PDA

View Full Version : Name your Firefly...

sleepsheep
09-01-2009, 02:46 AM
What show did you absolutely fall in love with, only to find out that it wasn't going to be renewed past the first season... that is, other than Firefly. My two top candidates are Dresden Files and New Amsterdam. I don't think New Amsterdam even made it through a full season before they cut it. Such a bummer, 'cause it had major potential.

So, name your Firefly! :)

dclary
09-01-2009, 02:56 AM
Um...

Firefly.

Kathleen42
09-01-2009, 02:58 AM
Other than Firefly? Just one?

You hurt me, sheep.

Freaks and Geeks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmCpmEQD0L4)

[and because picking one is impossible: MTV's Downtown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYN927Ol4Lc), The Tick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFSXOEnW_eE) (live action), Wonderfalls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25EaSgw9xY4)]

JoNightshade
09-01-2009, 03:09 AM
Um, I'm going to sound like a teenage girl here, but Kyle XY.

(ETA: Whoops, just realized you said first season. Kyle got 3 I think.)

childeroland
09-01-2009, 04:13 AM
My So-Called Life.
Profit.
American Gothic.
Aaron's Way.
Blue Skies.

katiemac
09-01-2009, 04:13 AM
I've been lucky, I think. Chuck came pretty close this season (it's second, but I never sas the first), but it's coming back. So is Dollhouse, although I don't totally love it but I expect to once it's in its second season.

I didn't watch Firefly until it was already off the air. (Thank you, Hulu.)

So far I've missed the axe on stuff I like. But then again I like to think I have excellent taste and don't watch things with potential to get cut. ;)

dgiharris
09-01-2009, 05:07 AM
Just when the Firefly scab was about to heal, another thread comes along and rips it right open again.

DAMN YOU FOX!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!

Why did you have to cancel Firefly!!!

DAMN YOU!!!

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc326/dgiharris/Klingon-death-cry.jpg

Mel...

Pomegranate
09-01-2009, 05:08 AM
Wonderfalls
The Middleman

Folofop
09-01-2009, 05:10 AM
Haha, great pic choice Mel.

I can't really think of any shows that have been cut, I was pretty gutted when Futurama got canned but that's back now.

dgiharris
09-01-2009, 05:12 AM
Even though it's not a show.

I can't believe they dropped the Ball on a Galaxy Quest Sequel.

Fcking Tim Allen. I think he opted to do ZOOM instead. Yeah, great choice dickweed

Mel..

som1luvsmi
09-01-2009, 05:14 AM
Just when the Firefly scab was about to heal, another thread comes along and rips it right open again.

DAMN YOU FOX!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!

Why did you have to cancel Firefly!!!

DAMN YOU!!!

Mel feels my pain.

I'm with the others where my other favorites only made it a couple of seasons:
Dead Like Me
Chuck (is it really coming back??? *is hopeful*
Eli Stone ( I heard a rumor, so I'm not sure about this one)

Those are the ones just off the top of my head. :)

5bcarnies
09-01-2009, 05:20 AM
Aside from Firefly...Day Break. I caught it on hulu. Wished I had been able to see it when it originally aired. But for as much as I loved it, to continue that type of format for another season, it would probably make my head go BOOM!!!

katiemac
09-01-2009, 05:22 AM
Mel feels my pain.

I'm with the others where my other favorites only made it a couple of seasons:
Dead Like Me
Chuck (is it really coming back??? *is hopeful*
Eli Stone ( I heard a rumor, so I'm not sure about this one)

Those are the ones just off the top of my head. :)

Chuck is coming back. ;) But probably not until the spring, and even then I think they're giving it a shorter season and they're making budget cuts. But it's coming back.

K. Taylor
09-01-2009, 05:24 AM
New Amsterdam was a mid-season premiere, so it got it's initial order run, but they moved it around a lot. Thing is, the ratings weren't bad, just not spectacular, and Fox just wanted more. Loved what we got of that show.

Firefly hurt, though at least we got a movie. And a lot of the cast have done well since.

dgiharris
09-01-2009, 05:30 AM
ANother utterly Brilliant Sci-Fi show to get the can was

Space: Above and Beyond

http://i2.iofferphoto.com/img/item/362/213/76/saab.jpg

I think the problem with Sci-Fi is that it has always been the red headed step child to the other genres. As if, you can't get serious drama out of Sci-Fi.

And thus, I think the 'decision' to keep or drop Sci-Fi is made by those who do not understand Sci-Fi or love Sci-Fi.

Thus, whenever Sci-Fi doesn't fit into their nice little molds, they drop it DESPITE the fact that no other genre has as loyal a fanbase as Sci-Fi.

Mel...

poetinahat
09-01-2009, 05:30 AM
Sea Change

chocowrites
09-01-2009, 05:32 AM
Firefly! Still haven't gotten over that one...
And Veronica Mars...but that got 2 or 3 seasons.

5bcarnies
09-01-2009, 06:08 AM
Oh, and Tru Calling. Thank you Fox for moving that shows timeslot every which way because of American Idol. At least we get Eilza Dushku in Dollhouse.

Zoombie
09-01-2009, 06:26 AM
DAMN YOU FOX!

DAMN YOU TO HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLl!

dclary
09-01-2009, 06:26 AM
ANother utterly Brilliant Sci-Fi show to get the can was

Space: Above and Beyond

http://i2.iofferphoto.com/img/item/362/213/76/saab.jpg

I think the problem with Sci-Fi is that it has always been the red headed step child to the other genres. As if, you can't get serious drama out of Sci-Fi.

And thus, I think the 'decision' to keep or drop Sci-Fi is made by those who do not understand Sci-Fi or love Sci-Fi.

Thus, whenever Sci-Fi doesn't fit into their nice little molds, they drop it DESPITE the fact that no other genre has as loyal a fanbase as Sci-Fi.

Mel...

The problem with S:A&B was that it was simply "Combat! In Space!" -- I mean, seriously. It was just every army-based series you've ever watched, recast and set in space.

dgiharris
09-01-2009, 06:30 AM
The problem with S:A&B was that it was simply "Combat! In Space!" -- I mean, seriously. It was just every army-based series you've ever watched, recast and set in space.

Which made it that much more awesome.

But seriously, I remember a few episodes that had tons of drama, enabling the whole exploration of what it means to be human in the grips of a war...

But hey, if all you saw was space fights, then que sera sera

As for me, my memories are a bit different. I loved the show

Mel...

Zoombie
09-01-2009, 06:31 AM
They should let me write that "retelling the American revolution in the asteroid belt" TV show, where Benjamin Franklin is an African DJ who broadcasts from his personalized space ship, Three Dog style, and everyone fights with knives cause no one wants to puncture the hull of the space ship.

It all translates remarkably well.

poetinahat
09-01-2009, 06:34 AM
I wish Pushing Daisies would be someone's Firefly. It really, truly needs to be, er, made to live up to its name. It's utterly painful to watch - sickly sweet, but with poorly thought-out substance. Like a cotton-candy corndog.

Which is a shame, because, in better hands, it could be quite fun.

SirOtter
09-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Most of ya'll will likely have to look these up on IMDb - just to show this phenomenon is not new, I'm presenting them in more-or-less chronological order, beginning with 1965:

My Living Doll
The Smothers Brothers Show (NOT the notorious comedy hour, this was a sitcom that preceded it)
The Green Hornet
The Girl From UNCLE
Captain Nice
Mr. Terrific
Coronet Blue
When Things Were Rotten
Probe (co-created by Isaac Asimov)
Misfits of Science

Kathleen42
09-01-2009, 06:43 AM
I wish Pushing Daisies would be someone's Firefly. It really, truly needs to be, er, made to live up to its name. It's utterly painful to watch - sickly sweet, but with poorly thought-out substance. Like a cotton-candy corndog.

Which is a shame, because, in better hands, it could be quite fun.

The few times I made myself sit through an episode, I had to keep fighting the urge to turn it off and put on Wonderfalls.

Cyia
09-01-2009, 06:57 AM
I really liked Drive, but it only got 4 episodes on air and 2 more on line. :(

Leah J. Utas
09-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Firefly is my Firefly.

Satori1977
09-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Freaks and Geeks totally. Just watched Adventureland with Martin Starr (Bill Haverchuck), made me miss the show so bad.
Tru Calling (though i think it made it two seasons)
My So-Called Life

Satori1977
09-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Firefly! Still haven't gotten over that one...
And Veronica Mars...but that got 2 or 3 seasons.

Veronica Mars was 3 seasons. And yes, it was cut too short

K. Taylor
09-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Yes, Tru Calling improved 2nd season, IMO, but Fox moved it around so much around baseball then didn't promote that schedule. They really seem to love to sink a show. :( Same thing happened to Firefly.

dgiharris
09-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Back in 2005 ish There was a show called Starved that appeared on Fox or FX or TNT???

It was an incredible show about eating disorders and addiction. Unfortunately, it only made it like 5 episodes before it got canned.

http://sharetv.org/images/starved-show.jpg

Mel...

stldenise
09-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Firefly left such a scar I have a hard time getting attached to anything that's new. American Gothic was sooooo good too! (There's someone at the door...)

And I'm going to date myself here: Voyagers!
Ok, I was 12, give me a break. And I thought Phineas was cute.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/ab/Hexum_Peluce.jpg/275px-Hexum_Peluce.jpg
I cried when Jon-Erik Hexum shot himself with that prop gun and died. Stupid way to go.

dclary
09-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Veronica Mars was 3 seasons. And yes, it was cut too short

Worst. show. ever.

Prozyan
09-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Miracles, with Angus MacFadyen and Skeet Ulrich. On ABC, I believe. Got put on hiatus by the Iraq invasion in 2003 and never came back.

Also, Odyessy 5 on Showtime.

DeleyanLee
09-01-2009, 09:19 PM
When Things Were Rotten

Yes!

And Quark, starring Richard Benjamin. So many people don't believe me that the show actually existed when I mention it.

Leah J. Utas
09-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Cupid. The original from way back when (98-99) with Jeremy Piven and Paula Marshall.
John Doe with Dominic Purcell.

SirOtter
09-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Ten Speed and Brownshoe

S.J.
09-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Firefly left such a scar I have a hard time getting attached to anything that's new.

Yeah... same here. :cry:

Also, this doesn't really count since it had seven whole seasons, but I only have like four episodes of 'The West Wing' left to watch and am dreading the parting.

This is a sad thread.

Nightfly
09-08-2009, 10:33 AM
I was surprised when they cancelled Arrested Development but I'm with PoetinHat -I thought Pushing Daisies was really great. I didn't make a point to watch it but if I came across it I always enjoyed it. And I liked knowing it was out there.

Lyra Jean
09-08-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't know how many seasons this show had but I miss Lexx. I thought that show was awesome.

robeiae
09-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Joanie Loves Chachi.

SirOtter
09-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Yes!

And Quark, starring Richard Benjamin. So many people don't believe me that the show actually existed when I mention it.

Absolutely! I'm almost ashamed that I forgot to mention it in my list.

Speaking of Richard Benjamin, He & She was another great short run show. Benjamin played a comic book artist, Paula Prentiss was his wife and Jack Cassidy was hilarious as the TV incarnation of Benjamin's hero. It won an Emmy, but only lasted one season.

I know it managed to survive for four seasons on AMC, but I sure miss Remember WENN. Hell, I miss AMC. It used to be the best channel on cable. Thank God for TCM.

dpaterso
09-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Ultraviolet (http://www.world-productions.com/wp/Content/shows/other/uv/uvhome.htm)

Superclassy Brit TV vampire series from the late '90s. Only 1 series, 6 x 1-hour episodes. Couldn't understand why there wasn't more.

"We are the afterlife. There is nothing else."

-Derek

shawkins
09-09-2009, 02:37 AM
I loved Action, the Jay Mohr comedy about the world's sleaziest movie producer. Unfortunately I was the only one.

Mr Flibble
09-09-2009, 03:19 AM
Hyperdrive (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481449/)

Brits bumbling in space. With that dude from Shaun of the Dead.

Kurtz
09-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Fringe is probably going to has get cancelled :(

It was like the X-files, but even more stupid and over the top. It also had Daniels from the Wire and one the the Italian guys from Band of Brothers. And a cow. The cow was a crucial part of the story if I remember correctly. However, it did not have a neo-nazi like Mulder in the X-files, which was either a blessing or a curse.

sleepsheep
09-11-2009, 02:25 AM
I would also add Kings to my list. It wasn't perfect, but I would've wanted at least one more season. The acting was quite nice.

My-Immortal
09-11-2009, 02:32 AM
Deadwood only got three seasons....would have liked more.

Firefly is my Firefly too.

Also, would have liked to have more Dresden Files...

Going to have to rewatch Firefly DVDs again...

Regan Leigh
09-11-2009, 02:34 AM
My So-Called Life.

YES!

Angela: Sometimes someone says something really small and it just fits into this empty place in your heart.

Angela: My parents keep asking how school was. It's like saying, "How was that drive-by shooting?" You don't care how it *was*, you're lucky to get out alive.

She was early 90's Emo. Loved her. :)