Close calls

A.R. Starr

Writing Addict & Proud Of It
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenderbard.proboards.com
My 2 year old cat came very close to discovering if he really does have nine lives or not. And gave me a heart attack in the process.

He got up on my balcony railing (I live in a second story flat) and sat there. So very not allowed, so I went out to end playtime and bring him inside. Talon saw me coming and decided to meet me half way. To my horror, he simply toppled straight off the railing as he was walking.

Luckily, he managed to cling to the edge of the balcony by his claws until I could reach him and drag him back up. Worst minute or two of my life, but Talon (of course) has forgotten all about it already.

Fellow pet owners, how have your pets given you grey hair?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
2 stories??? he would have been fine. (-;

my dog once got stuck under water. gave me a huge fright...and she was clawing like crazy, so it was hard to get her out. panic had set in. long story, but she went under a dock.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Yeah, one of mine did that from the seventh floor when he was a kitten (see av). That was the last time unsupervised kitty balcony time was allowed. :) And his brother did take a dive off our elevated (maybe 9 feet?) backyard deck a year later. I frantically went running down to fetch him and he gave me this look like 'what's your problem?'

Glad yours is okay too.

A.R. Starr

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenderbard.proboards.com
Talon's a ginger cat too. I'd ask why ginger cats have such a fasination with high places, but my older ginger female cat has too much sense for the sort of stunts Talon pulls off.

Maybe it's a male cat thing?

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
(I live in a second story flat)
Do you guys use the American floor method (ground floor, second floor...etc), or the British one (ground floor, first floor, etc)?
We live in a two storey house, and when we left the windows open in the summer, one of our cats used to habitually wander out of them onto the window ledge outside. The window ledge that's two or three inches wide, and on the first floor (British).

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
A.R Star I hope you have recovered from your shock.

My home in Stratford-upon-Avon was three stories high. The window in my bedroom, which was on the third floor, was always open. One morning I was woken up by Spud the Cat jumping off the bed and onto the widow sill. He then went walkabout on the roof. He was fourteen years old and should have known better. I was terrified that he would slip and fall but he walked back in through the window and demanded breakfast!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My sister's cat fell from a 13th story balcony and all that resulted was a bout of hissing and spitting and dilated pupils. I had to lure her out of the hedges with a can of cat food and pounce on her with a blanket.

A.R. Starr

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenderbard.proboards.com
We use the ground floor, second floor method. And yes, I've recovered, thank you. :)

At least this time he wasn't trying to crawl into the oven, puffing up like a balloon after an allergic reaction to god knows what, eat a redback spider or drown himself in the toilet. I swear my vet is getting sick of seeing Talon.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We use the ground floor, second floor method. And yes, I've recovered, thank you. :)

At least this time he wasn't trying to crawl into the oven, puffing up like a balloon after an allergic reaction to god knows what, eat a redback spider or drown himself in the toilet. I swear my vet is getting sick of seeing Talon.

I'm glad your cat's okay!

Mine has never risked her own life, but she has nearly killed me on a few occasions. She's bad about getting under my feet and tripping me, and once made me fall down the stairs. She also bites me for absolutely no reason, usually when I'm reading; she likes the taste of my blood. It's definitely an abusive relationship...

She's evil, but I love her. :)

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com

Mine has never risked her own life, but she has nearly killed me on a few occasions. She's bad about getting under my feet and tripping me, and once made me fall down the stairs. She also bites me for absolutely no reason, usually when I'm reading; she likes the taste of my blood. It's definitely an abusive relationship...

me and smish have the same cat!

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
The house I live in now is about 400 years old and still has the brick built bread oven, which Muzzcat slept in the first night he was here! It is quite a large structure and is not very clean so he had a bath the next morning. He was used to being bathed as he loved olives and used to eat them and play with them - but he always ponged a bit after. He very quickly worked out that if he was on the landing when I was coming upstairs he could clump me on the head. The first time he did that I jumped out of my skin because I thought he was asleep downstairs! He had such an evil sense of humour!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks goodness your kitty is okay.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
My first kitty out on my own was a bit of a drama queen. Very tough, but melodramatic. One night my boyfriend and I were watching movies and she sneaked a sip of his lemonade.

She shook her head and then let herself drool. Slowly she dragged herself to his lap and collapsed as if from the vapors. We told her it was fine, just lemonade, but she'd have none of that. No no - she'd had a good life and would go out like a trooper.

So I'd better chock that up as one of her 9 lives, to allow her to save face :D

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He very quickly worked out that if he was on the landing when I was coming upstairs he could clump me on the head. The first time he did that I jumped out of my skin because I thought he was asleep downstairs! He had such an evil sense of humour!

Lol. When my cat was a kitten, she liked to hang out on the ledge of the bathtub, between the shower curtain and the shower curtain liner. It was great fun, apparently, to jump out and scare me to death. Once, she did it while I was brushing my teeth, and startled me so badly I ended up with the toothbrush up my nose. Toothpaste in the nose is awful by the way... and very hard to clean out!

Sigh. Now that I think about it, while she's still evil, it was far worse when she was a kitten.

Every time I opened the refrigerator, she'd be there when I closed the door -- like a monster in a horror movie. I got into the habit of checking to see where she was before I opened the refrigerator. She could be in a completely different room in the apartment, and I could throw the door open quickly to grab the milk -- a few seconds' time, tops -- and she'd be laying there calmly when I closed the door, as though she'd been there all along. It was CREEPY! I'm very glad she's stopped doing that!

:)Smish

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score

We had a cat that bit. She'd catch you unawares and nip the blood out of you. We tried everything to break her, even biting back. She learned to dip her ears down against her head when she seen it coming, but she kept biting. The vet suggested we get her a kitten. Overnight, problem solved. Now none of them bite.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had a cat that bit. She'd catch you unawares and nip the blood out of you. We tried everything to break her, even biting back. She learned to dip her ears down against her head when she seen it coming, but she kept biting. The vet suggested we get her a kitten. Overnight, problem solved. Now none of them bite.

I wish that would work for my cat, but she's not good with other animals. My former roommate got a kitten and my cat went nuts. She hissed constantly, and was even meaner than usual. :(

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
We used to have this huuuuuuge old oak tree in our back yard, about 12 feet up to the "crotch" where the first branches split. (It was actually protected by the city, this is how old and huge it was.) My cat would get a good running start and dash right up the tree, which had great traction for his claws. Then he'd keep climbing, up and up and up into the branches. We're talking at least two stories high. One of the larger branches came down just about a foot over our roof, and eventually he'd make his way there and onto the roof. Depending on his mood, he'd either jump down after a while or peer over the gutter and meow until someone came and stood on a chair and spare his highness the indignity of THUMPING loudly onto the porch.

Scared the crap out of us the first couple of times he did it, but it soon became clear Mr. Kitty had no fear of trees or heights.