anyone here ditch a clunker?

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
So my husband is having withdrawal symptoms - facing the fact that he'll have to give up the Pathfinder by Labor Day - maybe by the beginning of next week. He got the new car 5 years ago (it was really used) so now it's my turn to get a new car. My Altima has 165,000 miles on it. Pathfinder has a little over 200,000.

I've just done cash for clunkers research and it seems brands like Nissan are offering incentives on top of the cash back you receive for your clunkers. I'm hoping that since the Pathfinder is such a big clunker at this point we qualify for the $4500.

But that's my question: Does anyone know how the dealers determine for which rebate you qualify? Anyone done this? Was it an easy - painless - experience?

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I thought this thread was going to be about ex-husbands. Sorry. I don't know.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
YUP! Ditched the bf a year ago July!

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now THAT would be a good incentive program. Cash rebates for ex's. I WOULD BE SO RICH BY NOW!

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
ok, back to subject: anyone ditch a car in the cash for clunkers program??

JLM

Registered
Reaction score
Louisiana (Not the swamps though, ok so maybe clos
My husband works for a dealer (in the parts department not sales). the car must be a 95 or NEWER. It has to get 18 MPG or less and the new vehicle has to get at least 8 MPG better than the one you are trading in. 10 MPG better gets you a bigger incentive.

As for how painless it is I have no idea. I do know it's not pretty what they do do the cars turned in under the program. They have to drain the oil and pour liquid glass into the engine and run it until it seizes up. The dealership can't remove any parts off of it before it's sent to the recycling company or they won't get the money from the government.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
My husband works for a dealer (in the parts department not sales). the car must be a 95 or NEWER. It has to get 18 MPG or less and the new vehicle has to get at least 8 MPG better than the one you are trading in. 10 MPG better gets you a bigger incentive.

As for how painless it is I have no idea. I do know it's not pretty what they do do the cars turned in under the program. They have to drain the oil and pour liquid glass into the engine and run it until it seizes up. The dealership can't remove any parts off of it before it's sent to the recycling company or they won't get the money from the government.

what the hell. thats bizarre.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
qw has been throwing out clunkers all day long! :banana: :banana: :banana:

:thankyou:

thank you. you've been great! thank you.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
JLM is right on track. Link.

I couldn't take advantage of it because my old car was 1994 Cav which was rated at 27 mpg.

So the Cash for Clunkers name, I think, is a misnomer. It's cash for gas guzzlers... ;-)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We ditched a clunker a few weeks ago. Then we traded the cars we still had. My son got my car, I got my husband's car (a 2007), and he got a new car.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's 1985 or newer, not 1995. My husband is currently picking up his new Smart, turning in the 1990 8 cyl 3/4 ton diesel truck. It is a shame about the parts. It has a brand new $625 starter on it. :(

Fairly painless as far as the process goes.

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I think Laurie's hubby sells cars, she might be good to ask.

Personally I'd say buy a Toyota. They're completely bomb-proof. Seriously. I've never had a bad Toyota. They tried killing a Hilux on Top Gear a few years back and they couldn't do it. Among other things, they drowned it in the ocean, set it on fire, and blew up a building with the car on the roof - and it still worked, every time.

And yes, I drive a Caldina, and it's the best car I've ever had. :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Cars were getting 30 or more MPG for better for thirty years now, how did we go backwards? "We can send a man to space..." is obsolete, we now have people living there, and that's a good thing because we'll all have to live there soon.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, we did. The timing couldn't have been better for us. We ditched a starting-to-go-sour Chevy Blazer.

It worked wonderfully, except that it was my husband's turn to get a car and now I have to constantly swat the devil off my left shoulder. He keeps insisting that if I'd just hold the pillow down for a few minutes, the new Mazda could be all mine.

Zoom zoom.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the start of the process, as shown in this video from a few weeks ago. I think one of the guys says "That dodge over there only lasted 8 seconds:"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waj2KrKYTZo
The car might have had a lot of miles on it, but with the engine lasting that long, it probably had another 100,000 miles on it. But It's A "Clunker..."

From there they're apparently crushed, and then the steel in them is recycled (that's right, they DON'T even go to a junkyard to be used as spare parts), "hopefully" built into higher-mileage vehicles. Or maybe into high-rise buildings with steel that doesn't melt in burning jet fuel...(woops, sorry, wrong conspiracy).
Cars were getting 30 or more MPG for better for thirty years now, how did we go backwards? "We can send a man to space..." is obsolete, we now have people living there, and that's a good thing because we'll all have to live there soon.
The saying was more something like "They can send a man to the Moon, why can't they..." And yeah, there are people living in space, only 300 miles up, but that's still a heck of an accomplishment.

But the mileage thing has to do with the loopholes in the CAFE standards - vehicles built on a truck chassis and having a gross weight over some amount were basically exempt from higher gas mileage requirements, and that's where the popularity of the huge gas-sucking SUV's such as the Lincoln Navigator came from.

And in the last decade or two, engine technology has been advancing so they could make the small cars of 20 years ago with even BETTER mileage now. But no, that's not what sells cars - what happened is they made the more efficient engines bigger, so they still barely fall within the mandated mileage, but the cars have more acceleration than older models. Acceleration apparently sells more cars than does super-high gas mileage.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
But that's my question: Does anyone know how the dealers determine for which rebate you qualify? Anyone done this? Was it an easy - painless - experience?

So, you need these two sites:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

http://www.cars.gov/

Beyond that, it was very easy. It's the easiest car buying experience we've had, but the Mazda dealership was particularly well-run. Go test drive some cars. Know what you want. The rest is pretty straight forward.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I think I'll probably stick to Nissan - I've been driving them since 1985. I'd like to get a Cube - husband thinks they're ugly.

http://www.nissanusa.com/cube/?dcp=ppn.28434549.&dcc=0.205796029

I'd rather keep the Pathfinder and ditch the Altima. The Pathfinder could probably go another 100,000 miles whereas the Altima, at 165,000, probably only has another year at best. And only one (passenger side) window opens. But the Altima doesn't qualify for trade in.

And by the way: clunky boyfriend responses. Very funny.
But I guess that would apply to clunky girlfriends too ... clunky husbands, wives, dogs, cats, turtles, gerbels ...

Tweet The Meat

Meat Tweets!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
We went to do it, but we ended up with a better deal on a 2007 with only 20K miles on it, so we just did a straight trade-in. We traded a minivan in for a crossover Mazda5.

I have a friend who successfully did it with a 1984, though he said they had to find the exact date of manufacture of that individual truck.

The saleswoman we dealt with said the whole program was the best thing that had happened to them in the past year. The rules were a pain until they figured out how to do it correctly, and it was a breeze.