Marriage Days

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Something got me thinking...another thread, as a matter of fact. The thread about Marriage Proposals.

We need a thread about the "Marriage Day".

The day you got married, or how you would want such a day to go.
If your day went worse than mine, or goes worse then mine, you have no idea how much I am sorry for your day!

My day:

It was late in the week, Friday to be exact, and I was working. I was due to go overseas for a tour not too far from this day. Having found out that even with the time constraint that I would not be able to take a day off for this. So, it was decided that I would have to go and get married during my lunch break. This decision did not sit well with some that were a little above my position, they decided and threatened that if I did not make it back in time that I would be in for hell. I would have extra-duty and well hell to pay for it.

So, in my pretty green BDUs, I hobbled into a car with Jacob and a friend who was taking us to the Justic of Peace. Jacob was also sick this day, he had (shhhh I never said this) tp stuffed up his nose, it was that bad!

We get there, oh I failed to mention that I was on crutches at the time as well. So he was sick, and I was broken. The elderly ladies found this all to be quite amusing. Payed for everything, finally went to do it, sat my crutches aside, I wasn't about to not be able to stand there on my own!

We end up having to rush back to work, literally. Got there, of course, late. I get yelled at for the timing, just to find myself face-to-face with someone who was definitely superior to my rank. Turns out that, I never had to rush. I never had to worry about it at all. That the SOBs were wrong and I could have easily have taken a day if they would have talked to him about it.

Turns out that they found this all to be very amusing.
Finally get home, had goolash for dinner, went to bed and got ready for the next day of work.

This may not seem too bad, or sad. However, it was terrible. Even as I stood there I couldn't concentrate because I couldn't help but worry over the judgment (lack of a better word) to come. In pain, on crutches for more reasons then one, and he was sick? Yeah, fun times!

Bah, your turn!

Last edited:

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
The only really pathetic part of my wedding was the budget. We'd just bought a house and there was no way I was going get more in debt for one stupid day, so I did everything on the cheap.

Engagement ring - $50
Wedding Ring - $77
Wedding dress - $200 made by mother-in-law
Flowers - $50 arranged by bridesmaid & me the morning of the wedding
Hair & make-up - free (I have good friends)
Ceremony Venue - free
Reception venue - free
Shoes - $50
Food - $1000 (or something like that)
Alcohol - $1500
Cars - Free
Invites - $30 (made & printed by bridesmaid & me)
Photographer - $100 and a free meal
DJ - $100 and a free meal

And I think that was it.

We had one hell of a party though. :D

Hettie

Once and future Queen......
Registered
Reaction score
Mine was lovely really... the videographer was too short to film most of the wedding and did not bring an extra battery. My dad was late and I was certain he did not come. He met my husband AFTER the wedding (my brother-in-law gave me away as planned). My mother had a wig on that scared us to death! Her 6th husband was there, but was not speaking to her...

But, really, it was lovely! We were married in the church where I worked (Catholic school) by our very close friend the priest. 400 or so of our friends and family were there. My first kindergarten class (6th graders at the time) sang instead of a soloist. We had 6 bridesmaids, 6 groomsmen, 4 flower girls and 4 ring bearers.... My daughter was 2 at the time and ever so precious!

Did I mention I worked at a Catholic School... Yep... that is the story!

The happiest day of our lives!

Here we are 8.5 years later, and only regret the videographer, and not asking my dad to give me away!

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
The only really pathetic part of my wedding was the budget. We'd just bought a house and there was no way I was going get more in debt for one stupid day, so I did everything on the cheap.

Engagement ring - $50
Wedding Ring - $77
Wedding dress - $200 made by mother-in-law
Flowers - $50 arranged by bridesmaid & me the morning of the wedding
Hair & make-up - free (I have good friends)
Ceremony Venue - free
Reception venue - free
Shoes - $50
Food - $1000 (or something like that)
Alcohol - $1500
Cars - Free
Invites - $30 (made & printed by bridesmaid & me)
Photographer - $100 and a free meal
DJ - $100 and a free meal

And I think that was it.

We had one hell of a party though. :D

Was this an Irish wedding :D

~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
It rained and we had to postpone it for about half an hour, but in the end our outdoor ceremony was beautiful. Our reception was in a theater and it was a freaking party. If I could redo it now, there are things I would change, but it was absolutely perfect for that time in our lives.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Mine was small - maybe 50 people total, I think we invited 70. I spent most of my budget on two things: wedding dress and photographer. It was a good choice. It was a simple wedding, no big party, no alcohol, no meal, just snacks... but it was lovely and blessedly short and not a hassle at all. I spent the day feeling like the most beautiful woman on earth, probably the only day of my life I have ever felt like that, and that's what I see when I look at our stunning photos. :)

The one bummer was that most of our college friends were coming up one major freeway route, and there was a 20-car pileup that trapped them all in traffic! None of them made it to our ceremony, although they all showed up for the reception. Soooo the church, which was too big for everyone to begin with, looked REALLY empty. I barely noticed. ;)

Kenzie

Registered
Reaction score
Our wedding was basically the best party of our lives, which is just the way we wanted it. We dispensed with most of the formalities and traditions, apart from the actual getting married part, and ate, drank, danced and chatted with 90 of our beloved friends and relatives. I wore an awesome green dress which I'm going to have altered so I can wear it again. The reception was in this mountain rainforest cabins and camping place, they had a huge deck open on all sides with a soaring tin roof, ponds and waterfalls set into the decking itself, a creek running alongside. We played music from a laptop playlist, as eclectic as we could get without playing anything we didn't actually like (I'll never forget the sight of my very formal and proper grandfather boogying like mad to Run DMC) and also had big congo drums and other musical instruments lying around so people could get up and jam along - which many people did. We had firetwirling, games (wedding bingo, everyone got a card with little tasks like 'kiss a bridesmaid', 'ruin a photo', 'do a jig at an inappropriate time', 'slip an Arnold Shwarzneggar quote into conversation' etc., and the first person to cross off all the tasks won a prize) and basically just let people go crazy while we kept them well stocked with good food and drink. Most of our friends partied until sunrise and there's still a lot of talk about the 5am break-in to the park's adventure course with high-wires and flying foxes in the trees with big safety nets underneath.

The only bad parts of the entire day were my panic attack on the way to the ceremony (I think the bigness of it all just overwhelmed me, plus my dress was slightly too tight and I felt like my breathing was a bit restricted) and then at the end of the night, when my husband and I were finally alone in our cabin at about 1am and I burst into tears because I was just exhausted and emotionally overwrought. Otherwise everything was perfect, which is not to say that everything went to plan and nothing went wrong, it was just that those things just didn't really matter on the actual day.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry dude, but that really is kind of pathetic.

Make him renew your vows on your 10th anniversary :) Have a proper wedding. And A DAY OFF.
Yes, I really want to do this over again, the right way. No crutches, no sickness, no wheelchair, no green BDUs, no going back to work, no goolash. None of it. And I'm wearing a damned white dress too. Everyone argues with me on this...but
1. It's my damned day, who cares if it's my second damned day
2. He is my first, my only, why the hell can't I wear a damned white dress!
3. See number 1. :D

Overtired: Your wedding sounded nice, and understandable, given you had bought a house...I like the alcohol part! :D

Hettie!: Your day sounded lovely! I am mean, I would have made my mom do something about the wig. But that's me. :D
And how sad, no one could get the short videographer a stool to stand on?

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I flew down from Papua New Guinea to Sydney. Simple wedding but pleasant. I didn't have any relatives in Australia (that's why I cam here) so it was all Jan's relatives and friends so she was able to really enjoy herself without any family politics. A few days later we flew up to Wewak, on the north coast of New Guinea to a great welcome from all my colleagues. We had a honeymoon patrol, sailing around the Schouten Islands on a government trawler and calling in on islands seldom visited by outsiders. It was very, very different and absolutely unforgettable.

We confirmed our vows after 25 years. That was 15 years ago. I think we'll do it again in ten years time!

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
We still get compliments on our wedding... and it's only been 8 years.

We invited only family-- and only family that we like-- so we had not even fifty people. Which is the part everyone loved. It was small, intimate, and relaxed.

It threatened to rain all week. Sunday-- the first day to get a prediction for Friday's weather-- THE headline on the front of the paper was "low pressure front parks over Michigan." We had an outdoor reception planned. But, it turned out to be a lovely day. Puffy white clouds. Temperature just right.

We had dinner catered, but my MIL still brought a giant salad. (Her biggest fear in life is that people will be hungry... oh well. She's okay.) No alcohol, since we're not drinkers and neither is most of our family. The photographer was a family friend that I used to babysit for and the video was done by my brother's wife's dad-- so no money there. We spent no more than $3k for our wedding and honeymoon.

We, unfortunately, had a miserable time with the marriage prep classes and stuff that the Catholic church requires. It's pretty much the reason I won't call myself a Catholic anymore. =( If I would do it over again, I wouldn't bother with having a church wedding. I'd just do it outside and then have our party.

The best part, however, was with cutting the cake. We cut the cake and fed each other nicely. Then, my older brother, being the dork he is, starting heckling us, saying they wanted to see cake on *someone's* face. So, in wedding dress and all, I chased him down and smeared cake on his face. Heh. =)

It was cheap, small, and fun. I'm still glad we did it that way instead of inviting every person we might possibly be related to and a couple extras. We got to mingle with ALL our guests and still left early for a nap before heading off to Niagara Falls for a couple days.

And... I'll deny this later, since I have a prickly reputation to uphold, but I still love the guy.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I eloped. He and I both wore jeans and t-shirts even though I'd bought a dress for the occasion. Spur of the moment ended up being even more spur of the moment than planned.

Next time I'll do something different. I don't have a "dream wedding" in mind. Bridal magazines were never really my thing. As long as I've got the right man I'll be happy.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
So glad I'm Jewish. No wedding required, and I don't want one. We're going to have two people there to sign the Ketubah (wedding contract), a rabbi to satisfy state law, and possibly someone to take a picture. Ten minutes tops.

Then we're hopping in a plane and going somewhere fun. Woo!

Reaction score
Okay, the OP mentions 'how you would want such a day to go', so as a single person I feel able to reply.

Not into the idea of a grand ceremony at all. I would be more than happy to have the briefest of ceremonies. He does, I do, job done, let's go party.

Don't want a foofy white dress, morning jackets, kilts, a cathedral, none of that. Assuming I get married in my home country, it would be legal to marry anywhere, so good-o.

The reception is important to me, though. I would want my friends to share in the party. I'd be in love, and want them to share my (and Mr Farrell's) happiness. :D

I want a bouncy castle, a three-tier chocolate cake with buttercream icing, a man dressed as Bungle from Rainbow, and our first dance will be a Rick-Roll.

I just want people to laugh and have a good time.

Then on with the marriage. Weddings mean nowt to me. The idea of marriage means everything.

ChrisKelly331

Peter Steele <3
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinakelly.webs.com
I've aways wanted a wedding like the one uncle fester had in Addams Family Values. but my family has already told me they wouldn't come if I had a nighttime wedding in a cemetery :-( so maybe a autumn outdoor wedding near the forest preserve.

Reaction score
It's not their wedding, though. It's yours.

I once told my dad I wouldn't invite him to my wedding and he said, "Why the bloody hell not?"

I replied..."Your parents asked you the same thing when you got married behind their backs, didn't they?"

LorelieBrown

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Shoot! Missed this before I posted. I scanned for "wedding day."

~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
I've aways wanted a wedding like the one uncle fester had in Addams Family Values. but my family has already told me they wouldn't come if I had a nighttime wedding in a cemetery :-( so maybe a autumn outdoor wedding near the forest preserve.

I know a girl (online) who had a Halloween wedding in a cemetery. She wore a fabulous red dress and everyone else was in costume. At the reception they took pictures of themselves lying in coffins (which skeeved me out a little, but to each their own). Besides that, though, I thought it was really unique and beautiful, even though I tend to prefer more traditional wedding styles.

I wish I could link you to her wedding day story-- all of her picture links broke when Shutterfly changed some settings. :(

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
So many nice stories!! I have a link to more nice stories, LoralieBrown had made the thread: What was your actual wedding like?
You can go there for more great stories and thoughts about members wedding days, or how they'd like to go about it. Some very funny recounts!!

Oh my, I agree the whole taking pictures while lying in coffins is a bit, um, too much for me. It's different, I like different, but it's a whole level on it's own kind of different!

I'd like a winter wedding, that's what it should have been. December, snowing, cold, snowing. However, it never happened, but if I were able to do this all over again. December, snowing, so much snow that half of the people wouldn't be able to arrive. :D
Some would probably hate or really dislike me for it, but what's new! I love the snow and again, my damned day, if you don't like it you don't come and you don't get to become warmed up from an insane amount of alcohol.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
We were married on December 21. No snow, but it was cold, which felt nice after the heat from running around.

June 27th, in florida.

it was an outdoor wedding, and a hundred degrees :(

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My hubby and I eloped. He wore jeans, I wore a cheap cotton sundress. He had to drive all the way down from Illinois to Va Beach, and we got married in the courthouse. We sat there, ribbing each other as we are wont to do, and the JP asked us if we were "sure" we wanted to get married, which cracked us up.

When we stood up to exchange our vows, though, I almost fainted. I don't remember anything the JP said, I just remember staring at DH's very blue eyes, using them to focus on so I didn't pass out. :D Then, the JP made a joke about DH taking me somewhere nice for dinner. "You've done the drive through wedding, don't do a drive through dinner!"

We get out to the car, and DH looks at me. I look at him and blurt out, "Can we go to Wendy's?" I was pregnant with our oldest, and since the JP mentioned it, it made me crave a junior bacon cheeseburger in the worst way!

So that was our day. We've been married for ten years, and if this year had gone differently (financially speaking), we'd have renewed our vows. Maybe next year. All the etiquitte (I can't spell that today!) mavens say you shouldn't have a second wedding, and I really don't want to a have a big to-do, but I'd really like to wear that special white dress and have some nice pictures, plus a party for our family, none of whom were able to come when we eloped.

J. M. Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
Always the pragmatist, I traded in a traditional wedding/honeymoon for a year’s worth of bills and some new furniture. We basically had no expenses for our entire first year of marriage (and some truly hideous furniture - why, oh, WHY did everything in the mid-90s have to be hunter green/mauve/ecru/plaid???).

This has a precedent: I also traded my debutante ball for a car, and my senior ring for a trip to NYC, so my mother knew she had already lost the battle when I told her I wanted a small wedding and the rest of it in cash, if you please. To compensate for it, she sent out 500 announcements (she doesn’t understand the concept of understated).

We got married in a tiny, austere turn of the century church in front of a dozen people on a gorgeous Saturday morning in December, followed by a larger wedding brunch at my grandparents’ plantation. I invited only immediate family and still ended up with over 100 people because my family is so large! I wore a simple sheath and flowers in my hair. He wore his grandfather’s shoes and a jacket from Goodwill with hideous gold anchor buttons. I think he thought it was ironic or something. My best friend since birth did triple duty as maid of honor / wedding soloist / pianist. My Dad, whom everyone calls “Old Ironsides” walked me down the aisles and cried; I don’t think he’d cried since ‘Nam.

The only hitch? My soon-to-be husband had borrowed my car the night before the wedding to go to Texas for an impromptu bachelor's party. The following day, he was late to the ceremony, and I was afraid that he had taken my car and run for the border. We had only been dating a few weeks, and he had just busted out of his second stint in rehab to come marry me. But then he showed up all excited, and chased any doubts I had right through the church doors. I have no idea what the preacher said during the ceremony because I was trying so hard not to laugh. In all of the pictures of us from that day, we look delirious and my mother and grandmother both look depressed.

It's a beautiful thing...

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not married, but like ScarletPeaches I'm answering anyway since it seemed an open invitation.

I've never been one to sit around planning my Barbie Dream Wedding. And truth be told, if I see frills heading my way I start running. So my intended wedding day is a small affair with only the friends and family I like, because why share such a personal moment with people who mean nothing to me? After the hopefully brief ceremony, since I've never much cared for being the centre of attention, I'm thinking a few beers and a barbeque will do me for a reception.