• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

god0sgirl

Registered
Reaction score
hi everyone, i just thought of another question that if someone could answer would be awesome. Here's the deal, i found someone to edit my manuscript. A professional, not some amature or anything, and I though that since she knew all about that kind of thing I'd just let her set her own deadline for her "audition" so to speak. I gave her the first three chapters or so of my book as she requested. The plan was she was going to edit it and then return it to me by the deadline i allowed her to set and i would decide whether or not i wanted to continue business with her for the rest of the manuscripts. Now i consider myself a reasonable person, but every single deadline SHE set she missed. And now i haven't even heard back from her and it's been a year. Well it's pretty obvious that i don't want her editing my book, she can't be trusted, but she's the only local editor around, and i don't know where to look to find others. If you have any sugestions that would be very much appreciated.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Two questions:

How do you KNOW she's the "only local editor around?" What sources have you used to find one?

Has she given any reason for the delay, or did she just drop out of sight? A year is a very long time for three chapters, but if the edits were more than she expected, she might have gotten cold feet and just isn't sure how to approach you.

But, regardless -- if you want another editor, there are a number of places to look. You might try subscribing to "The Writer" magazine or "Writer's Digest" magazine. Both have advertisements in the back for editing services. Usually, you'll be paying from $1 to $4 per page, so keep that in mind when you're looking. Check for prior WORK experience in editing. You're looking for someone who has received a paycheck for their editing work for several years. Don't be afraid to ask their experience. There are a LOT of editors out there, but not nearly as many GOOD ones.

It's sort of like agents -- a bad editor is worse than no editor at all!

Good luck!

god0sgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you yet agian

Thank you yet agian! I know i must sound like an idoit, but this is all so new to me..thank you so much

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about your questions! We're all new to this at some point. That's the point of these boards, after all. I'm just glad you've found us. Good luck! Let us know how things are working out.

god0sgirl

Registered
Reaction score
thank you

thanks katie and Cathy, i really appreciate it...i don't know how i survived without this website for so long...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.