Sweden Approves Abortion Based on Sex of Fetus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
This Washington Times article has the details.
Swedish women will be permitted to abort their children based on the sex of the fetus, according to a ruling by Sweden's National Board of Health and Welfare.

The ruling was spurred by a request from Kai Wedenberg, head of the clinic where a woman twice requested, and received, an abortion based on sex.
Good idea, or not?

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It would be better if some people didn't get pregnant in the first place. If you want to choose the sex, adopt.

And this is coming from a hard-line pro-choicer.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's worked out really well for China (she said sarcastically).

Says the Gray Lady:

A bias in favor of male offspring has left China with 32 million more boys under the age of 20 than girls, creating “an imminent generation of excess men,” a study released Friday said.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
It would be better if some people didn't get pregnant in the first place. If you want to choose the sex, adopt.

And this is coming from a hard-line pro-choicer.

can't help but notice you didn't weigh in.

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd wait a while instead of writing my usual "Ministry of Truth" propaganda initial post and see how that played. :D

ETA: Neither did you. :rolleyes:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
It's worked out really well for China (she said sarcastically).

Says the Gray Lady:
A bias in favor of male offspring has left China with 32 million more boys under the age of 20 than girls, creating “an imminent generation of excess men,” a study released Friday said.
And people say we have nothing to fear from China. :rolleyes: Where are all those men going to find women if they don't come over here, take over our country, and open massive "comfort stations"?

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This Washington Times article has the details.

Good idea, or not?

Good idea? I doubt I'd characterize it as a "good idea," but I think it's inevitable, whether it's legal or not, so legalization is inevitable. I doubt anybody can really force a woman carry a fetus she doesn't want, nor should she be forced, for any reason. So, if she'd rather have a boy, have a boy.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
can't help but notice you didn't weigh in.
I don't think abortion should be illegal, period. That doesn't mean I'm going to agree with anyone's particular reason for aborting. I might think it's a stupid, selfish or shortsighted reason but ultimately it's their family they're building, not mine.

If it's none of my business if you want to have six kids, why would I suddenly believe I should have a say if you decide to have six girls?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this makes me physically ill to my stomach.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I don't think abortion should be illegal, period. That doesn't mean I'm going to agree with anyone's particular reason for aborting. I might think it's a stupid, selfish or shortsighted reason but ultimately it's their family they're building, not mine.

If it's none of my business if you want to have six kids, why would I suddenly believe I should have a say if you decide to have six girls?

okay. thanks.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think there is a difference between saying a person should have access to abortion if they are not ready and willing to have an unplanned child, and saying abortion has no weight and should be entirely at will for any cosmetic and aesthetic reason whatsoever.

Last edited:

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
and saying abortion has no weight and should be entirely at will for any cosmetic and aesthetic reason whatsoever.

Yeah, but that's what happens when you dilute the language...instead of calling it a "human baby," it's called a "fetus"...instead of saying "it's alive," it's said to have the "potential for life"....

You can't just dilute the language and not expect the morals behind the arguements to get diluted as well.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think their is a difference between saying a person should have access to abortion if they are not ready and willing to have an unplanned child, and saying abortion has no weight and should be entirely at will for any cosmetic and aesthetic reason whatsoever.

It's up to the woman. Her body, her decision. There's no point in trying to control her to suit an outside opinion.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
When I first read the post...I too thought about China and their choices. My personal belief is that I am against it. Nature has a way of making enough to go around and messing with it does not seem right and will one day prove that out. (Let alone the thought that I would not be alive because I am female....) And this does not even take into consideration any views of it being 'right to abort' or not.

But this too is IMHO.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I first read the post...I too thought about China and their choices. My personal belief is that I am against it. Nature has a way of making enough to go around and messing with it does not seem right and will one day prove that out. (Let alone the thought that I would not be alive because I am female....) And this does not even take into consideration any views of it being 'right to abort' or not.

But this too is IMHO.
Not to defend China's reprehensible policies, but they do have a massive overpopluation problem. The over abundance of men should eventually slow that problem down. One woman and a dozen men can make how many babies in a year? A dozen women and one man can make how many?

Also, some IVF patients are already choosing the sex via pre-implantation screening.

And James81, nobody is "diluting the language." Embryo is to baby as baby is to adult. It is not the same thing and should not (IMO) have the same rights.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I think China's situation shows we can't do much about it. We just have to hope it doesn't catch on here.

There's really no reason anybody needs to pick the sex of their child, though. Let's call it a luxury and slap a fat tax on it at least. :roll:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Abortion is a valid medical procedure and should be legal, imo.

But this kind of thing turns abortion into nothing more than birth control, which many hard-line pro-choice folks have been forever insisting that it's not. which, of course, lends mild support to the argument that other forms of birth control are other forms of abortion.

An ugly ruling, imo.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
And James81, nobody is "diluting the language." Embryo is to baby as baby is to adult. It is not the same thing and should not (IMO) have the same rights.

Well, the dilution comes more in the statements about the baby not being "alive." Of course it's alive...it has a heartbeat and it's growing.

When it comes to rights, does not the consitution explicitly give each of us the right to LIFE, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the dilution comes more in the statements about the baby not being "alive." Of course it's alive...it has a heartbeat and it's growing.

When it comes to rights, does not the consitution explicitly give each of us the right to LIFE, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

When you aren't a part of somebody else's body, I think you get those rights.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, each person. A fetus is not an autonomous person and thus is not protected under the constitution.

Richard

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, each person. A fetus is not an autonomous person and thus is not protected under the constitution.

Richard

Well, if you want to get technical, only MEN have those rights:

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

:D

amirite? huh? amirite?

(I'm being facetious, but if you want to get down to technicalities, there it is in black and white...written in a time when WOMEN WERE NOT ALLOWED TO VOTE OR OWN PROPERTY)

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
i'll go a step further and say that it turns into eugenics.
Not to Godwin the thread, but I think this qualifies as eugenics.
Programs by which humans are carefully selected for breeding in order to maximize certain qualities.
Of course, eugenics has a bad rep now, thanks to old mustachio. In its heyday, though, look at the list of supporters:

Margaret Sanger
H.G. Wells
Woodrow Wilson
Theodore Roosevelt
John Maynard Keynes
Winston Churchill

You know, I never learned that in high school. Strange, isn't it?

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Yes James81, but we now consider the word 'man' to apply to 'human'

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.