Not Just Another Noob Thread...

LiquidDan

deep in the jungle!
Registered
Reaction score
Er, actually, it is... I'm sorry, I just wanted you guys to like me :e2cry:

Okay, enough insanity, just thought I'd pop in and introduce myself. I'm a 27 year old history student from the UK. I've loved writing since childhood, but kinda strayed away for more than a few years to pursue other creative interests like making music and drawing. However, I'm now firmly settled again with my first love, and it's really what I'm best at, I think.

I find that writing can be a painstakingly slow process sometimes, and I haven't completed nearly as much as I would like. I've written a couple of short stories, a sort of YA novella (which was really only begun as an exercise to shake the cobwebs off, but spiralled as these things do!) and am currently working on my first novel, which I'm slightly unsure how to classify (although Medievalist's explanation of Bildungsroman seems to fit). I would consider myself primarily as a horror writer, although everything I've written seems to be in every genre but, which may be quite telling!

I've never shown my work to anyone other than my girlfriend or family. It would be really helpful to get some neutral advice, so when I pluck up the courage I may post something up in the SYW forum. And then brace myself... :D

Anyway, I've rambled on for long enough. It's great to meet you all, I've lurked for a while and know that there are a lot of intelligent and friendly people here, and I'm looking forward to being part of the community. :hooray:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

LiquidDan

deep in the jungle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

Bud: the good luck is appreciated! Sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just jack it in, but something keeps driving me on, and I know I won't be satisfied until it's finished, no matter how bad it is! I suppose most writers have thoughts like that at some stage though.
CACTUSWENDY: salted, thank you... :popcorn:

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Hi there, Dan, and welcome to AW. I write historical fiction (a bit in the trend of The Three Musketeers, but still...) and enjoyed learning about history a lot!

Nickie

jerry phoenix

Almost expert!
Registered
Reaction score
hi liquiddan

welcome. i have found this site really helpfull on more than one occation, and really ffffrustrating a few times too. still its good to know there are other people in the same boat as yerself.

post in share your work. it is painful (critters bite) and good for you.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: LiquidDan!

I hope you enjoy your time here. And to help you enjoy it even more, I would suggest visiting us at Jed's Super-Dooper Newbie 'Traditional Irish Pub' thread . We have cookies, breakfast, drinks, karaoke, and good natured fun!

Good luck with your writing, sometimes it can feel slow but it's usually worth the time!

~Christine

Marcus

sept 5th and I'm Out
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Er, actually, it is... I'm sorry, I just wanted you guys to like me :e2cry:

just thought I'd pop in and introduce myself. I'm a 27 year old history student I'm now firmly settled again with my first love, and it's really what I'm best at, I think.

I've never shown my work to anyone other than my girlfriend or family. It would be really helpful to get some neutral advice, so when I pluck up the courage I may post something up in the SYW forum. And then brace myself... :D

You sound a Lot like me. I'm about to become a full time student hopefully. One of the best things about this website is the overall high level of intelligence. I've only been here for a weekish and I've had a few thought provoking realizations reading through some posts. Some of the stuff here is very entertaining.

Best of luck with your work, and hope to see you around the forum. :)

LiquidDan

deep in the jungle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome everybody :D

Nickie: I really enjoy learning about history too, but it hasn't really translated into my fiction as of yet... I've always been slightly daunted by the idea of trying to portray a certain time/era authentically, and so I have a lot of respect for you for doing so :Thumbs:
I do have some good ideas for some supernatural style tales from my favourite periods (Victorian/Edwardian and Inter-war Britain) which I hope to work on in the future.

Jerry Phoenix: I'm sure I'll take the plunge in SYW sooner or later, but I'm the kind of person who will think, "ok, just one more re-write/draft before I post it", which will then go on and on, until I eventually never end up posting it at all! I honestly annoy myself no end, but I'm making a conscious decision to stop being so ridiculous, stop being such a wuss and go for it! :D

Greenify13/Christine: Thanks for the suggestion, I might just do that. Must stay off the Guinness though, or my already meagre output will surely grind to a complete halt!

Marcus: Good luck with the studies my man, going to uni was definitely the best thing I've done, although I left it a bit late! What are you looking to study? And, yes, this site is a real goldmine for information and solid advice. I've been to quite a few writer's sites on the web and this is the best by far imo. Hope to see you around too! :Thumbs:

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome everybody :D
Greenify13/Christine: Thanks for the suggestion, I might just do that. Must stay off the Guinness though, or my already meagre output will surely grind to a complete halt!
Don't worry, we have anything and everything...including blood for our vampire patrons! And we have been known to, sometimes, boost the ideas and work output...or just the opposite! :D

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score