• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Pharmacy Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESL

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I went to the library looking through magazines to see the type of articles they published. I haven't seen anything to do with pharmacy. I want to write about Crohn's disease and improved outlook due to therapeutic innovations. The public library has magazines such as Bride, Allure, etc. I want to write to the general public. Does anyone have any suggestions on which magazine to send a query letter to (*Sigh* there is so much work to do besides writing)?

Resource Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Dear ESL:

I commend you on the topics you're writing about. If I were you, I would start visiting pharmacies and talk with the pharmacists to see where they get their magazines and other reading and educational material from. Pharmacists are very busy, but if you take some candy or some other type of treat, they will take a few moments to talk with you. After awhile you will earn some great friends who will help you.

Also, look online and google pharmacy magazines.

Contact pharmacy schools to see what they read. If you live near a pharmacy school, drop by and talk with some of the staff to see what types of magazines they read.

Hope this helps.

ESL

Registered
Reaction score
I am a pharmacist. I don't want to write for pharmacists. I'm interested in informing the lay people, the general public. I would hope that the general public are interested in reading health issues. Thanks for the suggestions.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go to GoogleScholar and search for Crohn's Disease. You will get a long list of articles published in scientific/medical journals as well as book references. For most of these you will not get free access to the full article but you will get an abstract (summary) for free.

Be really selective in what you look at if you use regular Google. Many of the sites will be put out by commercial enterprises or individuals who are selling something (like a specific product or self-help or herbal remedy books), or you will get information that has not been derived from properly controlled and rigorously evaluated investigations.

NOTE added in edit: I misunderstood. I thought you were looking for original references to help write the article. It's what I get for posting at 3:30 a.m.

Last edited:

vox

Registered
Reaction score
You might also look at heath magazines like Health, Prevention, Women's Health, even AARP magazine might be interested.

*Caution unsolicited opinion follows* I think you'll increase your chances by including a case study in your article. Make it a human story about someone whose life has been improved (or could be improved) by these theraputic innovations. That way, the article will play to a much wider audience while still disseminating the information you've collected.

That's my $.02

Good luck!

ETA: If you google "Health Magazines" you'll probably find more places to sub than you've got stamps!

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Your chances of being published are directly related to your bonifides. Being a pharmacist helps a lot. If your article is based on a clinical study, then all the better. If it is a compilation of existing articles from professional magazines, then it would depend on how well your article is written. Vox mentioned some, but thare are dozens of health and fitness related magazines, as well as general magazines that carry health related articles. Check Wilson's guide to periodic literature for possible sources of magazines.

ESL

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help, Vox. I have a few more questions to ask. When writing a query letter to the magazine, is it necessary to know the Editor's name? Where do I find those informations (Editor's name and contact information)? The last question I have: where do I get the passwords for the forums on this website. It seems each forum has its own password. Thanks.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
It helps to have the editor's name, but it's not necessary. A nice, professional "Dear Editor" or "To Whom It Concerns" will work as well.

The passwords are either posted right there next to the spot where you're supposed to enter them, or info on who specifically to contact is there. The passwords really aren't to keep people out, but to keep spiders and crawlers out, so people's writing that is being critiqued won't show up in others' web searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.