Marriage proposals

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
Something on tv got me thinking about this last night.

What was your marriage proposal like?
And for those who haven't been married, what would you want it to be like?

Mine went like this:

We were living in a 16'x8' caravan saving for our first house, and it was freezing cold and the light switch was on the opposite end from the bed. We'd switched off the light, got wrapped up in bed (with the dog) and he says:
'Oh yeah, I got you something today.'
Me: 'Oh yeah, what'd you get?'
Him: 'Got you a ring.' *hands me ring box in the dark*
Me: 'Well you're gonna have to turn the bloody light back on now!'

And that was it. :) Exciting huh.

Any better stories? Can't be hard. :D

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
I envision my engagement will come out of a series of conversations, and at the end of one of those said conversations we agree to get married.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I don't envision ever getting married, or ever being asked.

Rings look rubbish on me anyway :D

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Which one? :D

Well, with my Old Man, I was having a bath three days before the wedding. I have a face pack on. He wanders in with his hand behind his back.

'Why is your face blue? Never mind. I've just thought,' he said

'Ah, I wondered what was burning.'

'No, really.' Hubby brings his hand out from behind his back to reveal huge bunch of roses and goes down on one knee. 'I've just thought, I never actually asked you to marry me. So, how about it?'

'Considering the wedding's in three days, it'd be churlish to say no. Of course I will you silly sod.'

Romantic, or what.

Mudcat

Ba-chewy chomp
Registered
Reaction score
I have been proposed to (but never married). I don't even remember the actual proposal. There was no memorable grand gesture.

I just remember how her wanting to get married and me declining was a recurring theme in that relationship. It was pretty matter-of-fact, conversational stuff.

That's about all I got for this topic. I would love to find someone I care enough about to do something special. But it would be something special in an intimate way. What I would NOT do is some big public spectacle proposal, like at a ball game or whatever.

Lisa Cox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I was worried he was going to propose today (my birthday), but a few weeks ago I said not to until I'd finished the book. I wanted to accomplish something with my own life before I got engaged again. (We were engaged before, btw, for 9 years. Then we separated and recently got back together.)

I'd like something simple and quiet. I hate being the center of attention. But really, however he does it, I'll say yes.

ETA: Just to add in how he proposed the first time. He didn't. It was kind of a mutual "Fancy getting married?" thing. Then we went out and bought a cheap ring (we were beyond poor back then), then a couple of years later he bought a better one (although I still cherish the original). I gave it back to him when we split and he's got a new box for it, ready and waiting...

Last edited:

som1luvsmi

My brother loves me thiiis much! :)
Registered
Reaction score
About a block away from the nuthouse...they've sta
Website
randomlyabstract.blogspot.com
We went to a place called Medieval Times on his birthday. It's one of those "dinner and tournament" places where they have jousting and swordfighting and whatnot. Then there's a point when the "King" makes announcements and I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention until he said "....asks for Sarah's hand in marriage and asks if she will be his wife?"

Well, THAT got my attention. I looked over and he had a ring out and all the people around me were shouting for me to say yes. And I did. :D That was 10 years ago next month.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me: "So, you're taking that job?"

Him: "Uh-huh. Texas. Wow."

Me: "Am I invited?"

Him: "Of course. You wanted to quit anyway."

Me: "And there won't be any problem if we just keep on the way we are?" {living together}

Him: "I don't know. There's a morals clause in the contract."

Me: "They probably don't enforce it unless you're an embarrassment."

Him: "Probably not, but maybe we should get married anyway."

Me: "Okay."

Not romantic at all, but it took. That's what matters.

Maryn, quite happily married forever

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
hehe...we did the old, "Wanna get married?" "Sure, why not?", bought some simple rings to exchange, booked the venue...

And then we were spooning on the sofa one night and he says, "I didn't really ask you right. I should have got down one knee and asked you proper. You want me to do that now?" So I said, "I don't really see any point in it unless you've got a big old rock in your pocket or somethin'."

And then he pulled one out, and it was all lol and nom nom nom all night...

I've been proposed to five times--thrice "proper" (none took), one, "Hey, wanna pull through there and get married?" (Vegas, lol, followed through all Britney-Spears-ish, too! Okay, that marriage was slightly longer than her Vegas one) and the one I told you about above, which was my favorite. :) So, meh, if it's the right guy, it doesn't really matter how the proposal goes. Whatever it is, we will remember it fondly.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Susie handed me a pretty, delicate diamond ring, put it on my finger and asked me to marry him. I said yes and we've been together for 36 l/2 years. Still have the ring and still have Mr. Susie. :)

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Susie handed me a pretty, delicate diamond ring, put it on my finger and asked me to marry him. I said yes and we've been together for 36 l/2 years. Still have the ring and still have Mr. Susie. :)

Awwwww... *sniff* That's so sweet.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
My first wife proposed to me.

This one, I forget.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
What was your marriage proposal like?
And for those who haven't been married, what would you want it to be like?

I've had a few drunks propose to me in bars. Does that count? No? I didn't think so. Ok, I've had a few, but one proposed to me at an airport and asked me to move to England with him. I won't say I ran away screaming, but I wanted to. Naturally, the answer was no.

I don't have an ideal proposal. I never gave it much thought. As long as it's not ambiguous and doesn't involve my parents, I'd be fine with whatever.

And any man who asked my father for permission would be instantly disqualified.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
- Do you want to get married?
- Is the Space Pope reptilian?

A proposal these days is really more about fiscal responsibility than romantic disillusionment... no?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
A proposal these days is really more about fiscal responsibility than romantic disillusionment... no?

Step away from the half-empty glass. Slowly...slowly...no sudden moves.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
We were hiking on our third date, at the top of one of the falls he turns to me and asks, "So when are you moving in with me?"

Me; I'm not moving in with you. The only way I would live with someone is if we were going to get married.

Him; So when are you moving in with me?

It took him another seven months to convince me he was for real- we'll be married 15 years in a few months

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never been proposed to. :D My husband and I just starting talking about the nuts and bolts of a life together, and then we picked a day and eloped. Been married ten years, so I guess it worked out okay for us, lol.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I've had a few drunks propose to me in bars. Does that count? No? I didn't think so. Ok, I've had a few, but one proposed to me at an airport and asked me to move to England with him. I won't say I ran away screaming, but I wanted to. Naturally, the answer was no.

I don't have an ideal proposal. I never gave it much thought. As long as it's not ambiguous and doesn't involve my parents, I'd be fine with whatever.

And any man who asked my father for permission would be instantly disqualified.
I would go to your father to see how much money he would give me not to marry you, and then we can spend it all on the honeymoon.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Mine wasn't a huge surprise since we'd both been clear from the beginning of the relationship that we weren't interested in fooling around - our "dating" was prep for marriage, and that's how we treated it. (Prior to that we'd been best friends.) We talked about marriage openly during the whole thing.

Nevertheless, I did tell him I really wanted him to ask my father beforehand. I wouldn't have insisted upon this except that I've always been a daddy's girl and having a boyfriend had been super hard on my dad. (He basically ignored him... actually he ignored him until sometime after the wedding...) I thought having him ask my dad first would go a long ways toward softening my dad.

Anyway, so, two days after I get home from my yearlong stint in China, boyfriend tells me he's going to "Talk to my dad." I say okay, he goes downstairs, and I promptly flip out and start crying. (Because I'm so scared my dad is going to tell him to go screw himself.) Few minutes later, boyfriend comes upstairs, finds me sobbing my little eyes out, and is like, Hey, hey, it's okay! Comforts me, gets me calmed down, etc. Then he says something like, "Now, I'm going to _____" [can't remember what he said he was going to do]. I say, "Okay." He says, "But first I need to ask you something." And then he gets down on one knee and pulls out a ring.

The funny thing was, it was so predictable, I shouldn't have been surprised, but I still was. I got all excited and hugged him and said "OF COURSE!" It was neat too because the ring was his mom's from her first marriage, to his bio-dad, who died when he was little.

ETA: If anyone's wondering what my dad said, he gave hubby a "Go screw yourself" look and then told him I could make up my own damn mind. ;)