PDA

View Full Version : Obama tells Ottawa Cookie Man, "You GOTTA take my money".

KTC
02-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Yes. That's right. Obama said GOTTA. (-;

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/media/ALeqM5gjFqNJlmdTm91Zi_sxM80T1bZMlA?size=m Here he is trying to pay for a Maple Leaf cookie. The vendor refused his money.

More Photos (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iVBF5dRy6xO0H7RuThlYgSZsPxsAD96ET9CO0)

And another article (http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theappetizer/archive/2009/02/19/barack-obama-s-canadian-souvenirs-maple-leaf-cookies-and-beavertail.aspx)

An employee of a BeaverTails booth was asked to come around the corner with a secret service man to present Obama with a BeaverTail. (-;

Click this link to see the slideshow at the White House page...BeaverTail included (http://www.whitehouse.gov/photogallery/working-with-canada/)

Inky
02-20-2009, 03:22 PM
You gotta give the guy a break.
You gotta understand, he's human, not the body-snatcher pod-man that Bush was.

You gotta read your reps and please get back to me :e2tongue:

*moves face closer to monitor*

Or I'z culd stalk u wiff really bad spellink, grammar, and pictchures that will maek yur eyes screeeme :ROFL:

KTC
02-20-2009, 03:24 PM

Or I'z culd stalk u wiff really bad spellink, grammar, and pictchures that will maek yur eyes screeeme :ROFL:

Hey...I'm an Obama fan. A huge one. I just love the fact that he said GOTTA. And, hey, what the hell is he going to do with that Canadian twenty now???

KTC
02-20-2009, 03:24 PM

PS. Sorry. I read my reps about once a month. I am a Canadian living in Canada. Is that the answer?

rhymegirl
02-20-2009, 03:25 PM
I gotta go drink my coffee. It's too early.

KTC
02-20-2009, 03:27 PM
I gotta go drink my coffee. It's too early.

Here...have a BeaverTail with that.

Haggis
02-20-2009, 03:27 PM
He said, "gotta?"

Shameful.

Country's goin' down the tubes, I tell ya.

KTC
02-20-2009, 03:29 PM
http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/799px-BeaverTail_pastry_Ottawa.jpg

KTC
02-20-2009, 03:29 PM
He said, "gotta?"

Shameful.

Country's goin' down the tubes, I tell ya.

Don't get serious. Gawd, Haggis. Gawd.

rhymegirl
02-20-2009, 03:31 PM
What does a Beaver tail taste like?

KTC
02-20-2009, 03:33 PM

Oh my. I just had 47 comebacks pop into my head. (-;

Here's a real explanation: BEAVERTAIL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_tail_(pastry)) (It's a pastry)

ETA: That wiki link is already updated with yesterday's Obama visit! Holy!

Angie
02-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Beaver tails look like they'd go great with coffee.

I never thought I'd utter those words. O.o

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/mymotherwasahamster/coffee-1.jpg

KTC
02-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Beaver tails look like they'd go great with coffee.

I never thought I'd utter those words. O.o

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/mymotherwasahamster/coffee-1.jpg

They are perfect with coffee. Made for coffee. The Obama Tail is even better. Chocolate 'O's. Yum.

Wayne K
02-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Just like chicken!

Inky
02-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey...I'm an Obama fan. A huge one. I just love the fact that he said GOTTA. And, hey, what the hell is he going to do with that Canadian twenty now???
Just had to razz you. As for the 20.00--add it to the scrapbook?

Oh my. I just had 47 comebacks pop into my head. (-;

Here's a real explanation: BEAVERTAIL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_tail_(pastry)) (It's a pastry)

ETA: That wiki link is already updated with yesterday's Obama visit! Holy!
Figures it would have to be NOW that Mac demands a clean-up of her boards.
*shudders and twitches, the restraint causing major pain, all the potential dastardly comments that could follow this particular post*

'course, my fave is that: Beavertail's go great with coffee...THAT made me spew my tea.
Sorry.
I tried to read it like a normal person.
I failed.
I'm so ashamed.
*holds out hand to Haggis*
I 'spose you will use the ruler again?

Inky
02-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Just like chicken!
No.He.Di'ent!

Well...
there goes the keyboard....monitor....my nose...can't...breathe...tea is EVERYWHERE!!

*mops chin, shirt, lap*

gads...can't stop laughing....

Haggis
02-20-2009, 03:48 PM
*holds out hand to Haggis*
I 'spose you will use the ruler again?

http://pro.corbis.com/images/CB043576.jpg?size=572&uid=%7BCF07CDB4-0F66-4ABB-9C27-08973B46AAA1%7D

Don Allen
02-20-2009, 03:52 PM

I know you don't want me to answer this...... quick move thread to erotica.......

lkp
02-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Cool. I've eaten those beavertails; they're yum. Maybe Obama will start a franchise here in Hyde Park when he stops being president. Thanks for the photo, KTC, from an ex-pat Canadian.

KTC
02-20-2009, 08:29 PM
I know you don't want me to answer this...... quick move thread to erotica.......

shhhh. You mock a national institution. the beaver tail is offended.

CaroGirl
02-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Obama in Ottawa. Great for morale, terrible for traffic. I waited for an hour to get home from work (in downtown Ottawa) for a bus that never came. Rerouted because of da Bomma. He was only here for the day right? Right?!

Mmm. Beaver Tail. Maybe I'll head down to the Market for an Obama Tail this afternoon. I haven't tried it. I hear it has whipped cream.

maestrowork
02-20-2009, 08:55 PM
...for an Obama Tail this afternoon. I haven't tried it. I hear it has whipped cream.

:e2zipped: Mmmm-hmmmm-mmmmm....

CaroGirl
02-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Dirty boy.

writerterri
02-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Git'er done.

rhymegirl
02-20-2009, 09:32 PM

I was honestly and seriously asking Kevin what the product he posted a picture of tasted like.

You must have a dirty mind.

Inky
02-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Git'er done.

I was honestly and seriously asking Kevin what the product he posted a picture of tasted like.

You must have a dirty mind.

*twitches from restraint....graduates to full on seizure!*

Don Allen
02-21-2009, 12:08 AM
shhhh. You mock a national institution. the beaver tail is offended.

Sorry K. I drove truck in both Canada and the US, the common language of the truck driver in both country's was to be on the look out for a good Beaver check, I think it takes precident....

Don Allen
02-21-2009, 12:10 AM
What is funny though, is that your basic Canadian Beaver Tail, is pretty much the same as an American Elephant Ear,,,, wh'd of thunk...

KTC
02-21-2009, 12:19 AM
must be named after all the elephants roaming the states, just as the beaver tail is named after all the beaver roaming the provinces.

Angie
02-21-2009, 12:30 AM
must be named after all the elephants roaming the states, just as the beaver tail is named after all the beaver roaming the provinces.

:eek:

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/mymotherwasahamster/beaver_castor_canadensis_imagelarge.jpg

rhymegirl
02-21-2009, 12:38 AM
:eek:

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/mymotherwasahamster/beaver_castor_canadensis_imagelarge.jpg

I think I might use that pic as my avatar.

KTC
02-21-2009, 02:10 AM
If you hit those puppies with your car it makes a hell of a thump.

Angie
02-21-2009, 05:07 AM
So do these.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/mymotherwasahamster/opossum.jpg

maestrowork
02-21-2009, 05:34 AM
So do these.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/mymotherwasahamster/opossum.jpg

Is that a ferret?

Angie
02-21-2009, 05:37 AM
Is that a ferret?

Nope. An opossum. I haven't, to my knowledge, run over a ferret yet. :D

Alan Yee
02-21-2009, 05:42 AM
I occasionally see dead opossums along the side of the road. Roadkill.

KTC
02-21-2009, 05:44 AM
I occasionally see dead opossums along the side of the road. Roadkill.

I love how that post ended. dead opposums. roadside. roadkill. it just made sense.

CanadianGirl
02-21-2009, 05:59 AM
Hi all. Just joined AW, but been reading posts for few weeks now. Wanted to chime in as a Canadian living in Ontario and say I have no clue what these "beaver tail" things are, but they look kinda cinnamony and sugary. Is that right?

Chumplet
02-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Yes they are, CanadianGirl.

Now those Canada cookies are flying off the shelves. The owner says he has 6000 ordered for next week.

Also, an aide bought one of those kitchy snow globes because Obama collects them.

Judg
02-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Obama in Ottawa. Great for morale, terrible for traffic. I waited for an hour to get home from work (in downtown Ottawa) for a bus that never came. Rerouted because of da Bomma. He was only here for the day right? Right?!

Mmm. Beaver Tail. Maybe I'll head down to the Market for an Obama Tail this afternoon. I haven't tried it. I hear it has whipped cream.
Caro, I didn't even go downtown and my bus got delayed too. I was caught underdressed on a very windy street. Finally another woman and I split a cab. I shivered for two hours, I was so chilled. I was dressed just fine until the wind came up. And I didn't expect to have to stand in it without moving for 3/4 of an hour. (I had two whopping big bags of groceries, so walking around wasn't really an option.)

Next time I'll know to stay home altogether.

Judg
02-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Beaver tails, like elephant ears, are a deep-fried sweet dough, like doughnuts except flat. They can be sprinkled with cinnamon or icing sugar or whatever, or even salted.

Medievalist
02-21-2009, 08:55 AM
I have to admit, I like Tim Horton's coffee and doughnuts.

And I like poutine.

Angie
02-21-2009, 04:54 PM
*Googles poutine*

That looks like a bellyache waiting to happen. :eek:

Judg
02-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Medievalist, nooooooooooooooooo. Not Tim Horton's coffee...

They've turned into some kind of litmus test for patriotism and I'm not at all impressed with it.

I llived for many years just down the road from where poutine was invented and they truly did make it better there. Fresh cheese curds made the same day are key. But I don't eat the stuff anymore. My stomach has finally started complaining about anything excessively greasy, which is all for the better, I suppose.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
02-21-2009, 07:18 PM
I <3 poutines. And Tim Horton's ice caps. Mmmmm.

Judg
02-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Yeah, the icecaps are good. But I discovered them in a cool little coffee shop the year before Timmie's came out with them. It was made with real coffee and your choice of syrup and thrown into a blender with the ice as you watched. So while I like Timmie's version, it never seems like the "real thing".

M.R.J. Le Blanc
02-21-2009, 07:34 PM
It's caffine and it works for me lol. What's the coffee shop though? Might they have other locations? I'm always up to checking out new little shops.

Judg
02-21-2009, 07:39 PM
It was a Quebec chain. Something Van Houtte. I forget now. I don't think they have locations elsewhere, although you can buy the coffee at the supermarket, at least here in Ottawa.

I've tried making them at home, but you really need an industrial blender to crush the ice properly. Or you just call it granita and leave it at that. ;)

CanadianGirl
02-21-2009, 07:49 PM
It hardly sounds patriotically Canadian - and I get many quizical looks when I say this - but I don't like Tim Horton's coffee, but I do like everything else they serve.;)

Judg
02-21-2009, 07:53 PM
CG, a group of us once had a Starbucks vs. Tim Horton's debate that went on for two hours! It was totally ridiculous, but we had fun. At the end we were laughing just because we kept thinking of things to say.

CanadianGirl
02-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Judg, sounds like it would have been fun - but I think I'd rather participate in a wine or chocolate-tasting event - you get one of those and let me know, I'm all for wine and chocolate.:D

KTC
02-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Judg...I don't like Tim's coffee either. I'm still convinced it's not coffee. I'm at the drivethru at 5am and 4pm EVERY SINGLE WEEKDAY, though. I think the funny after-taste of their coffee is the secret addictive ingredient. If you think I'm kidding, I'm not.

KTC
02-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Caro, I didn't even go downtown and my bus got delayed too. I was caught underdressed on a very windy street. Finally another woman and I split a cab. I shivered for two hours, I was so chilled. I was dressed just fine until the wind came up. And I didn't expect to have to stand in it without moving for 3/4 of an hour. (I had two whopping big bags of groceries, so walking around wasn't really an option.)

Next time I'll know to stay home altogether.

Geesh! You Ottawanians (Don't know what they actually call ya?) get put out so easily. I was on my way to a Leafs game downtown one day a few years ago and Nelson Mandella was at the front of his hotel, either getting into or out of his car, and I swear I waited more than 2 hours. I think it was worth it, though...my daughter got to wave to him and he waved back. Of course, I merely screamed at her to get back in the bloody car! (-;

rhymegirl
02-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Beaver tails, like elephant ears, are a deep-fried sweet dough, like doughnuts except flat. They can be sprinkled with cinnamon or icing sugar or whatever, or even salted.

Now see. Someone answered my question.

I wanted to know what beavertails taste like.

Thank you!

KTC
02-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Now see. Someone answered my question.

I wanted to know what beavertails taste like.

Thank you!

I answered your question. I gave you a link to go to...they explained them fully in the link. Geesh!

Angie
02-21-2009, 09:34 PM
This thread needs more coffee.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/mymotherwasahamster/med_giant_coffee_urn.jpg

rhymegirl
02-21-2009, 10:19 PM
I answered your question. I gave you a link to go to...they explained them fully in the link. Geesh!

Ah, so you did, Kevin. My apologies.

I had not clicked the link. I'm much too lazy for that. Judg gave a short and sweet answer.

CaroGirl
02-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Geesh! You Ottawanians (Don't know what they actually call ya?) get put out so easily. I was on my way to a Leafs game downtown one day a few years ago and Nelson Mandella was at the front of his hotel, either getting into or out of his car, and I swear I waited more than 2 hours. I think it was worth it, though...my daughter got to wave to him and he waved back. Of course, I merely screamed at her to get back in the bloody car! (-;
Oh yes. You GTA-ers are definitely made of stronger stuff. Wasn't it you lot who declared a national emergency once because of a snowstorm? Bah!

Tim Horton's coffee is the manna of the gods. Starbucks is bitter moose piss. BeaverTails ROCK. Poutine tastes good but makes me feels worse than after I eat KFC.

Inky
02-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Oh yes. You GTA-ers are definitely made of stronger stuff. Wasn't it you lot who declared a national emergency once because of a snowstorm? Bah!

Tim Horton's coffee is the manna of the gods. Starbucks is bitter moose piss. BeaverTails ROCK. Poutine tastes good but makes me feels worse than after I eat KFC.
Poutine?
Tell me this isn't pronounced: pootin'.
Okay, I'm sooooooooooooooooooo NEVER ordering THAT! I wouldn't be able to say it without breaking out into hysterical giggles like I was 12 again!

It's like in Scotland, a donut type pastry called: yum-yums. Yup, I feel like a dork everytime I order 'em. And I giggle like a loon. Thank God they recognize me, year after year, and simply giggle with me--I crack jokes 'bout being a typical Yank. I mean, you have to admit: when's the last time you walked into a bakery & said, "I'll take a dozen yum-yums..."

I feel stoopit everytime!

M.R.J. Le Blanc
02-21-2009, 10:40 PM
I pronounce it as it's spelt. And in fact I'm having one in a few minutes lol

Williebee
02-21-2009, 10:52 PM
And suddenly I have an image wandering through my head, for a TV commercial with Leon Redbone. (http://www.leonredbone.com/whats_new.html)

"Poutine on a Ritz"

Judg
02-21-2009, 11:10 PM
KTC, I would have been pretty philosophical about the whole thing if I hadn't gotten so thoroughly chilled. If I'd had my warmest coat on I would have been fine. But the day had started deceptively warm, and then this wind came up. That changed everything.

On the upside, I found a pair of boots that fit my feet. So they were men's boots, they'll do. I have a really high arch, so the flattened styles of the last few years mean that finding winter wear for my feet is really, really tricky. I'm lucky if I find a pair of boots every three years. And I don't mean a pair of boots I like. I mean anything at all that is wearable. So I was pretty pumped about that. The pair I got three years ago I wear as little as possible because they hurt my feet.

It is really weird the things that have popped up in a thread dedicated to Obama's man-in-the-street image...

KTC
02-21-2009, 11:25 PM

We will never live that winter down. Thankfully, I had left the city by the time that happened. I'm on the outskirts...where we do not call the army in to shovel us out.

KTC
02-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Poutine is only poutine when you buy it in the streets of Montreal. All else pales. I hate that you can now go in to any fastfood place and get something they 'call' poutine. Only in Montreal, baby.

KTC
02-21-2009, 11:27 PM
KTC, I would have been pretty philosophical about the whole thing if I hadn't gotten so thoroughly chilled. If I'd had my warmest coat on I would have been fine. But the day had started deceptively warm, and then this wind came up. That changed everything.

On the upside, I found a pair of boots that fit my feet. So they were men's boots, they'll do. I have a really high arch, so the flattened styles of the last few years mean that finding winter wear for my feet is really, really tricky. I'm lucky if I find a pair of boots every three years. And I don't mean a pair of boots I like. I mean anything at all that is wearable. So I was pretty pumped about that. The pair I got three years ago I wear as little as possible because they hurt my feet.

It is really weird the things that have popped up in a thread dedicated to Obama's man-in-the-street image...

Well, I'm glad you found a pair! The Obama day will always be the day your feet found comfort!

nevada
02-22-2009, 01:07 AM
Poutine rocks! (poo-teen) Except teh KFC one cause they use that chicken gravy and it's okay but it's not great. but if you can't find it anywhere else then it does the trick.

I don't drink coffee but iced caps are awesome, almost as much as frappucinos. sometimes more.mmm now i'm craving poutine.

illiterwrite
02-22-2009, 01:24 AM
I love Tim Horton's, beaver tails, and poutine. I am indeed Canadian.

ErylRavenwell
02-22-2009, 04:50 AM
You gotta love the canucks. My third favorite country after the US and France (not counting Australia of course).

Judg
02-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Poutine is only poutine when you buy it in the streets of Montreal. All else pales. I hate that you can now go in to any fastfood place and get something they 'call' poutine. Only in Montreal, baby.
I hate to tell you, KTC, but in the birthplace of poutine (and in the whole region) they turn up their noses in disdain at Montreal poutine.

The best poutine I ever had was served with a pepper gravy and fried onions, peppers and mushrooms.