WTF?! Royalty Statements?!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I just recieved two royalty statements from PA out of the blue...

I was released from both contracts 4 YEARS ago and one did not even go into print because of my resistance. I have not recieved any royalty statements in all this time and yet here they come out of nowhere with zero books sold, thank goodness or I'd really be mad.

Any other released authors recieve royalty statements via e-mail?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to add, I did double check, they do not have my books listed on their site and the status on amazon has not changed. What is going on?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's probably just a computer thing. You're in the database, so you get a statement.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but why after 4 years? I mean I haven't heard hide or hair from them since January of 2005 when I got my two release forms. Then this out of the blue. I'm just blown away.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Maybe they still want to count you as one of their "happy, dammit" authors, as in: We count our authors by the number of royalty statements we send out. Beats me. I'm a current author (yuck!) and I haven't received a royalty statement via mail or e-mail, nor have I received the e-mail stating that I should be on the lookout for a royalty statement. *"No author left behind" -- what a joke!!!

*Wording from an Infocenter post on the PAMB regarding PA authors not receiving notices that royalty statements were being sent out.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Or like herpes, the gift that keeps on giving. *snork*

Sounds like their usual incompetence/computer glitch/whatever.
Someone pushed the wrong button.

Let's hope they accidentally send checks to all the names in the database.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Icerose,

I am not an attorney, but I did get an attorney's opinion on this as it applies to my own situation.

If your situation is like mine, PA returned your rights to you and probably invoked whatever clause it is that allows them to discontinue publication.

That action does not terminate the contract, and an individual has to go to court or arbitration to rescind it. All other clauses of the contract remain in effect, including the one that states they will send a royalty statement every six months.

I have not received one for a year.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, Maria, I got mine before yours and it clearly stated the contract was terminated. I was literally set free and as I understand it, I am among the few. I think it's because I caught them in a pretty big lie. That is that my book would be available at all times as stated via my contract. I tried ordering three copies of my books through amazon.com and a few other people did as well. The order could not be completed, they couldn't get the books to me through amazon.com. When I confronted them about it, they kept on spinning different stories, then came back with "Yes, it is so available!" sort of reply. Then I replied with their own e-mail from the same person who was saying that, showing that it was indeed unavailable, but I could purchase it from their website!

It was silent for a while, then about a month later I was released completely from both contracts, one was cancelled entirely from print the day it was supposed to be released and they cancelled over 40 orders for that book that I know of.

I guess I was too much of a liability or something. To this day I don't completely understand it, I was so depressed on the march up to the book release, the cover was hideous and had absolutely nothing to do with my book. They had added errors into the copy the whole 9 yards. I was about to send them an e-mail saying they won, I would not be asking for my rights back anymore, but they would not be recieving any more communications from me, when the e-mail freeing me came. The letters arrived in the mail the next day. After that it only took me about 4 years to write another novel...

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how your contracts read, and that would make a difference.

There was no termination clause in mine, so they couldn't just terminate it at will, and they did not want it rescinded during arbitration.

All they could do was return my rights and invoke the clause that permitted them to cease publication due to lack of sales.

backroadbooks

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gloriamarlow.com
Dave, Where do I forward the statement? I received one via email...5 years after I was released from my contract. I really hoped my name was forever banished from their records. Thanks.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how your contracts read, and that would make a difference.

There was no termination clause in mine, so they couldn't just terminate it at will, and they did not want it rescinded during arbitration.

All they could do was return my rights and invoke the clause that permitted them to cease publication due to lack of sales.

Mine had a termination clause in it that they could terminate it at any time.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I received my royalty statement last Friday. It was a whopping $6.99. Five books sold in the last six months, according to PublishAmerica. Realistically, though, these were book sales that happened almost a year ago that I have been waiting to get paid a royalty for. I knew three of the people who ordered the book through Amazon, so when I received my first royalty statement that said one book had sold (and it was through PA's bookstore on their website), I was concerned. I knew I wasn't going to receive a large royalty statement as my eyes had been opened to PA's business model (thank you, AW!) and my friends and family's reaction to the $24.95 retail price said volumes without them having to actually say a word. I didn't realize that a book purchased in October of 2008 wouldn't show up on my royalty statement until September of 2009!!! Six more years and my book will be back in my hands. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was signing with PublishAmerica. Lesson learned.