Email Puzzle - Your thoughts?

Dreaming

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings folks!

So here's the scenario:

You're in your 20's - early 30's. You've got a buddy you've been partying and hanging out with at least three or four times a week - sometimes every day(!!!) for the past two months. Sometimes he/she contacts you about hanging, and vice versa, but it's a regular weekly blast with no major beefs in between. It's nonstop hanging and you both agree that getting out is a must. Then you get the following email from your buddy on a Tuesday:

Hey __,
There's a great event going on this Sunday. We should go. Should be a cool party.

I Hope your week is fabulous!

Any initial thoughts?
I'll explain after a get a few responses

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Your friend's getting married. For the last two months the as-of-yet mentioned spouse-to-be has been (pick excuse: abroad, in jail, whutevah). The non-stop has been your friend's pre-wedding wildness with best friend or more-than.

All the rehearsals and yadda yadda begin on Wednesday?
(oh hush, a girl can hope.)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
He wants to do something on Sunday. Seems normal enough to me that time spent together can spread out a bit if it's been that frequent.

I'd assume it was a natural progression.

Dreaming

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are funny!

Nope, not a natural progression. Abrupt and out of the blue! Now here's where the puzzle comes in. I get the hint "I need space" yet, SHE'S the one who contacted me the most about hanging out, so I felt a bit miffed. In other words, I wouldn't have felt slighted if she just didn't bother to contact me until Sunday instead of the needless, "have a nice week" comment.

In any case, her "hint" was a blessing in disguise. I had gotten used to our rhthym of hanging, thus, neglected my other friends (who are not as accessible, but available at times). Had a cool weekend without her and didn't bother to call about Sunday's event. (You want space? I'll give ya plenty!) Then she writes me the next week asking if anything is new. I'm like, Huh? Then when I tell her, "Oh, I went to a couple of cool parties." She's like, "Partying without ME? Well, please pencil me in when you can."

HUH?:Shrug:

I told my best friend about this just to see if I was being too sensitive. We both agreed that WE are cool enough with each other to say, "hey, we've been smothering each other, let's chill for a week. I need to hang with other friends." Sounds much better than "have a nice week" - say what you mean! Mean what you say! Okay, I'm finished :Soapbox:. Girl friendships can be so confusing when you're not REAL with each other. Ya know?

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I am totally befuddled by this entire discussion. I wouldn't have thought twice about the initial email or read anything at all into it, other than she wanted me to have a great week and wanted to hang out with me on Sunday.

Is this why I have almost no female friends? :Wha:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I like it straight out and simple, too :)

A lot of people are just afraid of anything that might offend someone in the least, and they act kind of odd/uncomfortable about those things.

I don't get it, but they're alright :)

Dreaming

Registered
Reaction score
Glad you understand me Backslash!

JO, are you male or female?

Trust me, it's not easy, but it's certainly possible to have harmonious friendships with females. I just like folks to be straight with me, especially when we've already had a breakthrough discussion about being real with each other. For example, when I had a brief but beautiful romance with a guy, I explained to this friend that I wouldn't forget her, and I proved myself royally. A lotta good that did me! :rant: lol

Dreaming

Registered
Reaction score
Well Jo..sigh...sadly these days and times...you can still be pregnant...and male... :(

But on a serious note, CONGRATS!:Hug2::hooray:

So are you saying you literally don't have any female friends, or very few? If so, will your shower be limited to family? And finally, did you have female friends and none of the unions worked out? Of neva, eva? I ask because I've never encountered a female who has never tried to dip their painted toe nails into troubled female friendship waters! :)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Well Jo..sigh...sadly these days and times...you can still be pregnant...and male... :(

But on a serious note, CONGRATS!:Hug2::hooray:

So are you saying you literally don't have any female friends, or very few? If so, will your shower be limited to family? And finally, did you have female friends and none of the unions worked out? Of neva, eva? I ask because I've never encountered a female who has never tried to dip their painted toe nails into troubled female friendship waters! :)

Haha, thanks. Yes, I do have some female friends. Just few and far between. I tend to make one close female friend at a time (right now I'm down to zero) and stick with them until we're separated by geography and time. And the girls I end up being friends with aren't into the whole female drama thing - very straightforward, no-nonsense women. So I guess I just never get into the messy stuff. It confuses me to no end. ;)

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
If there's an attachment to this file, it's almost certainly spam. Compose a new email to your friend, quoting from (but not attaching) the email you received, asking if they sent it. If they didn't, it's spam. If it is, you should tell them to stop writing generic emails.

Dreaming

Registered
Reaction score
Priene,

Nope, not spam. She stated something only we'd know about, like: remember the guy we met at such and such... well he's throwing a party. we should go on sunday. so sadly, i can't blame it on da spam :(

Jo, I hear you. Shucks, I'll be pushing zero in no time! lol
I'm learning that it doesn't always pay to be so darn real. We live in a fake society.

In any case, I'm not losing sleep over this. I'm really celebrating. I swear! Like I said, we tend to get wrapped up in patterns with people. By her pulling the party rug from under me, I was forced to hang with my long lost buddies and I had a great time!

p.s. In case you hard-working writers are wondering...this was my summer to party. I completed my sequel, got laid off, so I'm trying to enjoy the heck outta myself before I have to hit the pavement for a job or write my next book (depends on the size of my advance - if I get one!) :)

Alas, I'm home now. Deliberately avoiding Ms. Confusion. I should be sleeping at this time. So let me do just that! Additional comments are welcome for ta'morrow!

*pulling down the Nightshade in honor of Jo* ;)

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I like it straight out and simple, too :)

Can't say I agree with the first part of this sentence, but I like it simple, too.

I go out for a couple beers with a friend every 3 or 4 weeks - same time, same dive. When he calls, I see his name and say, "What's up, Steve?"

"9:30?"

"That'll work."

Short, simple, and to the point. Unfortunately, the same approach doesn't work so well with my wife. :Shrug:

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
uh, I would have thought nothing of this email, except that

a) there was a party on Sun that friend wanted you to go to with them

b) they wanted you to have a nice week.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
I am totally befuddled by this entire discussion. I wouldn't have thought twice about the initial email or read anything at all into it, other than she wanted me to have a great week and wanted to hang out with me on Sunday.

Is this why I have almost no female friends? :Wha:

Me too. If someone wants me to know something, they better just come out and say it. I'm not wasting more than about .04 seconds trying to "read into" what you're talking about. :/

"Want to hang out on sunday?"

"Yeah, sure."

That means exactly what it says, as far as I'm concerned. And if it doesn't... well... you should have just said what you meant, then. :)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
This is straight out of bizarro land.

I'm grateful neither my girlfriends or I are this confusing. We say what we mean, and if we're busy or whatever we'll speak up about it.

No wonder men think we're complex and crazy. Some women are just letting down my side!