Click this and $5000 will magically appear

Anahid21

Registered
Reaction score
Not really, but I thought it'd be a great trick to draw you in. ;)

About me: I'm obviously a newbie and a writer. Recently I finished a fantasy trilogy based on Persian folklore and mythology and I'm now looking for representation. It's not easy because I have about %-1 credentials (non-English experience counts as negative, doesn't it?) English is not my first language. Not that it's a problem since I speak it better than half the population of my city. But I've only been in this city for 12 years and didn't join any writing groups or win any awards. Bad for the resume? I'm sure it is. If any of you know how to change one's past please let me know.

My novel on the other hand is awesome :D. It's aimed at a young audience, it's fantasy, and it's professionally edited by a master ghost writer who does have excellent language credentials. It's about a journey that happens in 14th century Persia and has all the elements of a "1001 Nights" story (except for the X rated parts.) I'm hoping its exotic flavor will attract at least one agent.

I found this forum because I used it to verify agent backgrounds. I'm still using it mostly for this purpose but I thought I'd say hi and get to know a few of you so that I would feel more like a writer than I do in my isolated little room in front of a laptop.

Questions? Feel free to ask.:Sun:

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Heh. That title drew Alleycat like a dead fish on a hot day.

And welcome. :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. That title drew Alleycat like a dead fish on a hot day.
Ha! I don't need it. I got an e-mail from the Minister of Lost Money in Nigeria just this morning. I'm getting a check for $25 million as soon as I send them $184 to pay for the FedEx delivery. So there!

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Welcome, Anahid. You don't have to tell an agent upfront that English isn't your first language. If they can't tell from the MS, they won't care anyway.

I think basing a fantasy story on Persian mythology is brilliant. It will definitely make you stand out from the crowd.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Ha! I don't need it. I got an e-mail from the Minister of Lost Money in Nigeria just this morning. I'm getting a check for $25 million as soon as I send them $184 to pay for the FedEx delivery. So there!

But you thought the title signaled SPAM, didn't you? You're usually the first reply I see right before I delete those threads. ;)

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Anahid21!

And a jokester too! :ROFL: One question (I think), what is you first language, (if you want to answer of course)?

I hope you enjoy your time here. And to help you enjoy it even more, I would suggest visiting us at Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie 'Traditional Irish Pub' thread . We have cookies, breakfast, drinks, karaoke, and good natured fun!

~Greeny/Christine

Anahid21

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, fast replies. I knew the magical money promise would do the trick. Learned it from a Nigerian prince who would love to hear from you if anyone is interested. :e2brows:

Thanks C.bronco. Agentquery.com is the site I'm using. I did a search for YA and Fantasy and it resulted in 48 pages :Wha: Looks like I've got a long list to sift through. But I'm using AW to check out their background and find out who is good (which so far they all were.)

I found the Share Your Work forum too and posted my query letter there under "Query gone awry!" It includes the synopsis of my novel if anyone is interested. Seriously looking for some feedback.

Ahh, it's good to be among friends...:tongue

Edit:
And a jokester too! One question (I think), what is you first language, (if you want to answer of course)?

Humor is my defence against life, which constantly plays dodge ball with me. My first language is Farsi. I'm originally from Iran that's why my book emphasises on Persian mythology. There's so much amazing story material there I couldn't pass it up. That's why I said my novel is awesome :)

And thanks, I'll definitely visit the pub.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:!

But you thought the title signaled SPAM, didn't you? You're usually the first reply I see right before I delete those threads. ;)
I was THIS CLOSE to hitting the red triangle when I opened this thread, but then saw the OP was joking. No payload, no website, do not pass Go, do not collect $200 or with inflation $5000...

As you'll eventually see, Anahid21, we do get the occasional new "posters" that DO post those types of things, but the red triangles call up the mods who are really good about sweeping those things away.

Anahid21

Registered
Reaction score
I was THIS CLOSE to hitting the red triangle when I opened this thread, but then saw the OP was joking. No payload, no website, do not pass Go, do not collect $200 or with inflation $5000...

As you'll eventually see, Anahid21, we do get the occasional new "posters" that DO post those types of things, but the red triangles call up the mods who are really good about sweeping those things away.

Aw, it totally escaped me that it might be seen as spam. Now that I look at it I see what you mean. I hope I don't have to change the title. I still find it quite catching and the word "magically" should be a giveaway, at least to an extent.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, fast replies. I knew the magical money promise would do the trick. Learned it from a Nigerian prince who would love to hear from you if anyone is interested. :e2brows:
Humor is my defence against life, which constantly plays dodge ball with me. My first language is Farsi. I'm originally from Iran that's why my book emphasises on Persian mythology. There's so much amazing story material there I couldn't pass it up. That's why I said my novel is awesome :)

And thanks, I'll definitely visit the pub.
We don't see that smiley often enough! :ROFL: We all need our defenses, and humor is an admirable one. Thank you for humoring me and my question, I find that fascinating. And I must say that your novel sounds interesting. :) Come visit us, I'm sure you'll enjoy it...oh and as for the title:
A problem with it, while I understand that "magically appear" certainly adds the humor to it...in the New Posts or somewhere...where I saw it...it ended before "magically". And in either case...as funny as it is, we have had many spammers in the past...and there are many to come. We haven't been able to scare them away even with insane talkings about:
Dolphins, bunnehs, kittehs, Orlando Bloom, eggplants, gnomes, and of course turnips...:D But even still...I doubt they'll make you change the title!

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I wish you success. I'm within a couple of days of finishing the third book in my YA trilogy set in fourteenth century England. The first two books are now published. I've sent them to competitions but haven't even been short listed. I've submitted them to the Premier's Reading Challenge for high schools in each state, and I've been accepted in NSW. That's a big boost. When I'm talking to teachers at book signings, they're impressed.

So I suggest you try to get the first book published then send it everywhere to get a prize or acceptance in some way.

Maleficient

Writing my butt off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissakesead.com
I am a newbie to this site as well. I am on multiple other sites (too many to list) and this one was recommended to me by a friend on WritersCafe so I thought I'd check it out.

I am writing a young adult fantasy adventure as well and have self published two in a series of ten children's picture books. I also write adult horror, romance and erotica. Geez, can I put a few more things into that mix??? :D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
5-2.gif

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

Anahid21

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I wish you success.

So I suggest you try to get the first book published then send it everywhere to get a prize or acceptance in some way.

Thank you for the advice. I agree but that's a little like a catch 22: They aren't too inclined to publish unless you have some awards under your belt, but you have to publish to get the awards under your belt. It's a little discouraging. I'm counting on the exotic nature of the topic to catch some attention. I mean, come on, it's about a whole new Aladdin story. When did we ever have that?