PDA

View Full Version : NIMH remake?

nahalwi
07-29-2009, 08:30 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.reuters.com/new-film-version-quotrats-nimhquot-works-reuters

Why? This is about to break my heart in the never-ending string of remakes.

Chumplet
07-29-2009, 09:04 AM
When has live action sucessfully merged with animation? CG not included of course. I hope they don't kack it up.

The Secret of Nimh was lovely, but it wasn't necessarily an accurate adaptation of the book. This will be yet another adaptation.

Why all the remakes? Doesn't Hollywood have any new ideas? Maybe it's all the boomers feeling nostalgic.

Exir
07-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Director Neil Burger ("The Illusionist") is in talks to write the screenplay.

Hey, I'm not complaining. He's an excellent director.

Zoombie
07-29-2009, 11:08 AM
But...but...the Secret of NIMH is Don Bluth's second best film ever!

They can't remake it!

Bmwhtly
07-29-2009, 11:42 AM
When has live action sucessfully merged with animation?http://www.phpblogmanager.com/files/229/933/rogerrabbitdwleqghht6.jpg

dgiharris
07-29-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm of extremely mixed feelings about this.

NIHM is over 20 yrs old, so there are 2 - 3 generations of kids who have never seen it and probably will never see it unless it is remade and re-released.

However,

The animation is about as perfect a story as one can write/direct/draw and aspire to.

I saw Secret of Nihm again about 10 years ago and it still took my breath away. I really can't see how the remake will be anywhere near as good as the original.

Then throw in that they will probably reinterpret it, and voila, it will be sucktastic crapola.

And to make matters worse, everyone and their grandmother will be involved in rescripting it, and you know how wonderful a dish is when you have 100 chefs in the kitchen.

My prediction is simple.

Everyone who saw the original will be pissed.

Those who haven't seen the original (i.e. kids today) will think its o.k. Nothing special, just o.k.

that is my prediction :)

Mel...

dgiharris
07-29-2009, 11:51 AM
http://www.phpblogmanager.com/files/229/933/rogerrabbitdwleqghht6.jpg

Is it wrong to be turned on by a cartoon :D

Actually, I thought Roger Rabbit was o.k.

Mel...

Zoombie
07-29-2009, 11:58 AM
I never thought Jessica Rabbit was all that sexy.

Her proportions are wrong, her face ugly, and her makeup over done.

Bmwhtly
07-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Is it wrong to be turned on by a cartoon :D
Nope.

Nakhlasmoke
07-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Aw I loved NIMH

It's nothing like the book, but I still totally loved the one rat (Justin?)
I also love (fox) Robin Hood.

Gah, I'm obviously a closet furry. Someone kill me now.

FWIW, I agree with DGIHArris (I know, miracles sometimes happen)

Zoombie
07-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Don't hide in the closet!

Embrace your love of fur, like I do!

<embraces furrieness and runs around all excitedly>

Nakhlasmoke
07-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Don't hide in the closet!

Embrace your love of fur, like I do!

<embraces furrieness and runs around all excitedly>

I would just like everyone reading to know that I have never met Zoombie.

Ever.

This is the very first time we have spoken.

*shakes zoombie off her leg*

Zoombie
07-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Lies!

Lies and slanders!

Rolling Thunder
07-29-2009, 03:48 PM
I welcome any new or remade anthropomorphic movie. It's a tough market to sell, book wise, right now.

beezle
07-29-2009, 04:29 PM
With any luck it will be as good as the recent Alvin and the Chipmunks movie.

underthecity
07-29-2009, 08:04 PM
I don't say this about many new, animated films, but . . .

I want to see it.

I loved Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH as a kid. Loved it. I lost count how many times I read it.

I saw Secret of NIMH and thought it was awful. It was not anything like the book I adored.

If the new film is a faithful adaptation of the book, then I'll want to see it.

Kathleen42
07-29-2009, 08:19 PM
No. No. No. No.

The new "NIMH" likely will combine live action and animation in the manner of "Alvin and the Chipmunks" and other kiddie hybrids.

Seriously. No.

Exir
07-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Kathleen42: it's just a technique. A tool in a director's arsenal. As the director of "The Illusionist", I am pretty optimistic Neil Burger will pull it off well.

Kathleen42
07-29-2009, 08:38 PM
However,

The animation is about as perfect a story as one can write/direct/draw and aspire to.

I saw Secret of Nihm again about 10 years ago and it still took my breath away. I really can't see how the remake will be anywhere near as good as the original.

Agreed. The animation in NIMH was gorgeous.

Let's have a NIMH fanvid to cheer ourselves up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2GeSGzwywo

Wavy_Blue
07-29-2009, 09:14 PM
When has live action sucessfully merged with animation?

Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Bedknobs and Broomsticks. MARY POPPINS.

Kathleen42
07-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Bedknobs and Broomsticks. MARY POPPINS.

I actually hate all of those. There, I said it. I HATE Marry Poppins.

ChaosTitan
07-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Don Bluth is an animation genuis. Period.

NIMH was a staple of my childhood, both book and film. I get that they want to readapt it for a new generation, but frak me, why not just remaster the original and release it in theaters? The animation was gorgeous and the music powerful enough to make me cry just listening.

Plus, how can anyone else voice Jeremy except Dom DeLuise? :(

Kathleen42
07-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Don Bluth is an animation genuis. Period.

I was watching The Rescuers recently and kept thinking "It's okay Don, you'll get a second chance with mice".

Zoombie
07-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Man, this is sounding to be more horrible every moment. I mean, whats going to be animated? The humans? Why bother doing that? Seriously!

The only reason that Who Framed Rodger Rabbit worked was because it was SUPPOSED to make you notice the combination of Toon and reality.

<sighs>

Well, at least no one is remaking Titan A.E...

AceTachyon
07-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Plus, how can anyone else voice Jeremy except Dom DeLuise? :(
Word.

It's not NIMH unless Jeremy gets his sparklies and Wil Wheaton calls Auntie Shrew a "loudmouth"

Delhomeboy
07-29-2009, 09:35 PM
:eek:

Anyway, hopefully they'll make this one actually like the book.

Zoombie
07-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Actually, the book and the movie exist simultaneously as two awesome things in my head.

I personally prefer the movie, but that's just me.

Kathleen42
07-29-2009, 11:51 PM
I've actually never read the book but I adore the movie.

Wavy_Blue
07-30-2009, 12:12 AM

My point was that animation has been successfully merged with live action. These films were successful (well, Bedknobs and Broomsticks more or less) regardless of your personal opinion.

dgiharris
07-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Personally,

I'm just wayyyy too close to the original cartoon. I simply can't picture it any other way and any deviation is going to piss me off. Especially, if they try to inject human's into it which i bet they will do.

And the original Nihm had some serious depth and I pray that don't try to dumb it down.

Personally, the only thing I'd like to see is the movie re-animated with 98% adherence to the original script.

Mel...

Kathleen42
07-30-2009, 12:25 AM
My point was that animation has been successfully merged with live action. These films were successful (well, Bedknobs and Broomsticks more or less) regardless of your personal opinion.

And I am merely stating that -- despite it's commercial success -- I dislike the technique.

Jcomp
07-30-2009, 03:32 AM
In my opinion, anything that is an adaptation of a non-film work is fair game and not really a "remake."

Delhomeboy
07-30-2009, 05:59 AM
In my opinion, anything that is an adaptation of a non-film work is fair game and not really a "remake."

The movie was so different from the book that I don't think it could be classified as a remake in any way at all, unless the movie doesn't adhere to the book.

I mean, it's been a long time since I've seen/read both, but I don't remember anything about an amulet in the book, and I KNOW Nicodemus wasn't such an old crusty...uh...rat in the book.

On a side note, if someone COULD explain the ending of the movie, I'd appreciate it. I mean, what was with that amulet power-up thing?

dgiharris
07-30-2009, 01:20 PM
On a side note, if someone COULD explain the ending of the movie, I'd appreciate it. I mean, what was with that amulet power-up thing?

It was the power of pure awesomeness.

Mel...

beezle
07-30-2009, 02:55 PM
True enough, though it's probably a bit early to make a new Lord of the Rings trilogy.

ChaosTitan
07-30-2009, 06:31 PM
T

"Courage of the heart is very rare; the stone has a power when it's there."

Mrs. Brisby thought her kids were going to die. Her love for them made the magic necklace work and carried them to safety.

Canotila
07-31-2009, 01:00 PM
NIHM is over 20 yrs old, so there are 2 - 3 generations of kids who have never seen it and probably will never see it unless it is remade and re-released.

Hey now! My daughter is 2 and it's her favorite movie.

In fact, we recently acquired a pet flying squirrel, and she named him "Secret of NIMH". She wanted to call him Mrs. Brisby, but my husband couldn't cope with his male squirrel having a girl name.

Celia Cyanide
08-03-2009, 10:56 PM

I agree. The Ring and The Ring Virus were both remakes of Ringu, because they were based on the film, not the novel Ringu was based on.

This new NIMH movie doesn't sound like it's even a remake at all. It's not based on The Secret of NIMH, it's based on the book.

clonedbeef
08-04-2009, 02:23 AM
The original is a gorgeous piece of work; mature, dark, yet fun for all ages.

If they make this it will most likely be a light, immature romp.

Sage
08-04-2009, 02:40 AM
This makes me want to go home and watch the original.

Manectric
08-05-2009, 03:34 AM
No one is even mentioning The Secret of Nimh TWO, which I have seen and loved. The songs from that film are monumental.

Also love this line: "If we die, I'm going to kill you."

Zoombie
08-05-2009, 04:57 AM
There was a what now!?

5bcarnies
08-05-2009, 05:08 AM
This movie needs to stay the way it is, period.

I love it. My children love it. It is beautiful just the way Bluth made it.

All the remakes are driving me crazy. I wasn't too upset the remake of The Hitcher or Halloween (because that was a brilliant reimagining of the story and Zombie did a great job) But then came the new Friday the 13th movie. It was horrible. I rename this remake 'Friday the 13th, Dude Where's My Machete'.

Once this remake comes out what's next? American Tail? Casablanca? Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure? When will it end!?!

5bcarnies
08-05-2009, 05:09 AM
Yeah Secret of NIMH 2. It was a musical. I almost cried in shame as I watched it because the artwork was no where near as wonderful as the first.

Zoombie
08-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Ugh.

Ugh.

UGH

UGGGGHHHGGHGHHGHGUGGGGHHHGGHGHHGHGGGGGHHHGGHGHHGHG UGGGGHHHGGHGHHGHG

Exir
08-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Guys, watch the remake or at least wait for trailers before judging.

Celia Cyanide
08-05-2009, 02:53 PM
This movie needs to stay the way it is, period.

I love it. My children love it. It is beautiful just the way Bluth made it.

All the remakes are driving me crazy.

This movie IS going to stay the way it is, period. It's not going to change just because someone is making another one. I'm still not convinced that this new NIMH movie is even a remake at all, so I'm not sure why everyone is so upset about it.

skantchybaby
08-15-2009, 02:56 AM
Had to sign up to voice my support here.

I saw Secret of Nimh when I was younger and was pretty much non-plussed by it.
My Daughter asked if we could read Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh as her bedtime book and we both loved every page; the ending even moved my cold heart!
We waited untill we had finished the book before picking up the dvd for cheap off Play.
My little girl was 6 at the time and she was horrified to see what they had done to the story! Magic Amulets? Sword fights? Where was the Gassing? What about Thorn Valley???
Perhaps I enjoyed it too much myself?

Basically, to those who oppose this - I would reccommed reading the book, before saying you're against it!

We only hope, that the new movie is a faithful adaptation of the book, rather than "Secret" - then everyone will be happy.

BriMaresh
08-15-2009, 04:09 AM
I'm really hopeful that it turns out alright. My little brother's three and he LOVES the Secret of NIHM movie, but I'm a huge fan of the books, too. He's a bit young to share my love for those, but getting him to think in multiverses now rather than later? Hey, that's golden.

I like the director, and so long as they don't have a horrid budget... well, I see a lot of potential in this.

ChaosTitan
08-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Basically, to those who oppose this - I would reccommed reading the book, before saying you're against it!

I have read the book. I adore the book. I also adore the movie.

Maybe I object because the movie was such a part of my childhood, and I'm getting really annoyed with Hollywood messing with my childhood memories (CGI Smurfs? WTF?).

I loved Roald Dahl's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." I loved the Gene Wilder movie. I hated the Tim Burton movie. Just because one was more faithful to the original source doesn't mean it will make a superior film. Films and books are very different animals.