Not open for further replies.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Inspired by Uncle Jim's thread in the Novels forum, I thought we could have some fun with this here as well mainly because I don't have enough to do or enough time to read everything some of you might have.

The rules (Mods, feel free to chime in here),

You can post the first page (ie the first half-page, double-spaced, or 100 words - from any published work or your own published/unpublished work of horror or cross-genre horror fiction (per Haggis' instructions below).

You can respond by saying "Yes" or "No" and by stating, in a polite manner, why (again, as per Haggis' instructions below). You may not insult the personal integrity or style of the author in any fashion although you may be frank about why you would not turn the page.

No Stephanie Meyers stuff! Period. End of story.

If you are the author of the piece you may respond, in a polite fashion, and invite discussion (here or elsewhere) on how the first page might be improved.

Don't tell us right away where the piece is from or who it's by. You must, however, let us know later.

I'll post a piece of mine tomorrow as I don't have the right file with me right now, but let's play.

Or you can just tell me to go soak my head...

Last edited:

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Okay, rather than starting off with something of mine, here's the first page of a published novel,

-----
"The dead scrabbled for an entrance to his grave. His wife was among them, as ravenous for Jim in death as she'd been in life. Their faint, soulless cries drifted down through ten feet of soil and rock.

The kerosene lamp cast flickering shadows on the cinder block walls, and the air in the shelter was stale and earthy. His grip on the Ruger tightened. Above him, Carrie shrieked and clawed at the earth.

She'd been dead for a week.

Jim sighed, breathing in the dank air. He lifted the metal coffeepot from where it sat on the heater and poured himself a cup."
-----
104 words

Do you turn the page?

Last edited:

rsmccoy

A sphincter says what?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.necrotictissue.com
There are issues with posting copyrighted material without permission. I think it would be better to use people's unpublished work or at least work people own the rights to.

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
10% of all copyrighted material can be "sampled" without permission. As long as credit is given where due, and you don't try and claim you wrote it, there shouldn't be a problem. (Well, I guess flash fiction and micro fiction would be out.)

Last edited:

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
rsmccoy, I believe this constitutes what might be called "fair use" in that it is clearly stated that it is not for intention of copyright violation, it's an extremely small section (a couple of hundred words), and it's in the nature of a game or blurb for "review" purposes. In addition, we will give attribution once people have commented, stating whose work the piece is from.

Haggis, DL Hegel, what say the Mods?

DeeCaudill

Nightmare Recycler
Registered
Reaction score
I did turn the page...

Establishes the situation without hesitation, then gets a little bit infodumpy. I don't mind since it explains why Jim has a bunker in the first place.

The fact that it's his wife above ups the dread factor.

A few pages later, when we get to see her I thought it was campy and funny. I'm still not sure if it was the author's intent.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Haggis, DL Hegel, what say the Mods?

AW has a standard for fair use. I'm pretty sure it's not to exceed 50 words, but I'll check. Of course, you can always use a link, but I suppose that would kill the purpose of the exercise. I'll get back on this.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I got some advice from Medievalist on this one, and I think I'm going to use it--at least until I hear different from Mac. So, here it is:

Limit your quotation to 100 words, and make sure you quote the source once the guessing is done;

Make sure you surround the text with Quotes (or the AW quote function).

All "yes" or "no" replies need some reasoning behind them, even if it's simply "it didn't work for me;"

No use of other AW member's stories. Your own is fair game.

Scott is right to be concerned. It's a tricky situation, and what constitutes "fair use" is not always all that clear. But if we use this thread the way it's intended--as an exercise, and if we always site the source, it should be okay.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Thanks, Haggis. If it's not to exceed 50 words, we'll stick to that until you get back to us.

Callalilly, The book is "The Rising" by Brian Keene.

Thank you! I lurves Keene's writing. Knew I knew this book. It's been a couple of years, tho.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Okay, here's another one. I'll tell you up-front that this one was translated into a decent horror movie, but it's most famous for being SF.

-----
"The place stank. A queer, mingled stench that only the ice-buried cabins of an Antarctic camp know, compounded of reeking human sweat, and the heavy, fish-oil stench of melted seal blubber. An overtone of liniment combated the musty smell of sweat-and-snow-drenched furs. The acrid odor of burnt cooking fat, and the animal, not-unpleasant smell of dogs, diluted by time, hung in the air.

Lingering odors of machine oil contrasted sharply with the taint of harness dressing and leather. Yet somehow, through all that reek of human beings and their associates - dogs, machines and cooking - came another taint."
-----

Do you turn the page?

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
The Thing? Yes I'd definitely turn the page. I actually don't mind starting things with a bit of description. This is strong, says what it needs to say and within two paragraphs points us in the direction it intends to go. Good writing MO

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Yup, it's the opening for John W. Campbell's novella "Who Goes There" which was made into the movie "The Thing From Another World" in the 1950s and, of course, John Carpenter's classic horror version "The Thing" in 1982.

I think Carpenter's version more faithfiully follows the story, but there is a lot in this opening that sets the entire scene and tone for the story, just as Carpenter strove to do in his opening scenes.

Notice how much Campbell relies on smells to set his scene. Smell is one of the most emotionally powerful senses in humans, but I think it's often overlooked in our writing.

Doodlebug

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mscottfiction.com
Okay, here's another one. I'll tell you up-front that this one was translated into a decent horror movie, but it's most famous for being SF.

-----
"The place stank. A queer, mingled stench that only the ice-buried cabins of an Antarctic camp know, compounded of reeking human sweat, and the heavy, fish-oil stench of melted seal blubber. An overtone of liniment combated the musty smell of sweat-and-snow-drenched furs. The acrid odor of burnt cooking fat, and the animal, not-unpleasant smell of dogs, diluted by time, hung in the air.

Lingering odors of machine oil contrasted sharply with the taint of harness dressing and leather. Yet somehow, through all that reek of human beings and their associates - dogs, machines and cooking - came another taint."
-----

Do you turn the page?

Definitely. Love the book; love the movie.

And just to add...why would I read on? (1) it takes place in Antarctica (which, for me, is a fascinating setting) and (2) it's a short, interesting description that implies there is action going on (cooking, sweaty furs, dogs). The cliffhanger at the end is great, too.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I almost always turn the other page, regardless. But "...came another taint" was the hook that nailed it for me.

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
Here is another one. 81 words. The next sentence would have pushed it to 118 words, which I thought was a little too far over the 100 limit:

"More than twenty years ago, an underrated Arizona schoolboy named Tom Flanagan was asked by another boy to spend the Christmas vacation with him at the house of his uncle. Tom Flanagan’s father was dying of cancer, though no one at the school knew of this, and the uncle’s house was far away, such a distance that return would have been difficult. Tom refused. At the end of the year his friend repeated the invitation, and this time Tom Flanagan accepted."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.