow or illegible when writing longhand.

Carimel
09-09-2009, 02:24 AM
I want to thank everyone for their quick response to my thread! My husband tells me it's more work for me because of the choice I make for writing long hand. I have started using the index cards ( getting this idea from this board) & I just love it. I am taking the advice about just writing & don't worry if it does not make sense. That is the reason for revising! Just remember take at least 15 min. a day to write from your busy schedule!~