Hello from the wildlife world

jbetz

Casual screenwriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virtualtreeproductions.com
Hi everyone. I am a wildlife cameraman/editor/filmmaker, and I thought it might be fun to dabble in screenwriting, if only (and most likely only) for my own personal benefit. I once spent much of my time writing, mostly short stories, poetry, and the occasional article, but writing has fallen fairly low on my list of priorities as of late. I joined this forum with the hope that by surrounding myself with others enthusiastic about writing, I might find more motivation to write myself. - Jon

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. What kind of wildlife have you filmed lately? :)

jbetz

Casual screenwriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I recently completed a documentary on the Saratoga Lake watershed in Saratoga County, New York. The film depicted the social and environmental issues surrounding the watershed, including interactions between humans and the natural world. Most of my recent wildlife shooting was for b-roll for that film, and included a lot of common wildlife from the Upstate region. This summer I am focusing on beavers, white-tailed deer, and foxes, although I am currently on vacation and haven't begun shooting yet.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

Bobster

Think loose, write tight!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Jon. :) I love watching wildlife shows on TV and live in a woodsy area in Tennessee where I get a daily dose of birds, wild turkeys, deer, squirrel, hawks, butterflies, skeeters, and snakes. I also see wild life at a local honky tonk, but that's another story. Good luck with your writing.

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
Hi. Cool job. What would you like to write? Do you have an idea in mind, and just need help on how to get rolling? With a lot of quiet time outdoors, you probably have lots of time to come up with ideas, and the skills to catch really elusive things.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

storylady

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a wildlife cameraman/editor/filmmaker, and I thought it might be fun to dabble in screenwriting, if only (and most likely only) for my own personal benefit. I once spent much of my time writing, mostly short stories, poetry, and the occasional article, but writing has fallen fairly low on my list of priorities as of late. I joined this forum with the hope that by surrounding myself with others enthusiastic about writing, I might find more motivation to write myself. - Jon

I can relate to being in the wildlife world. I was a Veterinary Tech who used to work in a small zoo & my husband is a Gator wrestler in FL. We have our share of wildlife in & out of out apartment LOL. Now I am a stay at home mom trying to write when I have free time. Welcome to the forum would love to share some crazy animal stories with ya sometime. :welcome:

Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Only wildlife I have caught on film are my children...

jbetz

Casual screenwriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I appreciate all the warm welcomes. I'm afraid I was a bit misleading in my introduction. I should have more accurately called myself an aspiring wildlife filmmaker. I just graduated college with a degree in biology, and am currently trying to network in the natural film industry and improve my wildlife showreel. This summer I am lucky enough to be able to spend lots of time outside filming, and I am looking for jobs as an assistant on wildlife film shoots. Although it is not my primary source of income yet, I did just land my first paid editing job! Anyway, if anyone would like to check out the work I have done so far, you can watch my showreel here.

As for my interest in writing, I want to start working on a screenplay for a short film I have been thinking about for a little while. It is not a project that I expect will result in an actual film, but I am interested in writing it as a learning exercise and introduction to screenwriting. I am also interested in writing about nature. I like the idea of nature prose, but I have not been able to combine my previous work into anything substantial. I am hoping to spend a lot of time outside this summer, and to spend a significant amount of that time writing.