practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be something!:tongue

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
So we'd pay high prices for pretentious attitude alone? Novel concept.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're probably more likely to erect a temple so that the followers can bow down and worship the noble drink of the Gods (you're not allowed to use the word coffee in the temple).

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
They're probably more likely to erect a temple so that the followers can bow down and worship the noble drink of the Gods (you're not allowed to use the word coffee in the temple).

I'm just picturing that:D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So we'd pay high prices for pretentious attitude alone? Novel concept.
Where and how do they train their employees? Surely there can't be that many people who naturally have that attitude. I know they probably got quite a few such employees from those who used to work at now defunct record stores, but what about all the rest?

;-)

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Where and how do they train their employees? Surely there can't be that many people who naturally have that attitude. I know they probably got quite a few such employees from those who used to work at now defunct record stores, but what about all the rest?

;-)

EX GAP employees?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We better watch it. We might be sent to Starbucks re-education camp where we'll be required to study the ordering procedure manual sixteen hours a day.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Hipster VoTech schools?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know, this could be the plot of a movie!

Jack Black becomes the manager of a Starbucks and tries to teach all the employees how to be normal human beings. If the revolution spreads it could threaten the entire Starbucks Empire, so they send a hitman (known only as "Mr. Grande") to knock him off. A cute dow-eyed emo girl could be one of the employees that Jack Black converts and she becomes his love interest. When she is kidnapped, Jack must confront his long-buried feelings about coffee that stems from the fact that in his family they only served instant Sanka.

;-)

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Why is Starbucks actually called Starbucks?

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Darzian said:
Why is Starbucks actually called Starbucks?

Moby-Dick.

According to Howard Schultz's book Pour Your Heart Into It: How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time, the name of the company was derived from Moby-Dick, although not in as direct a fashion as many assume. Gordon Bowker liked the name "Pequod" (the ship in the novel), but his then creative partner Terry Heckler responded, "No one's going to drink a cup of Pee-quod!" Heckler suggested "Starbo". Brainstorming with these two ideas resulted in the company being named for the Pequod's first mate, Starbuck.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, am I to believe that Starbucks sells coffee now?

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, I noticed that in The Devil Wears Prada, Meryl Streep's character always says "and have my STARBUCKS waiting", never, "have my COFFEE waiting".

(ETA: I know it was only because Starbucks probably paid a few dollars to have their name mentioned in that line)

kalel32

Registered
Reaction score
Then they would have to sell Hot coco for $5. Oh wait they already do, sorry.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
As someone who enjoys a cup of coffee or a latte from Starbucks occasionally, I'm offended. Their Cafe Verona makes a good cup of coffee. When I'm treating myself, I like to buy a bag of that and make it at home.

Starbucks did introduce me to Sugar in the Raw, which I love and use regularly at home now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Couldn't get WiFi to work in Starbucks, so pootled off to the library instead. Was quieter, too.

I bluetoothed some photos to my netbook and sent them to tt42 over MSN. She was ver ver entertained, I'm sure.

Reaction score
I thought this was the other Starbucks thread.

Oh well. If they banned coffee, that's cool, 'cause I only drink tea.