Please welcome me :)

ethan.newbie

New Kid, be harsh!
Registered
Reaction score
Found this awesome forum - glad to register. Looking at some of the posts is sure intimidating, but one has to start somewhere, right?

A bit about me - I think I'm quite unusual compared to many others, and not necessarily in a good way, and that worries me.

As a background: I'm an engineer and an MBA (don't stone me please, I did not create the current crisis, blame it on the guys from the *other* B-school. And there's this joke 'how do you know if someone is an MBA? .. he tells you')

My job involves advising companies, and has nothing even remotely close to creativity or writing elegant English prose, unless you think creating power-point slides is creative. I now live in London and just so you know, I'm not even a native English speaker. I feel a lot stacked against me but I won't let that run me over, not yet.

I've always thought about writing - on and off. I had a blog that was rather popular, and apart from that I've won a competition or two during school, and that was long ago. I've never done full time writing. Recently I thought about it more and more, and finally jumped into the act of typing out a few pages - about 11 pages in 1 day..don't know if that's good or bad - of a crime fiction. I've thought about the plot and settings and I'm reasonably confident I can take it to a logical conclusion (writing, that is, getting it published is an entirely different ballgame I guess)

I'm realistic about my chances here, but it'd be great to participate in this forum, learn a thing or two from you, and figure out how to do a good job of what I'm set to do.

I look forward to hearing from you all, and interacting with you over the coming weeks and months. Let me see where this journey takes me! :)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. You seem to enjoy writing. That is the main thing, as far as I'm concerned. If you get further than that, it's the gravy on the meat (I don't really like sweet things). So, again, welcome.

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent introduction! (I'm sure the first chapter of your novel will be just as engaging.):) Welcome!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

Nix

Registered
Reaction score
As Kander and Ebb once wrote: ♪ "Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome!"

ethan.newbie

New Kid, be harsh!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch, everyone. I hope to participate more regularly and hopefully this will all lead to somewhere (not the agent's trash bin)

EdwardL

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Ethan. Glad to have you here. ;)

I don't know if I am one of the uncommon type of members here, but I'm damn curious about pretty much everything, so... is it okay to ask what is your native language if english is not?

...I wonder about my native language myself, since I got two and I know only one of them... silly, I know, but it happens.

Anyways, welcome welcome and welcome once again!

WarrenS

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm brand new, too. I've been lurking for awhile, though. I really like this forum. Seems like a friendly place, and is very informative.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
5-2.gif

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, and howdy.