Help my daydream: ideal city for a writer?

wrtaway

to be determined later
Registered
Reaction score
Admit it - you sometimes fantasize about what you'd do if your writing brought you fame and fortune...

I don't need fame, but I would really love a beautiful lakefront home, somewhere spacious and green, with a gourmet kitchen and a perfect writer's studio out back. The problem with this little daydream o' mine is that I can't decide where my dream house should be.

I'm thinking Vermont? But I've never been there. It can't be too rural, because I live on takeout sushi and thai food, so there has to be easy access to ethnic food.

Where else?

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd settle for an English market town, Wantage, Richmond (N.Yorks) or perhaps a nice village like Lambourn.

If I going to live in a City it would either have to be London, probably Primrose Hill, or Paris.

Ah...to dream.

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
I'd stay right where I am. We live in the beautiful country on the coast of Maine. Everything is within driving distance, but my town only has 2500 people. I can't see my neighbors. But I would remodel my house to exactly how I want it, including a huge greenhouse out back.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the person... Right now I live in the city (ick). I would prefer to live in a cottage in the country...... But that's just me :)
Newfoundland, Canada is a nice province:)

Reaction score
Edinburgh.

I'd love to live in Edinburgh. And having been there with a fellow AWer, it's extra special now. :D

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Sigh. I dream about this all the time. I would love to live in Savannah Georgia because it is beautiful, but I don't do well in sweltering, flesh-melting heat and humidity. Ditto New Orleans.

Someplace with amazing Victorians, small-townish, lots of charm and character, where the houses don't all look like they were built en-masse by some heartless contractor who raped and desecrated the land before he built his ode to modern living. You know, like Poltergeist.

Reaction score
We'd drink the place dry! :D

(It's a date...when I'm rich and famous. As long as I can bring Colin).

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. It's so pretty though. Well, I haven't been back since the horror of Katrina... but Bourbon Street... Oh, I'd pay money to go drinking with you on Bourbon Street.

We'd drink the place dry! :D

(It's a date...when I'm rich and famous. As long as I can bring Colin).

burbonst.jpg

Reaction score
Yep. That's about what'll happen when me and bettielee hit the town.

Don't judge us.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
You'd like it here, B. We have everything you say, including fall color, but we melt in the summer :( Asheville! You have to visit Asheville! It's a good 10 degrees cooler there in the mountains, too.

wrtaway, the lake is throwing me. The lakes I can think of are either ridiculously built up or not near sushi :) The Italian lake district would be a favorite! Or little Lake Lure, NC, but I don't know that they eat raw fish :)

cher79

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Chicago and am quite sick of it, actually. Haven't traveled much throughout the US...but I visited Milwaukee and liked it. Maybe I'd write at a coffee shop or near the lakefront. Basically, anywhere with less road construction, warmer weather, less people and less traffic would be GREAT!

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
How about St Andrews, Scotland - lots of (golf) ghosts there.
Or, Bellingham Washington, USA - munch on Dungeness Crab and view the beauty of the Pacific Northwest.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere a lot cooler than Texas. The heat here is oppressive at times.

Antarctica sounds pretty swell today.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
They're saying all the heat came from up north.

blamecanada.jpg

I'm just saying...