Thrilled to be OUT-ish

Anonymissy

not so anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
Like most newbies, I've lurked here so long I know everyone's name, their agents, their agent-finding efforts, their WIPs, and even MORE stuff than that. I cannot tell you how many times I've held my breath while someone's query turned into a partial and then .... I love how kind people are when that happens for better or worse. And the many smart threads on writing have been terrific to read. I love it here.

But until today, I've mostly just soaked up the atmosphere and the information.

Today, I had a great conversation with a potential agent about my book. And now, I am in the amazing and incredibly lucky position of needing to let the other eight agents who have my book know that I've gotten an offer. I'm about to go search for that thread -- or maybe it was a sticky -- where the perfect words for doing this can be found. The only trouble is that I never, ever thought I'd have any use for that, so I basically ignored it.

A good problem to have today, I think. I'm looking forward to being more and more out as time goes on.

xo
Anonymissy

Anonymissy

not so anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Mostly, I got up the nerve to introduce myself because I wanted to say how terribly grateful I am to the many posters here -- I've been hugely encouraged in my querying efforts by the persistence and grace shown by so many writers on this site. And now that I've actually managed to post this, I hope I can pay back my considerable debt to AW by being helpful in any way I can, maybe first by documenting my many, many attempts to find an agent.

YukonMike

Look! That's my book!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fwfr.com
Congrats Anonymissy, that's amazing news.

Send a short, polite e-mail to the other agents saying you have been offered representation by another agent. Tell them your mind isn't made up yet and you'll be making a decision in a week or two, so if you liked the manuscript and would like to give me an offer to represent as well, HURRY UP! :)

Anonymissy

not so anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
YukonMike:

How's this:

"Dear Agent,

I've received an offer of representation for NOVEL. I've asked the agent who made the offer for two weeks to think things over and to get in touch with the other agents who've requested more material. I was delighted that you wanted to see more of NOVEL and hope what you've read so far continues to be of interest to you. If it does, and you are interested in pursuing representation, I'd be pleased to discuss it with you."

or: Going ONCE Going TWICE, pick me-me-me-me-me!

Anonymissy

not so anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
RichardB, Ha! Lurking doesn't count, does it? Although you can age very fast when you lurk and the clock is ticking on those queries and you have no one to whine too about how long it is taking!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?
Congratz......much success.

Anonymissy

not so anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Wendy:

In re popcorn: I like it with a little parmesan on it. and popped in a pan, with a little oil, the way my dad makes it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Stan

Puzur
Registered
Reaction score
Curious, other than the obvious thing like how well one clicks with one agent versus another, you know, personality and all that, how does one go about selecting with multiple offers for representation?

Anonymissy

not so anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
It's so FRIENDLY here! popcorn, signs, faces jumping up and down. Thank you!

Stan --

Should I be so lucky as to HAVE multiple offers of representation (so far, the only multiple I truly have is rejections -- plus the one offer, and then the outstanding requests for fulls and partials, which could hardly be characterized as "multiple") -- I will let you know. My guess is that it's a combination of feeling like the agent gets your book and so will sell it -- and your future books -- to an appropriate editor, an assessment about the agent's skill in selling books, and a feeling that, when you need to call this agent, you will look forward to that call and feel comfortable speaking to them.

I was struck, in my phone conversation yesterday with the offering agent, by how much I really liked her. But then, what is not to like about an agent who tells you your manuscript is a very strong book, and that she feels the pacing, voice and style are rarely out of sync. I swear to god, she said those things! (I wrote them down, because I was having a hard time breathing and find that using a pencil distracted me and kept me from asphyxiating). Plus, she has that kind of voice that makes you think it would be hard to say no to her.

And now I will stop going on and on and wish you much luck in your own work and search for representation.

Anonymissy

not so anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
Not at all! The other times people have asked me that question on AW, I've described my book as "book group fiction" -- entertaining and thought provoking fiction that straddles the literary/commercial divide. Like Snow Falling on Cedars, Cold Mountain -- the kind of thing that's shelved in the "fiction" section of the bookstore.