PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of War II: This time, there are bugs

Zoombie
02-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Way back when, there were no really awesome, main stream, fully 3d, ultra graphic games for Warhammer 40,000 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127840).

As you may remember from the thread I just linked up there, there WERE plenty of fairly good 2d wargame adaptations of Warhammer 40,000...and there were some rather crappy ones.

And then...with the force of a lascannon shot to the face, DAWN OF WAR exploded onto the stage, making a HUGE splash in the gaming scene. It carved out a rather nice niche in the RTS market and brought in a ton of ideas that were stolen, copied, ripped off by, mimiced by a lot of other RTSes.

Some new things it brought in were the idea of having units in squads rather than as single dudes running around in big clumps. It brought in the idea of using COVER in a real time stratagy game rather than just having dudes stand in place and shoot at eachother. It had the idea of capturing important points on the battle feild to give you your "monies" rather than having your men mine gold on the map.

And lastly, it was one of the FIRST games I've ever seen that gave a fairly reasonable reason why your troops arrived on the battle...

For the Space Marines, stalwart defenders of mankind, their buildings and units arrive by drop pods, slammed into the battlefeild from orbit.

For the Space Orks, vile and barberous beings with...wait, you know what an ORK is, right!? The Orks fly their buildings using a half broken fighter plane, drop a big pile of junk, and then the orkish subcreatures known as gretchens (aka, goblins), put the junk together into some kind of a building. Their units arrive by incredibly crude teleportation devices.

For the fell powers of Chaos, evil beings from beyond human understanding who seek to curropt and turn everyone to evil, their buildings are litterally pulled OUT OF HELL and their units arrive in much the same way.

And lastly, for the Eldar...space elves, they simply summon their buildings and units using their expertise with Warp travel.

But there is ONE thing that Dawn of War had that was never fully copied or stolen: The mood.

Dawn of War dripped with ambaince. It was overflowing with style. It exploded in your mouth with blood, guts, and over the top religious zealotry.

Orks scream in hillarious british accents things like, "WAAAAAAAAAARGH!" and "Uh, boz! We's gettin shot up!"

Eldar sneer and are pompus pricks (i never remembered their dialoug cause I never played them cause I HATE THEIR GUTS).

Chaos minions giglge and scream things like, "SANITY IS FOR THE WEAK!" and "DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TO!?" (I have always wanted to scream that last one at a Jehovis Whitness)

And the Space Marines...I could jabber about them for paragraphs about them.

And then, after Dawn of War, came...

DAWN OF WAR: WINTER ASSULT

Now we add the Imperial Guard to the mix. Think Russians, but with LASER BEAMS. And tanks the size of small cities. And giant battle-churches in the form of huge robots with enough weapons in their KNEECAPS to destroy entire continents.

And then we had DAWN OF WAR: DARK CRUSADE

Added to the mix were the Necrons, ancient, millenia old killing machine robots that use guns that make physics cry AND the Tau, the dreaded SPACE COMUNISTS.

And lastly, we have Dawn of War: Soulstorm.

Moving right along!

Fans looked at one another and started to mutter one very big. Very important question.

Where.

Are.

The.

TYRANIDS!

Yes! The Tyranids! If you have played Starcraft, you will think of the buglike Zerg..but you would be WRONG.

Becuase the 'Nids are nothing like the Zerg. No, the ZERG are the ones who are ripping off the 'Nids.

See, by Soulstorm, we had every single race (including the massivly retarded Sisters of Battle, who are litterally NUNS with GUNS...okay, wait, that does sound awesome...) except for one of the most popular and scary races in the whole universe!

Wtf the fans were shouting. WTF!?

And then...came DAWN OF WAR II

And it is glorious.

I shall play more and write up the rest of this post in a bit!

But I know enough to say this:

If you LIKE warhammer 40,000, BUY THIS GAME!

If you THINK you might like warhammer 40,000, BUY THIS GAME!

If you HATE Warhammer 40,000 but love real time stratagy, BUY THIS GAME

If you hate Warhammer 40,000 and hate real time stratagy games...WTF ARE YOU DOING HERE! GO PLAY CHESS OR SOMETHIG!

So, final line? Buy this game!

Or wait for a more detailed write up in a bit.

dclary
02-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Where the hell are my Space Wolves?

Fulk
02-22-2009, 12:29 PM
When I first read this thread, I thought it was going to be a complaint about how the sequel somehow fails to live up to its predecessor. I've been considering getting the game, since I truly love RTS games, but seeing how I just dished out $50 for Left 4 Dead, I may wait a while.

Mr Flibble
02-22-2009, 01:39 PM
I wondered why I hadn't seen the Old Man for a while.

*checks* Yes, there he is, hollow-eyed and gaunt, blowing stuff up.

Zoombie
02-23-2009, 04:17 AM
OKAY!

I have completed the campaign and I'm here to tell you...

Ya know that Dawn of War II video game? Well, I'm here to tell you that it totally completely 100% blows its predecessor out of the water.

The campaign is brilliant, melding RTS with RPG, creating a small scale tactical mini-game with a planet sweeping meta game where your handful of space marines try to hold off billions of Tyranids.

Your space marines actually have...CHARACTER NOW!!!

Yes, you have 5 squads and 1 dreadnought, each with their own voice actor and skill set. They interact with one another between missions, talk during missions, and say cool things while killing bad guys. Though their acting is less over the top than in Dawn of War, it is far more believable and quite immersive.

Also, I must give a special shout out to the orks:

While in battle, you can hear them shout the normal "WAAAAAAGH!", but I've also heard things like...

"Uh, boss...I fought we were supposed ta be shootin THEM!"

"Tha's too big a 'ole ta be in an ork like me!"

"DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!"

"BACK UP LIVELY BOYS!"

"Hey, boss! The trukk threw a greay fing!"

"Uh...boss, whas that up in the sky?" <gets flattened by a drop pod>

"TOO MUCH DAKKA!" <runs away>

Romantic Heretic
02-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Sigh. Not available for the Mac. :cry:

dclary
02-24-2009, 07:36 PM
The folks at Penny Arcade have been unable to play it due to a Vista bug. :(

Zoombie
02-25-2009, 07:01 AM
Macs are a blight in the Emperor's eyes.

THEY WILL BE EXPUNGED WITH HOLY FLAME!