Self Help Books V's General Reading

Which of these did you find helped you the most?

• Self help books, 'On Writing', 'Creative Writing' etc

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • General reading

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

CH1

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was just wondering...

Which do you think you have benefitted from the most?
Reading books such as 'On Writing', 'Creative Writing' etc.
or just reading as many books as possible, maybe in your own genre, various authors etc.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I've found craft books (Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, The First Five Pages, etc.) and reading widely have helped me the most. Self-help writing books haven't helped me all that much (and I find some downright annoying), but they're nice when I need a shot of inspiration.

I would recommend reading as many books as possible. I write primarily women's fiction but I certainly don't limit my reading to that genre. I'll read almost anything I can get my hands on.

spamwarrior

rewriting.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
acurrentundersea.wordpress.com
I found a good book by Jenna Glatzer on freelance writing... it really helped me visualize what editor's wanted and how to format my queries...

At the same time, reading a lot of good books is what really helped me learn how to write, and write well.

I think a mix of both is good.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But it's not just "general reading" (which is how I voted)--it's active reading. Not just having the experience of reading, but understanding what in the writing gave you that experience.

Every reader wants the experience. It's our jobs as writers to figure out how to do that.

Bud

Registered
Reaction score
But it's not just "general reading" it's active reading. Not just having the experience of reading, but understanding what in the writing gave you that experience.

Every reader wants the experience. It's our jobs as writers to figure out how to do that.

Well said Deleyanlee. I could not have said it better. I as well voted for reading it is what I find helps me the most. I read, and read, then read some more.