PDA

View Full Version : Questions about blogging for pay

Thomas_Anderson
08-15-2009, 06:29 AM
I've seen Examiner.com, and I know it won't be a full time job. But I need to move out, and would need an extra 200-300 dollars a month to sustain myself. If anybody has experience with professional blogging, can you tell me if it's pretty reliable in that regard?

Also, and please don't belittle me if this is already known, but I won't need official stuff like a journalism license or anything, right?

It's most going to be about video gaming and such.

James D. Macdonald
08-15-2009, 07:17 AM
You mean press credentials?

Here's a how-to. (http://horseracing.about.com/cs/miscellaneous/ht/credentials.htm)

For most things you'll blog (if you're doing video games) you won't need 'em. If you're going to get into a private presentation at a trade show, you may.

Lyra Jean
08-15-2009, 07:18 AM
For Examiner.com and Suite101.com It asks what kind of experience you have in the field you want to write in and with Examiner.com what kind of local spin do you have. But I've seen any requirement for a press pass or journalism experience.

They will ask for some samples of work though. Make sure they are good and what they are looking for. I don't write for either of these sites. Was not accepted at Suite and don't know my area well enough for examiner. Good luck.

veinglory
08-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Examiner takes pretty much anyone, but you'd be doing well to make more than pocket change from them.

Thomas_Anderson
08-15-2009, 07:44 AM
What do you consider pocket change? I only need a couple hundred extra to pay for my apartment and car.

James D. Macdonald
08-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Here's the big AW thread about Examiner.com (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141305).

veinglory
08-15-2009, 06:58 PM
At less than a penny a click you would need over 10,000 hits to make a hundred dollars. I bet not many Examiners are making anywhere near that. I quickly worked out I make more of my own blogs and stopped posting.

Thomas_Anderson
08-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I've never done this before. How many hits are average?

Gretad08
08-17-2009, 09:28 PM
At less than a penny a click you would need over 10,000 hits to make a hundred dollars. I bet not many Examiners are making anywhere near that. I quickly worked out I make more of my own blogs and stopped posting.

Dumb question, but I'm asking anyway b/c I'm new to blogging. (just made my first post =). How exactly do you make money from your own blog? Adsense?

veinglory
08-17-2009, 09:32 PM
I think Examiners average around 1-5000 hits a month.

I tailor the ads I use to the blog, mainly adsense and project wonderful. But there are many options, including affiliate deals. I hear being an eBay affiliate can work quite well, but I haven't tried it.

You have to work at it in any case, but I would rather invest all that traffic building in my own site.

Gretad08
08-17-2009, 09:33 PM
I think Examiners average around 1-5000 hits a month.

I tailor the ads I use to the blog, mainly adsense and project wonderful. But there are many options, including affiliate deals. I hear being an eBay affiliate can work quite well, but I haven't tried it.

You have to work at it in any case, but I would rather invest all that traffic building in my own site.

Can you use adsense or project wonderful on wordpress?

veinglory
08-18-2009, 03:59 AM
Only if you self-host it, not wordpress.com. I use blogger.