Computer Virus Warning

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I doubt this is the best place for this, but I hope to reach as many people as possible about a new and really bad adware virus out there. The mods may want to move this to another place, but I hope to reach as many folks out there as I can.

The only thing we know right now is that it connects to IDS adware protection. It gives you a blue screen with a 'you've been infected' warning.

My wife got this thing without knowing how. Unlike me, she is computer savvy. Suddenly, her computer started rebooting. She severed the internet connection in a half-second or so and pulled the plug and removed the battery to the laptop, didn't matter.

This one is really bad. She has had to replace her hard drive.

If you do get this virus, don't force a 'safemode boot' through windows. If you do that, your computer will go into an 'endless loop', and your hard drive is history.

Until the anti-virus companies get a handle on this one, it might be a good idea to limit visits to unknown sites for a while.

Don't click on any boxes to close pop-ups. Back up all your files now. Don't wait, back 'em up asap.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
To clarify, my wife works for a state university, and her computer was worked on by the IT dept.

We didn't just arbitrarily decide the hard drive was toast. They stated the virus was a new one, and a particularly bad one.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Joe - it would be helpful if you could tell us specifically what IDS software has been compromised. IDS is a general term meaning Intrusion Detection System, but it doesn't help in identifying the threat. Generally US-CERT is the first response team for all such issues, but I haven't found any recent alerts that might correspond to what you are describing.

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/alldocs.html

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I haven't read any alerts on this either, but I manually clicked on my antivirus software's "Update now" option just in case there were any new virus signatures waiting to come down, and sure enough there were. What else can ya do except make sure you're up to date, and cross your fingers.

-Derek

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
My Norton was auto-updated 11 seconds ago and counting :D No, I'm not joking.
It would have updated around when I started reading this thread.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Joe - it would be helpful if you could tell us specifically what IDS software has been compromised. IDS is a general term meaning Intrusion Detection System, but it doesn't help in identifying the threat.

Sorry, I can't help you and neither can the ID dept at the university. These things are from overseas, primarily, and people pay ten bucks or so to have their computers 'repaired', but they don't remove the virus.

It sucks.

This one is worse than most because your op sys is shot. Paying them doesn't remove it.

You can only back stuff up now, and constantly, because this is the new wave of hacker crap. You have to buy an new hard drive to rid your computer of this adware.

Sucks.