I just found an opossum in my garbage can

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I had to get up early for school the other day, and I noticed something on my garbage can that looked like an oversized rat. When it turned to look at me I was very scared to the point when I felt like throwing a rock at it. I thought it had rabies or it's probably going to lash out and kill me.

I found out it was an opposum and he didn't want to hurt me. He just looked at me and went on with his business. I couldn't bring myself up to hurt such an innocent looking thing. I didn't have time to observe it since I was late for school.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
if he's a problem, caall your local SPCA and ask if there's someone in the area who rescues these. we had an injured one in our yard, and a very cool lady took him in and tended to him, and later returned him to the wild but in a less populated area.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
ours had managed to rip the screen off of the crawlspace vent openings under the house and had apparently been living there a while -they have an unfortunate musky scent that permeated into the house for a while. hat was interesting to discover is that cats and possums are known to cohabitate in the wild.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I once opened my trash can only to find a possum that had crawled in there and died. Maybe he had been sick and looking for a safe place to hide. I went inside to call animal control to ask if they picked up dead animals. As I picked up the phone, the phrase "playing possum" popped into my head. I went to check again.

No possum.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
We've had numerous opposums in chicken coops over the years. They ate the eggs and chicken feed but, thankfully, left the chickens alone. :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I keep a Opossum pie recipe in my kitchen window and I never see the buggers.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I keep a Opossum pie recipe in my kitchen window and I never see the buggers.

:roll:

We have possum and armadillo and moles - buggers dig up my flower bulbs, have tunnels lumping up all over the place, and have left neat piles of dirt scattered about the yard. When we've chased them off, they're more annoyed looking than scarred, they just waddle off

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
We had one literally drop into the house when the false ceiling didn't hold its weight.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I kinda like possums. It's a marsupial thing, I think. Here's a poem I wrote about one.

Course I saw that possum,
out sitting in the snow
nibbling on the apples
rotting beneath the tree.

Ten full seasons, ten
Thanksgivings now
he's been there at night
searching for something to eat.

Ten full seasons then,
the tides ebb & flow.
In the dark, another wild thing
rummages through my debris.

So yes, I saw that possum,
out sitting in the snow.
He's an ugly varmint
but a comfort to me.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
A friend live-trapped a big one in her garden and took it for a ride...it came back. I said, "Drop it off at my house, it won't come back."

It didn't. Awful lot of little bones in 'em, though, and bunny tastes better.

:D

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i hate these things.

the devil's pet.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
That happened to me once. Scared the crap out of me. Overgrown rats with those beady little eyes and creepy tails. I hate those things.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Now who would throw away a perfectly good possum? Shame on you.

Possums are cool.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can minimize opossum trash raids (and squirrels, raccoons, etc.) by using a metal trash can with a tight-fitting lid. Our trash hauler (we have to pay for garbage service here) gave us one at no cost after the second time the guy had his socks scared off by an opossum in our trash.

They're also attracted to the dropped seed from bird feeders and to the fresh stuff added to the top of compost heaps.

Like any wild creature, they can carry rabies, lice, and other diseases, but most do not. Just eliminate its access to food sources and it'll move on.

Maryn, veteran of critters displaced by suburbia

smoothseas

Life sucks... Then ya die...
Registered
Reaction score
yawn... in da land of the terminally bored.
ours had managed to rip the screen off of the crawlspace vent openings under the house and had apparently been living there a while -they have an unfortunate musky scent that permeated into the house for a while. hat was interesting to discover is that cats and possums are known to cohabitate in the wild.

musky odor? hmmmm, maybe that's what is. kinda smells like unsated kkitty passion, but we have no cat. there's a possum that come wandering around every night. and to think, he's the culprit!

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
geez what's wrong with those things? I mean, as long as those things aren't dangerous, I'm perfectly fine with those things in my yard.

Last edited:

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
I once opened my trash can only to find a possum that had crawled in there and died. Maybe he had been sick and looking for a safe place to hide. I went inside to call animal control to ask if they picked up dead animals. As I picked up the phone, the phrase "playing possum" popped into my head. I went to check again.

No possum.

What an awesome story. I think possums are cute.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I found a queen wasp building a nest in my shed today. So I gave it a good critiquing with the back of my trowel.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I tried to keep a couple of hens for eggs a few summers ago. Opossums like fresh chicken... and they're strong enough to rip the door off a well-made roost, too. Two times I replaced the chickens the opossum killed. Third time, he added insult to injury by killing both, eating most of one and leaving the other dead... before he left, he took a crap in the corner of the roost.

IOW: I got no use for the ugly things. I don't cry when I see one dead in the road.