PDA

View Full Version : Orangutan outsmarts zoo-keepers and makes a break for it

Plot Device
05-12-2009, 02:04 AM
I guess the creature made a monkey out of the person who designed the cage.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30683811/

Wily Orangutan aborts 'ingenious' zoo escape

27-year-old female apparently on the fence about well-planned breakout

updated 12:01 p.m. ET, Mon., May 11, 2009

ADELAIDE, Australia - Despite a meticulously executed plan, an Australian orangutan was apparently on the fence about her great escape.

Officials evacuated the zoo after 27-year-old Karta short-circuited an electric fence by jamming a stick into wires connected to it. She then piled up debris to climb a concrete and glass wall.

Veterinarians stood by armed with tranquilizer guns just in case. But her run for it was short-lived. After sitting on the fence for about 30 minutes she climbed back into her enclosure.

regdog
05-12-2009, 02:10 AM
Somehow I don't think we really are the apex of evolution

William Haskins
05-12-2009, 02:13 AM
funny story, but there's absolutely nothing true in your thread title.

Orangutan outsmarts zoo-keepers and makes a break for it

not sure who she outsmarted. granted, she disabled the fence (though it's a stretch to imagine she understands electric currents and did so deliberately) but they immediately had tranq guns trained on her.

and she, in fact, never "made a break for it" as she technically never left the enclosure.

other than those two points, everything else is dead-on correct (everything else being the correct use of "and").

Williebee
05-12-2009, 03:13 AM
Speakin' as one who knows, Miss Karta, you made the right choice.

It's hard out here for a chimp.

:)

Plot Device
05-12-2009, 03:45 AM

I guess she's a lifer by choice.

C.H. Valentino
05-12-2009, 05:40 AM

Pardon the intrusion, everyone, but I have a hungry SockPuppet (o-Doom!) on my hand.....

(swallows Williebee's head) WHY DON'T I HAVE A BOOK!!!!?????? :rant:

It seems mildly insane that I am following you across cyber space, sir, to motivate you into WRITING....

.....If you have time to AW.....

.....YOU HAVE TIME TO WRITE, WILLIEBEE!!!:whip:

Thank you. That is all.

Cyia
05-12-2009, 05:51 AM
not sure who she outsmarted. granted, she disabled the fence (though it's a stretch to imagine she understands electric currents and did so deliberately) but they immediately had tranq guns trained on her.

She doesn't have to understand currents, all she had to know was that at some point a maintenance guy used a stick on the box to turn it off (like a screwdriver or other tool) and she mimicked the action.

There was a dog a few years ago who threw a dog food company into turmoil by doing something similar. He had somehow seen a box on the wall dispense the food into his cage. one of the workmen left the face panel off and the dog figured out that if he peed on it, he got fed. The other dogs were up to their necks in kibble by the time they figured out where the feeder command was coming from.

dclary
05-12-2009, 05:54 AM
funny story, but there's absolutely nothing true in your thread title.

and she, in fact, never "made a break for it" as she technically never left the enclosure.

other than those two points, everything else is dead-on correct (everything else being the correct use of "and").

Let's not forget that zookeeper is inappropriately hypenated.

William Haskins
05-12-2009, 06:06 AM
why must you be so negative, dave?

GeorgeK
05-12-2009, 06:08 AM
Let's not forget that zookeeper is inappropriately hypenated.

That's right. The Eepers of Zook (who strangely resemble orangutans) do receive too much hype.

Perks
05-12-2009, 06:38 AM
An orangutan went for a stroll in the National Zoo the day after I was there, a few years ago. Some zoologists had strung this network of ropes that the animals could use to cross a corner of the park, from one enclosure to another. It was some study of their social behavior, if I'm remembering it correctly.

I had stood at the base of one of the support towers and asked my husband why did they think that set up would contain them. We found a plaque explaining why they weren't able to get out.

As if.

Luckily, they're pretty laid back. It caused quite a ruckus.

Bird of Prey
05-12-2009, 06:44 AM
I think the zoo-keepers should be fired. Maybe they should be shot with their own tranq's. Hopefully, this article is predominantly misinformation. I mean, the "zoo" behavior here is so abhorrent as to be pretty much unrealistic.