Used tea leaves/tea bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
I know this is going to sound odd, but ...

I am writing a non-fiction book about tea, and I am looking for ways people make use of used tea leaves/tea bags. I already have found 100 ways -- believe it or not -- and so am looking for the more unusual uses, specialized uses.

So: I already know about using used tea leaves with regard to the houseplant/garden/compost, the deodorizer in the refrigerator, the puffiness/pain/itch reliever ...

If you use used tea leaves/tea bags as some sort of building material for a hobby -- or as an ingredient in some sort of non-human-food recipe -- I would be delighted to hear from you.

Thanks!

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
For a high school art assignment, my sister used slightly evaporated (thus condensed) tea as a form of ink on watercolor paper.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I know you can use tea to dye fabric for crafts, but I bet you already have that tip. Interesting project you've got going! Best of luck with it. :)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Similiar to art projects, we've used tea bags to discolor new paper to make it look old and worn, like old letters... but I bet that's already been noted as well. :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fabric dying, but not just for crafts.

In Ye Olden Tymes, when women of a certain build could not buy bras that fit in any color other than white, my mom and I used tea to dye ours a less-nunlike ecru. (Conventional dyes like Rit faded quickly, and bled on everything in the wash load.) We even experimented with flavored teas (popular now, rare then). The cinnamon one came pretty close to what Bali was calling 'blush,' and Constant Comment was a match for 'nude.'

Maryn, who does indeed get constant comment when she's nude (haha)

Last edited:

Hummingbird

Pen, Paper, Prepared. ...Write!
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen tea leaves in candles. Some had the crunched up leaves from a tea bag, and whole leaves inside or around the edges of candles. I bought one, but I don't remember how well it smelled. It was interesting watching the white wax turn a slight yellow green from the peppermint.
I've seen leaves in soap too. They look pretty in glycerin soaps, but work well in milk soaps too. Peppermint has the same problem of changing white milk soap to a yellow green around it though.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
thanks/more on soap- & candle-making?

Thanks, everyone, for your responses so far -- I've got all of them, but its good to have things verified.

Now ...
Hummingbird said:
I've seen tea leaves in candles. Some had the crunched up leaves from a tea bag, and whole leaves inside or around the edges of candles. I bought one, but I don't remember how well it smelled. It was interesting watching the white wax turn a slight yellow green from the peppermint.
I've seen leaves in soap too. They look pretty in glycerin soaps, but work well in milk soaps too. Peppermint has the same problem of changing white milk soap to a yellow green around it though.

Used (but dried) green tea leaves, I have read, smell nice when burned like incense -- I wonder if there's value-added when they are in candles?

I have also read of used tea leaves can be used as a mild facial scrub -- did they add that much texture to soap?

Deleted member 42

Tea bags (and strong tea) used as a meat tenderizer--high in tannin, you know.

Oh, and to fake a peat bog, I used tea bags, or rather the tea from them, for a class demonstration.

Tea brack is a traditional food at Scottish teas.

mdmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mdmkay.blogspot.com
I'm positive you already have this one but just in case......they use to use teabags and still do for poultices for drawing out poisons in the body (teeth, boils, splinters,...etc) Just saying it for the sake of saying it...don't use cold teabags for teething babies if your that desperate and want a homeopathic cure, rub alcohol (as in whiskey) with your finger (not in the shot glass unless mom needs the shot glass part) on the gum. Come to thinking about old wives remedies and new mothers......we had an old doctor's remedy for baby's colic and it worked very well........a glass a wine and a rocking chair......mom drinks the glass of wine while rocking the baby......both mom and baby feels better. (Don't even start on the hate letters I didn't say you should be breast feeding and drinking alcohol but in the olden days...........well, nuff said). [for those wondering what the heck I'm talking about they used to prescribe a glass of beer for mother's having pb's with breast feeding--helped with relaxation and let-down of the milk]

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
When my daughter had her wisdom teeth pulled, the dentist told me to boil a tea bag, cool it down, and let her bite down on it over the hole where the tooth had been if we had trouble with bleeding from the socket. I think (don't quote me) that he said the tannin in the tea promoted clotting.

mdmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mdmkay.blogspot.com
Ok I won't quote you but you're right. In that situation its ok because you aren't using it for any length of time. I'm sure he told you to remove it once the bleeding had stopped but for babies that are teething you would use it to much and it actually builds up and makes them really sick.(I'm talking seriously ill). Adults and bigger kids bodies have the kidney function and body mass to rid themselves of the poison. It also depends on the teabag---herbal teas can get you into some real messes.

SEE I told you I knew a little about alot of nothing in particular (or probably important...but occasionally I can be entertaining......now if I could just make my books more entertaining.......well still living and learning the craft).

sgtsdaughter

Nearing the end of an era
Registered
Reaction score
stuck between Wonder Woman and Lady Columbia
Maryn said:
Fabric dying, but not just for crafts.

In Ye Olden Tymes, when women of a certain build could not buy bras that fit in any color other than white, my mom and I used tea to dye ours a less-nunlike ecru. (Conventional dyes like Rit faded quickly, and bled on everything in the wash load.) We even experimented with flavored teas (popular now, rare then). The cinnamon one came pretty close to what Bali was calling 'blush,' and Constant Comment was a match for 'nude.'

Maryn, who does indeed get constant commend when she's nude (haha)

Maryn,

That brought back some fine memories!

And some of us had fundamentalist type mothers who would not allow us to wear anything but white . . . Hence, my sister and I made good use of tea bags.

sgtsdaughter

Registered
Reaction score
Also,

loose tea leaves work well in your sink drain . . . they act like coffee grounds and reduce the sewer odor.

and tea leaves in bath water. realxing to say the least, but leave them in a cloth bag, or you'll have a fine time cleaning the mess.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
sink drain?

sgtsdaughter said:
Also,

loose tea leaves work well in your sink drain . . . they act like coffee grounds and reduce the sewer odor.

I hadn't heard this one before -- But how do you use them without stopping up the drain?

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
peat bog

Medievalist said:
Oh, and to fake a peat bog, I used tea bags, or rather the tea from them, for a class demonstration.

Tea brack is a traditional food at Scottish teas.

A fake peat bog?! Now, that sounds interesting -- can you explain a little bit more?

I don't know what "tea brack" is -- I am assuming it is some kind of cake made with tea or tea leaves? In any case, I'm looking for non-food items, but thanks.

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Children's author Peggy Parish once used loose tea leaves in a cake, to see what it would do to the cake's appearance, for an idea she used in one of her Amelia Bedelia books. (I actually heard her mention doing it, during a lecture I attended.)

sgtsdaughter

Registered
Reaction score
smallthunder said:
I hadn't heard this one before -- But how do you use them without stopping up the drain?

I could have swore that I responded to this . . .

Just run water as you pour the used tea leaves down the drain . . . the should be crumbled (not whole pieces) so that they will go down.

Also, you can use tea leaves in bath water. Makes things rather relaxing. Rose and mint are just fine.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
mdmkay said:
Ok I won't quote you but you're right. In that situation its ok because you aren't using it for any length of time. I'm sure he told you to remove it once the bleeding had stopped but for babies that are teething you would use it to much and it actually builds up and makes them really sick.(I'm talking seriously ill). Adults and bigger kids bodies have the kidney function and body mass to rid themselves of the poison. It also depends on the teabag---herbal teas can get you into some real messes.

Yup, the dentist specified using black tea. He suggested something ordinary like Lipton or Red Rose, and yes, she was supposed to remove it when the bleeding stopped. I just wasn't sure what the mechanism of action was that caused the bleeding to stop.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
I love tea-eggs -- and once you shell them, the "marble egg" look impresses the heck out of unknowing guests...
I've used black tea as well as oolong -- oolong is best when used alone, black when you're using other ingredients (e.g. star anise, orange peel).

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
tea enemas?

BookCoverDesigner said:
I hear there are coffee enemas (used for sexual reasons), are there tea enemas?

Cathi
Well, I can't say that I've run across "tea enemas" in my research -- used for sexual, or any other, reasons. But hey -- I'll keep an open mind -- if someone wants to personally elaborate on this!

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Used tea leaves can go into the compost bin. If you don't have a compost bin, bury the leaves in the garden so they can enrich the soil directly, or add them to potting mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.