New to the writing world

srose

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm Stephanie, a brand new writer - or rather, someone who has written her entire life, but only recently started to take it seriously.

I just finished my first novel for young adults about a month ago. I've had amazing luck actually (I'm almost embarrassed to admit after reading horror stories). Currently I'm waiting on a few agents to respond after they requested parts of my manuscript. First hundred, first three chapters, first fifty, etc. It's possibly the most exciting and frightening thing that has ever happened to me.

As of today, I had an agent who read the first three chapters request my full manuscript. I've never been so excited and terrified in my life!

I'm quite proud of my book, however, I'll be the first to admit that it needs professional editing - and that I don't know how to go about. So any advice would be appreciated. I'm not sure how to find someone with an editors eye with out large amounts of money, or an agent.
undecided.gif

I'm 27, live in Everett WA with my two beautiful dogs, in the same part of town I grew up in. Formerly a radio personality in Seattle, I'm currently teaching piano to help support my writing habit. I'm a classically trained pianist, and have played for 22 years.

So that's me - I'm looking forward to meeting and chatting with you.

<3

Bud

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Wow!! Congratulations I hope myself to be in your shoes but first time out!! That is something. You will get plenty of help here and answers to your questions. I am nowhere near the point you are at so I won't be of any help sorry. I myself look to edit my own work I am sure you will find someone here to give you better advice I am happy to welcome you to a great site. Good Luck and hope you ms sells!!!

Diny123

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I was nervous

Welcome to us bOTH!-
I found this site from reading agent blogs- I am certain they are hiding around corners ready to pounce on us newbies with pails of red paint and postage due SASE's...

Working nights I peruse the web researching and reading- I look forward to the interaction with professionals and ametures alike- Di

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Whew! I have an avatar now. I feel much better. Howdy, everyone! I'm Lisa, I'm a newbie here. Agented, novel on submission. Tonight am editing said novel. I'm bored. I'm distracting myself with medical shows on Discovery Channel. I thought I'd try distracting myself here.

srose

Registered
Reaction score
In searching for agents, I had used this site a ton of times reading the "bewares" section. I finally decided I had to join.

And Kayley, that is freaky! What are the odds? Hi, neighbor!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm excited to get to know you.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. When a publisher takes you on, they will have it professionally edited and they'll pay for it. But to make sure you do get a publisher, you should edit you own work to death before submitting it. Read the forums and learn about POV, said-bookisms and dialogue tag adverbs. My Australian publisher wasn't unduely worried and their editor was gentle with me but my Canadian publisher has set a very strict editor onto my books and I've had accept a lot of changes.

So don't spend money but do spend time on your work. It's a good investment.

And welcome all the newbies in this thread.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

srose

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Lots of Washingtonians arriving. Rainy today? Welcome to AW.:welcome:

Funny guy, eh? ;) It's actually pretty warm this weekend!

Thanks Mumet for the information. That is what I thought was the case, but then I had an agent tell me (before she read it) that she only takes edited scripts. My script is VERY clean, and has been edited by myself and friends, however our knowledge is limited.

Thanks everyone for the welcomes, I am just so excited to be here!

C.H. Valentino

Wording!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chvalentino.com
Welcome.

Check out the Share Your Work forums. Can be a lot of help and I believe, somewhere.... around....here....

There is a place for Betas and writtin' partners and stuff like dat.

Come hang.

We bite.

kposa

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! Good to hear about the requests for your ms. Keep us posted!

Jerry B. Flory

under the Milky Way
Registered
Reaction score
As of today, I had an agent who read the first three chapters request my full manuscript. I've never been so excited and terrified in my life!

I hope his name wasn't Leonid.