Friend Kills Self By Burning Up

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Forgive the rambling but I felt like whining and what better place to do it. A friend of my hubby and I killed himself by dousing himself with lighter fluid and setting himself on fire in the backyard. His wife found him. He was in the Vietnam war and has been haunted for thirty years about what he saw and was forced to do over there. The nightmares just became more than he could handle. He was such as good man...a gentle man and a gentleman. I feel like he was a casualty of war. I hate war. Sorry, had to get this off my chest.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I hope he will now enjoy everlasting peace. My prayers are for him, his wife, and all those who mourn his untimely death.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
That is so tragic. May his family and loved ones also find peace during this time of sorrow.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Joyce, talking about this is not whining. I am very sorry for your loss. I wish there was something more I could do. Be gentle with you.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
That's a hell of a way to kill yourself. He sounds like he was very tortured. I remember the "Pinkos" saying that we would see the ravages of the war in Vietnam for decades. I remember the people who scoffed at them.

I hate war because I love our soldiers. No matter what I think of the war, this man answered the call to defend his country, died for it and is a hero.

Your friend will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Nessie

Your Friendly Loch'Ness Monster!
Registered
Reaction score
What a terrible way to end his life, I am sorry for your loss Joyce, my thoughts are with you and his family.

Be gentle with you
Em

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Thank you everyone. It was bothering my soul and this place has always been a refuge to unleash these types of things because all of you are like my family of writers. I do hate war but I do love our fighting men and women. I wish we could just put the leaders in a pit and let them duke it out and not have our precious ones tortured. You would think humanity would have learned something after centuries of fighting over who has the correct God, money or land. I sometimes think we humans aren't as intelligent as we try to make ourselves out to be. I feel like the hippies used to say when I was young..."make love not war". Thanks again everyone for letting me dump here.

Velma deSelby Bowen

I miss the mountains....
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Dear gods. I am so sorry for your loss, and for your friend. What pain he must have felt....

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He must have suffered for as long as he could stand it, and then suffered some more trying to hold on for the sake of those who loved him. Peace, my brother, be at peace at last.

May his family find it, too.

Maryn, so sorry to hear of this

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Oh Joyce, that's awful. I'm so sorry.

Peace to his spirit, to his family, and to you & your husband.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Joyce I am sorry for your loss. May flights of angels sing him to his rest.

Last edited:

Kenzie

Registered
Reaction score
How terrible. It's a truly confronting thing, when a loved one was obviously in so much mental/emotional pain that they can end their life in a violent manner. I'm so sorry.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
So very sorry, ((((((((joycey)))))))). Prayers to you and their family. ((((((HUGS)))))).