Any other Interior Design / Architecture obsessed writers out there?

J. M. Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
Do any of you ever feel driven to describe interiors in detail while writing or elaborate about the architectural styles of your setting? Ever find yourself waxing poetic over a Bunny Williams-styled Dining Room or the perfect Eames molded plastic Rocking Chair or the most saturated hue of Farrow and Ball Blue? Is the whole reason you want to sell a piece of writing because you want a Paul Henningsen Artichoke Lamp?

I am completely obsessed with Interior Design and Architecture. Some people have religion. I have A. Hays Towne, Eliel Saarinen, David Hicks (and his offspring), Kelly Wearstler, and Celerie Kemble!

I was so sad when Domino Magazine folded - the best time of the month was when it appeared on the floor of my entryway. They had great writing AND great design - I was in heaven!

Anybody else out there share my passion? What books / magazines / other pubs can you suggest to fill the Domino magazine-shaped void in my soul? The best blog I've found so far is for a store in New Orleans called Perch. http://perchneworleans.blogspot.com/. What designers inspire you?

Am I alone here?

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're not alone. My second (alas still unused) degree was in Interior Design. Unfortunately, nothing drags a manuscript down like a loving, three page description of the MC's new apartment;o) No suggestions for good mags, sorry--I cut way back to save the $$$$.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Yeh, I like sparse description to begin with.

J. M. Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
You're not alone. My second (alas still unused) degree was in Interior Design. Unfortunately, nothing drags a manuscript down like a loving, three page description of the MC's new apartment;o) No suggestions for good mags, sorry--I cut way back to save the $$$$.

I envy your ID degree - I started out there, but ended up in English Lit. b/c I thought it would be more "practical." If I am ever able, I will return and finish that degree. My aunt has an ID firm, and as a child I used to spend hours and hours with her samples and client portfolios, making pretend interiors out of empty boxes, magazine cut-outs, fabric swatches, and paint. I always dreamed of making a career out of it, but life happened and the ID degree didn't.

I know what you mean about descriptions of interiors dragging down a manuscript - I have to trim about 20,000 words from my first manuscript, and I'm starting with the looooong descriptions of the interiors. I'm sad and heartbroken, but thinking about converting all that energy into a design forum, if I can find a good one.

I do love Apartment Therapy (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/), and Peak of Chic (http://thepeakofchic.blogspot.com/) if you haven't seen those already.

Wayne K - I love the quote on your signature.

Last edited:

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Gasp! I descimated a calendar filled with pix of cathedrals to hang above my desk. I find architecture very inspring. I hate new stuff - I am all about 17th and 18th century stuff, or older. I don't know what it is about those grand old edifices that inspires me. I guess it transports me out of my current time and place and sets the imagination going.

I also love Victorian houses and furniture. I don't know names and all that - but Magnolia Hall puts out an amazing catalog, and they have a website http://www.magnoliahall.com/

J. M. Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
Gasp! I descimated a calendar filled with pix of cathedrals to hang above my desk. I find architecture very inspring. I hate new stuff - I am all about 17th and 18th century stuff, or older. I don't know what it is about those grand old edifices that inspires me. I guess it transports me out of my current time and place and sets the imagination going.

I also love Victorian houses and furniture. I don't know names and all that - but Magnolia Hall puts out an amazing catalog, and they have a website http://www.magnoliahall.com/

Actually, I love that era of interiors and architecture as well, particularly the Gothic Revival phase, which looks similar to your tastes. I'm visiting San Francisco in October and one of the main things I want to do is see all of those famous Victorian homes. I also love the Victorian period in literature and studied under the top Carlyle scholar in the U.S. which was an amazing experience - he often influences what I write in a profound way.

I live near Natchez, Mississippi which has many wonderful Victorian homes and churches that are open to the public if you ever get a chance to visit. It's also quite a literary little town - Richard Wright was born there, for one. It's definitely worth a visit if you are ever in the area. Here's a favorite of mine:
natchez_victorian_home.jpg

My current house is modeled a little bit after Virginia Woolf's sister Vanessa Bell's house "Charleston." It's kind of shabby Victorian crossover meets ramshackle country cottage, and I love it! It was right after the Victorian era, and the gothic overtones hadn't quite lost their grip, though the Bloomsbury group was trying their best to rebel against it, in the areas of both literature and interior design! http://www.charleston.org.uk/

I also love 17th - 18th century, Louis XIV style furniture with a modern twist. Here are my dream chairs for my dining room:
582b_35.JPG

I love Johnson Hartig's home, which mixes that style with a kind of uber-modern British punk edge. Actually you might like Cindy Greene's house:
http://www.latimes.com/features/home/la-hm-hartig12july12-pg,0,6273259.photogallery or http://beachbungalow8.blogspot.com/2007/08/to-reiterate-johnson-hartig-is-totally.html

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I like architecture but my whole knowledge of it isn't that great. I particularly enjoy the construction aspect of it.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
That's just gorgeous. I've not seen that one before. California really does have the best examples of Victorian architecture on the west side of the Mississippi, imho.

They call it "America's favorite Victorian."
I love the outside, but hate every picture of every room I have ever seen inside.... I also love the houses in Savannah Georgia.

One day, I hope to live in one....

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
I'm in Orange County, CA, and we really do have a lot of Victorians still, and in good shape, too. The historical societies really try their best to make sure all of them at least have a decent coat of paint.

J. M. Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
I like architecture but my whole knowledge of it isn't that great. I particularly enjoy the construction aspect of it.

My knowledge isn't that great, either. I just enjoy learning about it. One cool thing that's going on in Louisiana is that Brad Pitt has Frank Gehry working on some projects for Make It Right, which probably means he'll build a house in the shape of a trombone or something. I love New Orleans architecture more than just about anywhere else except maybe Savannah like Bettielee mentioned, so I hope that Gehry can keep some of that architectural integrity intact. They just scrapped his project at the Hove in Sussex becuase they thought it looked like "transvestites caught in a stiff breeze" rather than the "Victorian Ladies Promenading on the Boardwalk" that he had intended.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
My knowledge isn't that great, either. I just enjoy learning about it. One cool thing that's going on in Louisiana is that Brad Pitt has Frank Gehry working on some projects for Make It Right, which probably means he'll build a house in the shape of a trombone or something. I love New Orleans architecture more than just about anywhere else except maybe Savannah like Bettielee mentioned, so I hope that Gehry can keep some of that architectural integrity intact. They just scrapped his project at the Hove in Sussex becuase they thought it looked like "transvestites caught in a stiff breeze" rather than the "Victorian Ladies Promenading on the Boardwalk" that he had intended.

I so loathe Gehry's starchitecture, as well as Libeskind's.

Give me something that's actually useful.

I'm just thankful that Edmonton doesn't have any of that stuff. Well, except that we do have a Robert Stout going up at the art gallery. *shrug*

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I know very little about it, but I get the biggest rush seeing certain architecture :) New Orleans, Savannah... sigh. And so many places in Europe.

I'm finally adding a garden wall and new roofed porch. I'm totally into honest-to-God old techniques. So, I'll be slaking lime and I have these little pots of things like Lead White and Phthalo Green. I considered crushing my own Cinnabar. I am such a nerd, I get all taken like that :D If I go bonkers from lead poisoning, who'll even notice ;) ?

Moar talk. Moar pics. :D

J. M. Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
I know very little about it, but I get the biggest rush seeing certain architecture :) New Orleans, Savannah... sigh. And so many places in Europe.

I'm finally adding a garden wall and new roofed porch. I'm totally into honest-to-God old techniques. So, I'll be slaking lime and I have these little pots of things like Lead White and Phthalo Green. I considered crushing my own Cinnabar. I am such a nerd, I get all taken like that :D If I go bonkers from lead poisoning, who'll even notice ;) ?

Moar talk. Moar pics. :D

Check out American Clay (http://www.americanclay.com/).

My son has asthma so we have to use no-VOC paint, which means that we're pretty much restricted to a pastel color scheme. But what I really love is a good, strong turquoise or a deep navy or even red. I thought those colors were off limits forever until I figured out that natural clay wasn't just for southwestern or acadian style houses if you do it right (not to heavy on the spackle). It comes in natural pigments that you mix up yourself, so it sounds like it might be right up your alley.

Speaking of Europe, my world-rambling cousin told me that Dubrovnik has some of the most beautiful architecture he's ever seen.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh, that is right up my alley; thank you! I love the pastels... and I love the saturated jewel colors. I think my scrapbook has thousands of combos I love, each done its own way :D

Oh, I had friends from that part of the world who vacationed in Dubrovnik! I would love to go someday.

For some reason, I'm hardwired towards a lot of French or northern Mediterranean design. I don't know why, but my sister says I must have been a French peasant in a past life :)

J. M. Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
For some reason, I'm hardwired towards a lot of French or northern Mediterranean design. I don't know why, but my sister says I must have been a French peasant in a past life :)

backslashbaby - did you see Mama Mia? It was a silly movie, but the set and locations were inspiring. After I watched the movie, I wanted my entire to look like the MC's hotel, particularly the textiles and textures. http://www.latimes.com/features/home/la-hm.0724.mamma-pg,0,6775487.photogallery

I wish we had an Anthropologie *sigh* You could write a book using their magazine as a guide, there's so much narrative in the subtext.

Last edited:

J. M. Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
I so loathe Gehry's starchitecture, as well as Libeskind's.

Give me something that's actually useful.

I'm with you there. Conceptual architecture just kills me. Although, I have to admit I do kind of like the Danish Jewish Museum. It reminds me of Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.

Do you guys ever give your characters cooler domiciles than you have? Is that the worst kind of fantasy wish fulfillment a la Stephenie Meyer?