PDA

View Full Version : Mac's new thread (test post)

Bayou Bill
02-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Per your request.

Bayou Bill :cool:

MacAllister
02-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Excellent! Thanks. :)

Joe270
02-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Testing, testing.

Don
02-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Mac's got new threads?

Is she gonna model?

Are we supposed to oogle?

I dunno about this whole 'Mac as sex object' thing. I thought we were supposed to admire her for her mind.

darkprincealain
03-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Isn't there room for both?

P.S. Gay man doesn't know what he's talking about. Carry on.

MacAllister
03-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Good lord people. Wasn't there any actual, y'know, news today for you to talk about?

Joe270
03-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Writers, Mac. All we need is a prompt, and an empty one is sooooo tempting.

I remember some troll we had a while back who said he was so great because he could start threads which got a hundred or two posts on them.

Pfffft, so? We have threads which have nothing of substance in the OP which have thousands of posts.

There's no telling how far this test thread will go.

Of course, we could fire it up a bit.

Rob can fart the national anthem. Really, he can.

Keyan
03-01-2009, 02:55 PM

Which one?

Don
03-01-2009, 05:18 PM

I remember some troll we had a while back who said he was so great because he could start threads which got a hundred or two posts on them.

Pfffft, so? We have threads which have nothing of substance in the OP which have thousands of posts.

There's no telling how far this test thread will go.

Of course, we could fire it up a bit.

Which one?
And in which key?

And when's Mac coming by to model those new threads?

:D

Komnena
03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Is this going to be another of those unkillable threads?

Don
03-01-2009, 09:00 PM
P&CE didn't have one already, did it? :D

Bartholomew
03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
What were we testing, if I may be so bold as to re-rail the thread? :)

Haggis
03-01-2009, 09:08 PM
No one said anything about there being a test. I haven't had the chance to study. :(

Williebee
03-01-2009, 09:39 PM
"Mac's new threads"

Oooo, don't suppose this is one of those "Emperor's got no clothes" on things?

by all means, model away. :)

Komnena
03-01-2009, 09:53 PM
What are we being tested on? Please tell me it's Thoroughbred history.

cethklein
03-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Good lord people. Wasn't there any actual, y'know, news today for you to talk about?

Yeah, this topic. That's news.:D

Beach Bunny
03-02-2009, 02:01 AM
What is this "news" you speak of? I thought P&CE was for beating dead horses and rehashing old arguments.

By the way, nice threads. Who's the designer?

CACTUSWENDY
03-02-2009, 02:16 AM
Am I allowed to bring in the popcorn? Is it going to be an open book test? Do we have to wear anything special? (Wonders how to make a cheat sheet...)

Keep me posted....

Don Allen
03-02-2009, 02:31 AM
Testing, testing.

Is this still a test or can me and Joe argue yet.....let me know...

Gravity
03-02-2009, 03:03 AM
Testes, testes, one and two...

robeiae
03-02-2009, 03:06 AM
Testes, testes, one and two...
That's one more than usual, no?

vixey
03-02-2009, 03:18 AM
So is this about testes or a new dress? Either way, I'm in. :D

Don
03-02-2009, 03:36 AM
Note: this is a test thread. Actual discussions of substance should not occur in this thread. Only test arguments not specific to any real topic should be tested in this thread.

So I guess this is where the 'your momma wears army boots' stuff and anything based on Godwin goes. :D

Beach Bunny
03-02-2009, 06:21 AM
Note: this is a test thread. Actual discussions of substance should not occur in this thread. Only test arguments not specific to any real topic should be tested in this thread.

So I guess this is where the 'your momma wears army boots' stuff and anything based on Godwin goes. :D

Don, you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny. :e2tongue:

Seaclusion
03-02-2009, 06:25 AM

No, it's you look funny and your mother dreses you ugly.

Richard

Beach Bunny
03-02-2009, 06:29 AM
No, it's you look funny and your mother dreses you ugly.

Richard
You got a reference for that? :box:

Bayou Bill
03-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think....

For verification, just check my test results.

Don
03-02-2009, 06:44 AM
You're just acting out because I'm already taken. :e2tongue:

robeiae
03-02-2009, 06:46 AM
You're just acting out because I'm already taken. :e2tongue:
"Taken out to be shot," maybe.

Komnena
03-02-2009, 07:33 AM
"Taken out to be shot," maybe.

Is that what happens if we fail the mysterious test?

Joe270
03-02-2009, 12:46 PM

Hell, yes, we can argue about it. So we need to understand what we're arguing about.

We could go with:

Pro: This thread is all about Mac having some new clothing, which might be imaginary clothing so she's parading around nekkid and everyone is happy as larks to let her do so.

Con: No, she's not naked, and even if she was, this is an internet forum, so who can know who's naked when anyway? It's just a thread test.

Pick a side, Don, and I'll take the other one.

Or we could find some conspiracy theory in this to debate, too. I'm open to suggestions.

Komnena
03-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Perhaps it is a conspiracy to distract us from discussions of serious issues, such as the price of eggs in China.

HeronW
03-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Threads always conspire...think, the way they wind about each other and insinuate themselves into our clothing, our carpets, our vehicles, old book bindings, even our money! Threads will take over the world!

Don
03-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Perhaps it is a conspiracy to distract us from discussions of serious issues, such as the price of eggs in China.
I thought it was the price of tea in China.

Isn't it interesting, though, that all this time, when we thought America would always be the preeminent marketbasket of the world, that the true masters, ages ago, got us conditioned to think about... the price of tea in China.

See, the Globalization = Chinese hedgemony conspiracy theory was true all along!

You were right. You've discovered a conspiracy in this very thread. :eek:

James81
03-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Anybody know where I can find some PHENTERMINE?

Komnena
03-02-2009, 08:55 PM
What does Phentermine have to do with prices in China? Are you trying to distract us from discussing the price of thread in China?

Don
03-02-2009, 09:46 PM
I heard China's cornered the market.

Joe270
03-02-2009, 11:51 PM

The price of eggs in China is on the rise, but the underlying cause is the inclusion of melamine in the chicken feed.

Meanwhile, the price of melamine in China is skyrocketing. Simple supply and demand problem there.

Williebee
03-02-2009, 11:54 PM

hey buddy, I got your phentermine.

Wait, that would make it phenter-yours, which I think actually puts weight ON you.

Not to be confused with sphincter-yours which is... oh, never mind.

Joe270
03-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I got nothin', but since this is a test thread, I'm testing to see if I can post in here now.

It's a long story.

Komnena
03-04-2009, 04:56 AM
I took Phentermine and now furry creatures are crawling both on me and the keyboard.

Don
03-04-2009, 05:24 AM
I took Phentermine and now furry creatures are crawling both on me and the keyboard.
Those are LOLCats.

Joe270
03-04-2009, 06:45 AM
We're supposed to be arguing about something, aren't we, Don?

Bayou Bill
03-04-2009, 06:48 AM
You two, most definitely, are NOT!

Medievalist
03-04-2009, 07:12 AM

You want I should start a fight?

'Cause I got a question . . .

You're in a city you've not been to before.

You pick a bar at random.

What do you order to drink? Why?

Do you have a "safe" drink--one that's pretty hard to mess up?

Williebee
03-04-2009, 07:13 AM
(good) Bourbon, neat. Same as anywhere else.

And, I'm not sure what it says about us that this thread is on its way to page 4.

robeiae
03-04-2009, 07:15 AM
You want I should start a fight?

'Cause I got a question . . .

You're in a city you've not been to before.

You pick a bar at random.

What do you order to drink? Why?
If the bartender is female, I say:

"I could use a stiff one. How 'bout you?"

Medievalist
03-04-2009, 07:28 AM
(good) Bourbon, neat. Same as anywhere else.

And, I'm not sure what it says about us that this thread is on its way to page 4.

Define "good"--I'm sorta devoted to Makers Mark, but I've been trying others.

Neat means straight up, not on the rocks, right?

Medievalist
03-04-2009, 07:29 AM
If the bartender is female, I say:

"I could use a stiff one. How 'bout you?"

Bzzzzzzzttttt.

Fail.

robeiae
03-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Bzzzzzzzttttt.

Fail.
Yeah, that's the usual response.

But what I would actually order to drink is single malt scotch. As is my wont.

Williebee
03-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Neat means straight up, yes'm.

Allow me to recommend Woodford Reserve (http://www.woodfordreserve.com/age.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx) to you. A couple steps up from MM,imo.

My preferred method is neat, with water on the side. I'm told it is an old fashioned, "bourbon snob", way to drink. I can live with that. More to the point, I'll sip a double shot all night, and come out ahead in taste -- with no "morning pain management".

robeiae
03-04-2009, 07:35 AM
But you know, since this is Mac's thread, we should really all order a:

Neo-Marxist Up Against a Wall (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=686759&postcount=534)

Williebee
03-04-2009, 07:39 AM
And it's got juice! You know, vitamins.. and stuff.

Don Allen
03-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Hell, yes, we can argue about it. So we need to understand what we're arguing about.

We could go with:

Pro: This thread is all about Mac having some new clothing, which might be imaginary clothing so she's parading around nekkid and everyone is happy as larks to let her do so.

Con: No, she's not naked, and even if she was, this is an internet forum, so who can know who's naked when anyway? It's just a thread test.

Pick a side, Don, and I'll take the other one.

Or we could find some conspiracy theory in this to debate, too. I'm open to suggestions.

Man!!! I bet i missed out on a good fight, damn computer has been out of whack for three days....

Don Allen
03-04-2009, 07:56 AM

I started to argue and my computer broke, hmmmmm, maybe it's trying to tell me something,,, we could just say screw it, hit the drunk thread and talk about chicks....Damn computer's runner quicker as I type.....

Komnena
03-04-2009, 08:19 AM
What is so interesting about little chickens?

robeiae
03-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Don and Joe can outwit them.

Most of the time.

Medievalist
03-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Yeah, that's the usual response.

But what I would actually order to drink is single malt scotch. As is my wont.

Now, see, as a Celticist, I am professionally obligated to like Single Malts. When we have a conference--there are generally only two academic conferences for Celticists a year so it's a Big Deal--the folk from the UK bring "special" single malts. I've tried a lot--including things like cask aged 18 and 21 year old "special" malts And varieties of Jameson and Bushmills that are only very rarely obtainable outside of Ireland.

I really really do try; I sip and I swallow and then there's this deep reflexive automatic shudder, very much like a horse with a deer fly.

I'm thinking maybe I need to find a "starter" single malt.

In all honesty, there's this thing about academic socialization with Celticists where I do need to be able to at least enjoy sipping it.

robeiae
03-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Now, see, as a Celticist, I am professionally obligated to like Single Malts. When we have a conference--there are generally only two academic conferences for Celticists a year so it's a Big Deal--the folk from the UK bring "special" single malts. I've tried a lot--including things like cask aged 18 and 21 year old "special" malts.

I really really do try; I sip and I swallow and then there's this deep reflexive automatic shudder, very much like a horse with a deer fly.

I'm thinking maybe I need to find a "starter" single malt. In all honesty, there's this thing about academic socialization with Celticists where I do need to be able to at least enjoy sipping it.
I'll recommend the same thing I recommended to Mac (to wean her off that Maker's Mark cooking bourbon crap):

Knappogue Castle (http://www.knappoguewhiskey.com/)

It's a single malt, Irish, easy to drink, and makes you appear aloof.

Medievalist
03-04-2009, 08:34 AM
But you know, since this is Mac's thread, we should really all order a:

Neo-Marxist Up Against a Wall (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=686759&postcount=534)

Heh.

MacCannister's tipple is Maker's Mark, on the rocks.

Which, I gotta say, I like. A lot. I also like Elijah Craig (http://poisonofchoice.com/2009/02/14/elijah-craig-kentucky-straight-bourbon-whiskey/), but Maker's is still my bourbon of choice. There are things I won't drink (http://poisonofchoice.com/2009/02/17/things-that-really-should-not-be-drunk/).

Lately, I'm exploring martinis, of the traditional gin vs the vodka variety.

Medievalist
03-04-2009, 08:38 AM
I'll recommend the same thing I recommended to Mac (to wean her off that Maker's Mark cooking bourbon crap):

Knappogue Castle (http://www.knappoguewhiskey.com/)

It's a single malt, Irish, easy to drink, and makes you appear aloof.

Noted, and I shall look for it locally.

Medievalist
03-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Neat means straight up, yes'm.

Allow me to recommend Woodford Reserve (http://www.woodfordreserve.com/age.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx) to you. A couple steps up from MM,imo.

Noted. I shall look for it ASAP.

Bourbon neat . . . not there yet. I do like it on the rocks though.

Haggis
03-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Sadly I can no longer deal with bourbon. I ODd on it when I was a puppy. But I wonder if a drop or small dollop of water plopped into a premo bourbon or Irish whiskey might not bring out the flavor as it does with scotch.

Cranky
03-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Mmmmm. Liquor.

Joe270
03-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Man!!! I bet i missed out on a good fight, damn computer has been out of whack for three days....

We can find a topic to debate later, there's booze in the thread.

Sadly I can no longer deal with bourbon. I ODd on it when I was a puppy.

I did the same with tequila. No more shots for me, but I'll drink a 'rita when it's hot. That's probably the main reason I moved to Vegas, it's hot here a lot.

What would I order? A draft beer, depending on what they have. One, it's simple. Two, it doesn't say anything about you in a strange bar. Three, the beer mug might come in handy if you stepped into the wrong place.

I heard a comedian, guy never made it big but he was hilarious, who talked about walking into a bar in Oklahoma while he was on tour. He had a beer, and the barkeep asked him what sorta work he was doing in Oklahoma. He replied that he was working at the comedy club downtown. The bartender replied:

"Comedy club? Comedy club? We got us a comedy club righ' cheer. See that stick over the bar? We're gonna beat you silly with it and laugh our asses off."

Medievalist
03-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Sadly I can no longer deal with bourbon. I ODd on it when I was a puppy. But I wonder if a drop or small dollop of water plopped into a premo bourbon or Irish whiskey might not bring out the flavor as it does with scotch.

Now, see, if I mention scotch-on-the-rocks, or adding a splash of soda to a single malt to my fellow Celticists, I will be at the very least pilloried, but more likely, will be immediately condemned to a wicker man (http://copycateffect.blogspot.com/2009/01/wicker-man-burns.html).

MacAllister
03-04-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't drink tequila shooters anymore, either, Joe. I was just too damned unpredictable.

Medievalist
03-04-2009, 09:11 AM
What would I order? A draft beer, depending on what they have. One, it's simple. Two, it doesn't say anything about you in a strange bar. Three, the beer mug might come in handy if you stepped into the wrong place.

Now, see, that's interesting.

When I first go to a bar, I tend to start with a draft beer--especially if there's something local on tap.

But.

Can you elaborate on the "Two, it doesn't say anything about you in a strange bar"?

I notice that I get looks when I order a Makers on the rocks. What am I saying?

What do drink orders say?

Don Allen
03-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Don and Joe can outwit them.

Most of the time.

Joseph,,,,,, did you see this from Robvowels....... our friend???????

This could get ugly...

Joe270
03-04-2009, 09:52 AM
I notice that I get looks when I order a Makers on the rocks. What am I saying?

What do drink orders say?

What does the car you drive say about you? It's probably mostly stupid generalizations, but people do make assumptions. Lots of folks say they hate Hummer drivers, but I imagine they actually know none of them.

Joseph,,,,,, did you see this from Robvowels....... our friend???????

This could get ugly...

It always is, if you're looking at Rob. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Komnena
03-07-2009, 12:20 AM
What do wicker men drink?

stormie
03-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Is this going to be another of those unkillable threads?
Nope. I'm here. I kill threads fast.

Williebee
03-07-2009, 12:39 AM
What do wicker men drink?

Doesn't matter, as long as it isn't flammable, and comes in large barrels.

Bayou Bill
03-07-2009, 03:54 AM
Thought some of you Scotch-heads might enjoy this Wall Street Journal article about blended Scotch: What To Down In A Down Market. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122367117616623959.html

Williebee
03-07-2009, 05:44 AM
A $2,000 bottle of single malt scotch?

Ah, now there's to better days.

robeiae
03-07-2009, 05:47 AM
Anyone buying that Scotch using bailout money needs to be shot...and the Scotch sent to me.

Chumplet
03-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Thought some of you Scotch-heads might enjoy this Wall Street Journal article about blended Scotch: What To Down In A Down Market. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122367117616623959.html

He didn't like the Grants, but I wonder if he tried the one aged in sherry casks? I like that one.

If you want smooth, try Centennial Canadian Rye Whisky. No 'shudder' required, even neat. Mmmm... I think I'll go have a snort right now.

Medievalist
03-07-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm about to engage in a cautious exploration of American rye.

Bayou Bill
03-07-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm about to engage in a cautious exploration of American rye.
Be sure to sample some, Old Overholt Straight Rye Whiskey. That's not a recommendation, you understand, just a suggestion.

Chumplet
03-07-2009, 08:32 PM
I didn't know American Rye existed.

Komnena
03-10-2009, 03:22 AM
Bye bye Miss American Rye.