PDA

View Full Version : Good News/Bad News on Stimulus

CasualObserver
02-07-2009, 08:56 AM
The good news is they've reached an agreement, tentatively, and it's roughly $150 billion cheaper.

The bad news is they cut education funds and tax cuts. You know, the useful and stimulating stuff.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/07/senators-broker-stimulus-deal/

donroc
02-07-2009, 04:02 PM
I understand that they overpaid the banks 78 billion. If my math is correct, that equals $39,000 they could have paid to 2 million who most recently lost their jobs or to those most needy who lost life savings to Madoff thanks to the SEC being unconscious.

Robert Toy
02-07-2009, 06:08 PM
The good news is they've reached an agreement, tentatively, and it's roughly $150 billion cheaper.

The bad news is they cut education funds and tax cuts. You know, the useful and stimulating stuff.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/07/senators-broker-stimulus-deal/
Have no fear, the Senate spent a good portion of last evening pumping it back up, I believe it stands around 811 827 billion and climbing. Smoke and mirrors cost cutting.

Christine N.
02-07-2009, 06:58 PM
This morning news reports it's closer to the number of Obama's original bill - in the 700 billion dollar range. I hate they had to make the education cuts, but we all have to compromise I suppose.

Robert Toy
02-07-2009, 07:03 PM
This morning news reports it's closer to the number of Obama's original bill - in the 700 billion dollar range. I hate they had to make the education cuts, but we all have to compromise I suppose.
Sen. Ben Nelson, a Democrat from Nebraska and one of the chief negotiators of the plan, said senators had trimmed the plan to $827 billion in tax cuts and spending on infrastructure, housing and other programs that would create or save jobs.

"We trimmed the fat, fried the bacon and milked the sacred cows," Nelson said as debate began.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/06/stimulus/index.html

ETA: My prediction...$872 billion leaving the Senate

CasualObserver
02-07-2009, 07:46 PM
[quote=Robert Toy;3260357]This morning news reports it's closer to the number of Obama's original bill - in the 700 billion dollar range. I hate they had to make the education cuts, but we all have to compromise I suppose. quote]
Here's what's cheesing me off about the education cuts. If this had been a solid, useful bill full of real stimulus to the economy, plus local and state education funds and a wee pork to grease it through, I'd have sighed and said, "ah, well" about the cuts to education. Just as you said, sometimes tough compromises must be made.

As it was, however, the education funds and tax cuts were the only damned useful spending in the stupid juggernaut. Education wasn't stimulus, per se, but it was good use of funds on the whole. And do they cut the damned money for new furniture for Homeland Security, renovating federal offices, butterfly gardens, tv converter boxes, new and shiny medical recordkeeping systems? No details available as of last night, but I'm betting the f'ing PORK is still there, it's just the useful stuff they cut. Because they're flippin' morons. Their way of saying, "Oh, we'll make this cheaper if y'alls want to whine about it. BAM, cut the stuff that'll work, HAHAHA, that'll learn ya."

johnnysannie
02-08-2009, 05:04 AM
For those of us employed in the education field, the education money would have been stimulus!!!

ColoradoGuy
02-08-2009, 05:22 AM
Since there is so much controversy about how well (or poorly) tax cuts work as an economic stimulus, I'm not surprised that the bill that came out of the Senate split between the two approaches more or less fifty-fifty. It's definitely hedging the bet. I'm more for spending than tax cuts, since I think it has a more direct effect on the large proportion of people who pay no income taxes and have no invested capital to gain. Of course for them, cutting FICA taxes would the most direct approach at putting more money in their pockets, but that would mean messing with Social Security.

Robert Toy
02-08-2009, 09:15 PM
My ire is caused by the Democrats who after eight years of the Republicans pissing money away, got elected on the promise of fiscal responsibility and are now doing the same thing and using a “well they did it too” excuse.

astonwest
02-09-2009, 01:45 AM
My ire is caused by the Democrats who after eight years of the Republicans pissing money away, got elected on the promise of fiscal responsibility and are now doing the same thing and using a “well they did it too” excuse.
Wait, they promised whatever they needed to, to get elected...and are now doing whatever they feel like?

Whoever could have guessed that was going to happen with politicians?
:)