Used to be I couldn't even spell "publisher"...

Jesudas Baba

Tripping Out = Losing out!
Registered
Reaction score
Howdy!

After a strange and exciting journey of spiritual self-discovery, I have decided to "follow my bliss" and start a publishing company. Actually, I first was interested in publishing my own writing, but after a while I realized that, for myself, at least, publishing was a lot more fun than writing!

I came across this site searching for resources for content (i.e. stories to publish) and found it to be much more than that! I am excited to be part of this community of writers, even though my focus is not so much on the writing anymore. I am still writing a little bit (I've got some good stories, may as well finish them!), so I feel connected with everyone in that way.

I am, however, a publisher first, and, as such, I am interested in breaking down the Writer/Publisher "barrier" (so to speak). Often in the past there has been an almost adversarial relationship between writers and publishers. I wish to develop more of a partnership with writers, working together to provide higher quality entertainment for the reading public.

I am excited to hear your ideas, advise, suggestions, and any other commentary about how this paradigm may be developed!

Bless you all!

Jesudas Baba

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy!

Thanks for the welcome everybody!

Roger - Thanks for the heads up about those other forum (What is the plural for forum? My Latin is shaky...)! Good stuff in there!

Madison - Way cool stuff! Thanks for sharing! FYI, I will be publishing fantasy and sci-fi, so PLEASE keep an eye out for my upcoming call for submissions (carefully posted in the correct forum, of course!;)). Very nice website, by the way! Uberkudos!

Lovin' y'all!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Much success to you. Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

Pilot

Commander Tiberius
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. There are some really great people here whom I'm sure you'll enjoy meeting.

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Welcome to the Cooler, Jesudas. I agree, being a publisher is a very rewarding job. I've done it for two years also, but had to sell off the company due to personal circumstances.

Nickie

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Jesudas Baba

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy!

Starting to feel really warm and cozy, guys! Thanks!

CACTUSWENDY - Thanks for the success thoughts! I am a traditionalist as far as popcorn goes...melted butter and lots of it! I am not adverse to to the occasional wild experimentation, however. Jalapenos can be a nice addition...

Mr. Macdonald, sir! - 1) Way thanks for the Latin lesson! 2) Fortunately, my greatest successes have happened when I completely bypassed "entry-level positions!" :snoopy:

Pilot - You Rock! There are great people here and you are one of them!

Nickie - Sad to hear you had to sell...Do you plan to try again?

PeaceLoveJoy!!!

Jesudas Baba

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy!

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

A writer with a sense of humor!! BigWords, you WAY rock!!! What genre do you write your "really strange stuff" in? If it is Fantasy or Sci-Fi I would like to invite a submission...If it isn't, maybe I should branch out?

Jamie - You have such a way with "words!"

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I write things that make people squirm in their seats, then run away screaming.

Hopefully. :)

Horror, horror-thrillers, a-kinda-horror western, a Polari/Avengers/Department S type thriller WIP among other disturbing and warped things. I blame society for making me this way... :D

storylady

Registered
Reaction score
Great to have you here. I could use some pointers because I want to get a few of my stories published :) Welcome

EllenViolette

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theebookcoach.com
What model do you have in mind?

I'm new so I hope I do this right!

It sounds great. But with the internet and people able to
write and promote their own works
how do you see the role of the publisher
now and what can you do for people?

Ellen

Howdy!

After a strange and exciting journey of spiritual self-discovery, I have decided to "follow my bliss" and start a publishing company. Actually, I first was interested in publishing my own writing, but after a while I realized that, for myself, at least, publishing was a lot more fun than writing!

I came across this site searching for resources for content (i.e. stories to publish) and found it to be much more than that! I am excited to be part of this community of writers, even though my focus is not so much on the writing anymore. I am still writing a little bit (I've got some good stories, may as well finish them!), so I feel connected with everyone in that way.

I am, however, a publisher first, and, as such, I am interested in breaking down the Writer/Publisher "barrier" (so to speak). Often in the past there has been an almost adversarial relationship between writers and publishers. I wish to develop more of a partnership with writers, working together to provide higher quality entertainment for the reading public.

I am excited to hear your ideas, advise, suggestions, and any other commentary about how this paradigm may be developed!

Bless you all!

Jesudas Baba

Registered
Reaction score
BigWords - Great!

I consider Horror/etc. to be a subgenre of Fantasy, in most cases. Things like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (a true story...), Poe's The Cask of Amontillado or the movie Seven (neither in a Fantasy setting), and the Alien movies (Sci-Fi) are not Fantasy, but the majority of Horror really is, if you stop to think about it...

If you are a better writer than your average monkey and as frightening as H.P Lovecraft, I invite you to submit.

Ever thought of Comedy-Horror? I plan a whole section devoted to humor.

I completely relate to your blaming society...I used to be a professional Rock Musician!:e2headban

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
If you can stomach my blog, I may have discovered a new sub-sub-sub-genre of horror (and I wasn't even being serious when the thought popped into my head).

Jesudas Baba

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy!

Ellen! Great question!

I am developing a new paradigm for publishing that is both inclusive of traditional publishing services and blazing new trails based on the abilities of electronic communication.

Traditional Publishing Services -
EDITING!!!! - The worst mistake an author can make is to try to edit their own Work. This is not a reflection on the writer's editing ability, in fact, many authors are very capable editors. The problem is that the writer already knows what is meant in each sentence and therefore may miss that it doesn't actually say that! Familiarity with a work causes editing errors. Most trad publishers use 2-4 different editors on a single Work just to combat this, AND they use yet a different editor to check the final version to make sure nothing else went wrong!
Book Design - Font choice, HTML, what page does the next chapter actually start on, title page, cover art, illustrations...this is all grunt work that nevertheless must be done, and done well, for the book to be sold. Yeah, the writer can do all that, but some of it can be expensive, and wouldn't you rather be writing?
Formatting - If you self-publish eBooks you are a little bit limited as to what readers are available for you. It is possible to get apps that enable you to translate into the various codes the various readers use, but, again, they can be expensive (The Apple iPhone translator is about $250). Then you have to go through the trouble of actually doing the work of translation and putting the new translation up on you website. (Wait...I thought you wanted to spend your time writing...) Your publisher will do all this for you. Alternately, you can sell through the publishers that originate or use those readers, such as Amazon and their Kindle, but that has its own problems, which brings me to
Marketing!!! - Lets face it, you are a writer, not a merchant. You would really rather hide away with your preferred compositional device and pump out a few (hundred thousand) words. If you self publish or publish through one of the "publish your book here" sites, even Amazon, you are going to have to spend a significant amount of time and money selling your book, and you have better uses for both, I am sure. Publishers are in the business of selling books, and I plan on using a significant portion of the sales receipts of each individual Work to advertise that specific Work.

New Trails Blazed -
Higher Royalties - I am starting at 35%, just like all those other eBook publishers that don't do anything else but put your Work on their site, except I am doing everything but write the Work for you. Also, as sales go up, so do your royalties - up to 50%!
Faster Pay Schedule - In the WAAAAAAYYY old days, before the 20th century, publishers would only pay royalties once a year! A few still do. After a while they started paying twice a year, and there are many who stubbornly adhere to this schedule to this day. In the not so old days, before eBooks, twice a year was the norm, with the occasional house paying once a quarter. Nowadays, it is common to find quarterly and even monthly pay schedules. I plan on paying once a week!
Online radio - We (my web team and I) plan a page on FBK that is a radio, with several different stations dedicated to various focii (Mr MacDonald, sir, is that the correct plural for focus?), those being; works read by the author, works read by professional voice-over artists (wouldn't it be great if I could get James Earl Jones under contract?!?!), dramatized works, real science, Serials (like the old fifties radio programs), and so much more! It will, of course, take a little time before this will be possible, simply because the production of programs takes time.
Video "About the Author" Pages - OK, not such a big deal as far as what I can do for you, but you gotta admit it is pretty cool. Oh, yeah, those will also be put on YouTube with a link back to your book.
Merchandising - Imagine, if you will, your lead character as an action figure! Tee-shirts (silk screen and batiks{!}, both all organic), coffee mugs, posters, you name it. Again, this will take a little time to implement, but it does have its place on the timeline.

Other Stuff-
Printing and Distribution - Traditional publishing houses just publish and sell books. They don't print books. They pay a printing house. They don't warehouse or distribute those books. Again, they hire out those services. At first, since I am publishing eBooks, this will not be an issue. Eventually, however, I plan on printing and distributing "in house" using a distribution method I have designed. This will greatly reduce per book costs, increasing everyone's income!
Web Experience - Fly-By Knight Books will be more than a store to buy books at, it will be an all around fun place to be online. It will have; games (some based on your book), the radio, video clips, real science, author interviews, an app to explore the Mandelbrot Set, really, there is no limit to what we can do. ("The sky? The sky ain't no limit! The ground! Now that's a limit!" anonymous (I think) pilot)

Whoa! That's more than I meant to write...Does anyone else ever get going and just can't stop?

I will post more later...as I think of stuff...

Last edited: