PDA

View Full Version : I just found an opossum in my garbage can

BlueLucario
04-19-2009, 03:36 AM
I had to get up early for school the other day, and I noticed something on my garbage can that looked like an oversized rat. When it turned to look at me I was very scared to the point when I felt like throwing a rock at it. I thought it had rabies or it's probably going to lash out and kill me.

I found out it was an opposum and he didn't want to hurt me. He just looked at me and went on with his business. I couldn't bring myself up to hurt such an innocent looking thing. I didn't have time to observe it since I was late for school.

P.H.Delarran
04-19-2009, 03:47 AM
if he's a problem, caall your local SPCA and ask if there's someone in the area who rescues these. we had an injured one in our yard, and a very cool lady took him in and tended to him, and later returned him to the wild but in a less populated area.

BlueLucario
04-19-2009, 03:48 AM
He wasn't a problem. He's gone now.

Jersey Chick
04-19-2009, 03:51 AM
My husband had almost 10 years of his life scared off him by an opossum in the garbage once. I'm not sure which was one more freaked out. :D

P.H.Delarran
04-19-2009, 04:05 AM
ours had managed to rip the screen off of the crawlspace vent openings under the house and had apparently been living there a while -they have an unfortunate musky scent that permeated into the house for a while. hat was interesting to discover is that cats and possums are known to cohabitate in the wild.

rugcat
04-19-2009, 04:15 AM
I once opened my trash can only to find a possum that had crawled in there and died. Maybe he had been sick and looking for a safe place to hide. I went inside to call animal control to ask if they picked up dead animals. As I picked up the phone, the phrase "playing possum" popped into my head. I went to check again.

No possum.

Rachel
04-19-2009, 04:21 AM
We've had numerous opposums in chicken coops over the years. They ate the eggs and chicken feed but, thankfully, left the chickens alone. :)

Wayne K
04-19-2009, 04:25 AM
I keep a Opossum pie recipe in my kitchen window and I never see the buggers.

LaurieD
04-19-2009, 04:32 AM
I keep a Opossum pie recipe in my kitchen window and I never see the buggers.

:roll:

We have possum and armadillo and moles - buggers dig up my flower bulbs, have tunnels lumping up all over the place, and have left neat piles of dirt scattered about the yard. When we've chased them off, they're more annoyed looking than scarred, they just waddle off

Susie
04-19-2009, 05:02 AM
Wayne, too funny! Glad your opposum went away, Blue.

Komnena
04-19-2009, 05:04 AM
We had one literally drop into the house when the false ceiling didn't hold its weight.

Pagey's_Girl
04-19-2009, 05:27 AM
I used to see the same possum on the porch just about every night - I named him Rupert. He was a cutie. :)

Magdalen
04-19-2009, 05:32 AM
I kinda like possums. It's a marsupial thing, I think. Here's a poem I wrote about one.

Course I saw that possum,
out sitting in the snow
nibbling on the apples
rotting beneath the tree.

Ten full seasons, ten
Thanksgivings now
he's been there at night
searching for something to eat.

Ten full seasons then,
the tides ebb & flow.
In the dark, another wild thing
rummages through my debris.

So yes, I saw that possum,
out sitting in the snow.
He's an ugly varmint
but a comfort to me.

Matera the Mad
04-19-2009, 05:33 AM
A friend live-trapped a big one in her garden and took it for a ride...it came back. I said, "Drop it off at my house, it won't come back."

It didn't. Awful lot of little bones in 'em, though, and bunny tastes better.

:D

Bravo
04-19-2009, 05:33 AM
i hate these things.

the devil's pet.

Grrarrgh
04-19-2009, 06:10 AM
That happened to me once. Scared the crap out of me. Overgrown rats with those beady little eyes and creepy tails. I hate those things.

Joe270
04-19-2009, 06:38 AM
Now who would throw away a perfectly good possum? Shame on you.

Possums are cool.

Wayne K
04-19-2009, 06:39 AM
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1937,151160-235199,00.html

Maryn
04-19-2009, 06:32 PM
You can minimize opossum trash raids (and squirrels, raccoons, etc.) by using a metal trash can with a tight-fitting lid. Our trash hauler (we have to pay for garbage service here) gave us one at no cost after the second time the guy had his socks scared off by an opossum in our trash.

They're also attracted to the dropped seed from bird feeders and to the fresh stuff added to the top of compost heaps.

Like any wild creature, they can carry rabies, lice, and other diseases, but most do not. Just eliminate its access to food sources and it'll move on.

Maryn, veteran of critters displaced by suburbia

smoothseas
04-19-2009, 06:59 PM
ours had managed to rip the screen off of the crawlspace vent openings under the house and had apparently been living there a while -they have an unfortunate musky scent that permeated into the house for a while. hat was interesting to discover is that cats and possums are known to cohabitate in the wild.

musky odor? hmmmm, maybe that's what is. kinda smells like unsated kkitty passion, but we have no cat. there's a possum that come wandering around every night. and to think, he's the culprit!

BlueLucario
04-19-2009, 10:22 PM
geez what's wrong with those things? I mean, as long as those things aren't dangerous, I'm perfectly fine with those things in my yard.

dgrintalis
04-19-2009, 10:30 PM
I once opened my trash can only to find a possum that had crawled in there and died. Maybe he had been sick and looking for a safe place to hide. I went inside to call animal control to ask if they picked up dead animals. As I picked up the phone, the phrase "playing possum" popped into my head. I went to check again.

No possum.

What an awesome story. I think possums are cute.

BradyH1861
04-20-2009, 12:04 AM
There is one that comes around my yard about once a week. I call him Boudreaux. I think he eats the cat food that my neighbor leaves out.

Priene
04-20-2009, 12:35 AM
I found a queen wasp building a nest in my shed today. So I gave it a good critiquing with the back of my trowel.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-20-2009, 02:46 AM
I tried to keep a couple of hens for eggs a few summers ago. Opossums like fresh chicken... and they're strong enough to rip the door off a well-made roost, too. Two times I replaced the chickens the opossum killed. Third time, he added insult to injury by killing both, eating most of one and leaving the other dead... before he left, he took a crap in the corner of the roost.

IOW: I got no use for the ugly things. I don't cry when I see one dead in the road.

Rachel
04-20-2009, 02:50 AM
Really?

Our visitor never ate our chickens. Maybe he/she was scared of their numbers... a good dozen of them at least. All clucking and throwing a fit. :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-20-2009, 02:58 AM
Yup. Really. :) We never had but two at a time and they were young, so I'm sure that had something to do with the mass carnage.

Rachel
04-20-2009, 03:00 AM
However... we did have crows make off with our chicks. :D

BlueLucario
04-27-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't get what's so bad about opposums. I don't mind having the little guy around as long as he isn't dangerous.

tjwriter
04-27-2009, 07:07 PM
I think it's more because they tend to be a nuisance animal more than anything.

We had a baby one make it into our house one time. Hubs and I were napping on the couch when the dog started making a racket. He'd cornered it between the microwave cart and the wall, but couldn't get to it. The husband got some thick gloves and picked it up where it promptly played dead. He took it outside and placed it in the wedge of tree. It was gone a little while later.

When we worked thirds, we'd get home as the sun was coming up. Almost every morning, you could stand in the computer room and watch this big, fat one waddle up past the trucks and along the side of the house to where it went to sleep during the day.

One night I was studying in the computer room. Now, I have this mutant talent for knowing all the dogs in the neighborhood by bark. So, I'm trying to study and the dog across the way keeps barking. I go outside and she's cornered a momma possum and her babies in a way that she can't get to them, but they can't escape. I'm holding the dog, while coaxing the momma out of her hiding hole. As she's walking off, babies are dropping off left and right. I forgot what exactly I did, but I believe it was shuffling my feet a certain way in the gravel to get the babies to follow over near a tree where the momma disappeared. They kept hearing the dog and going back that way, but I eventually got them over there. A little while later I checked, and no momma, no babies.

BlueLucario
04-27-2009, 07:15 PM
I think it's more because they tend to be a nuisance animal more than anything.

We had a baby one make it into our house one time. Hubs and I were napping on the couch when the dog started making a racket. He'd cornered it between the microwave cart and the wall, but couldn't get to it. The husband got some thick gloves and picked it up where it promptly played dead. He took it outside and placed it in the wedge of tree. It was gone a little while later.

When we worked thirds, we'd get home as the sun was coming up. Almost every morning, you could stand in the computer room and watch this big, fat one waddle up past the trucks and along the side of the house to where it went to sleep during the day.

One night I was studying in the computer room. Now, I have this mutant talent for knowing all the dogs in the neighborhood by bark. So, I'm trying to study and the dog across the way keeps barking. I go outside and she's cornered a momma possum and her babies in a way that she can't get to them, but they can't escape. I'm holding the dog, while coaxing the momma out of her hiding hole. As she's walking off, babies are dropping off left and right. I forgot what exactly I did, but I believe it was shuffling my feet a certain way in the gravel to get the babies to follow over near a tree where the momma disappeared. They kept hearing the dog and going back that way, but I eventually got them over there. A little while later I checked, and no momma, no babies.

So it's because neighborhood dogs tend to bark at it?

CaroGirl
04-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Neat. We don't have opossums here. I admit to never having seen one except at the zoo or in a movie. We do have groundhogs, skunks, porcupines and raccoons, not to mention about six varieties of squirrel (okay three, but it feels like six). My house backs onto woods and nature trails. Every day we see some combination of the above, including rather brazen deer that don't run when we go out onto the deck to snap photos of them.

I have never found them in the trash can, but once when we left the door open over night the raccoons had a garbage party in our garage.

tjwriter
04-27-2009, 07:38 PM
So it's because neighborhood dogs tend to bark at it?

No, I was just sharing some of my stories.

By nuisance animal, I mean that they get into garbage, mess with people's things, sneak into chicken coops and stuff as shown by other's stories. They just tend to aggravate and frustrate people by the nature of the animals that they are.

BlueLucario
04-27-2009, 08:12 PM
No, I was just sharing some of my stories.

By nuisance animal, I mean that they get into garbage, mess with people's things, sneak into chicken coops and stuff as shown by other's stories. They just tend to aggravate and frustrate people by the nature of the animals that they are.
Sorry. It's just that I've never seen an oppossum before until that day.

NeuroFizz
04-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Saw another one on the road this morning (actually, part of the road). I see a new one every couple of days. It seems they are the North Carolina version of armadillos.