PDA

View Full Version : Surgeons remove healthy kidney through donor's vagina

Robert Toy
02-04-2009, 03:18 AM
Surgeons removed a healthy kidney through a donor's vagina, the Johns Hopkins Medical Center has announced. Although the procedure has been previously done to extract cancerous and nonfunctioning kidneys that threatened a patient's health, the surgery was the first time it was done for donation purposes, the center said.

"She said it was like getting a tooth removed," the donor's doctor said.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/03/kidney.vagina.surgery/index.html

Okay...what will it be kidney or tooth? I need to know how to adjust the chair.

scarletpeaches
02-04-2009, 03:19 AM
I just puckered.

MattW
02-04-2009, 03:20 AM
What happens if I don't have a vagina and want to give a kidney? Still a tub full of ice cubes? Not even buy me dinner first?

scarletpeaches
02-04-2009, 03:21 AM
Just so y'all know, my vadge is one-way traffic only.

Babies, teeth, kidneys, you name it. There's nowt comin' owt.

semilargeintestine
02-04-2009, 03:23 AM
What happens if I don't have a vagina and want to give a kidney? Still a tub full of ice cubes? Not even buy me dinner first?

Think about it. What hole do you have down there? There aren't many options, and a kidney is too big to come out the front.

MattW
02-04-2009, 03:24 AM

Babies, teeth, kidneys, you name it. There's nowt comin' owt.Spare us the ins and outs of it...

sassandgroove
02-04-2009, 03:25 AM
to what purpose? internal incision instead of external? I am not sure I even want to think about it. never mind.

semilargeintestine
02-04-2009, 03:29 AM
Minimally invasive surgery. They have taken gallbladders out the same way and are experimenting with taking them out via endoscopy, as not everyone has a vag.

Don Allen
02-04-2009, 03:34 AM

Love the way you put things....

ColoradoGuy
02-04-2009, 03:44 AM
I'm not sure I'd want to be the recipient of that kidney.

scarletpeaches
02-04-2009, 03:45 AM
Maybe they should rename it a 'vadgidney'.

Williebee
02-04-2009, 03:58 AM
You know, sometimes "OW" just doesn't get it.

Lyv
02-04-2009, 04:10 AM
Sounds good to me. I base this on having seen my sister after donating a kidney to our other sister. It was rough (though I'm sure the surgery has improved since the 1980s).

If it helps make the process easier for donors and maybe even boosts the number of kidneys donated, it's all good.

Feiss
02-04-2009, 10:38 AM
I can hear it! I can hear it!!

Ssssschhhhhluuppp

there you go, kidney, don't mind the clitty litter.

Plot Device
02-04-2009, 08:00 PM

Stuff goes out but never goes in??

Or

Stuff goes in but never goes out??

SHBueche
02-04-2009, 09:17 PM
I know they are making tremendous progress on the surgery front, many surgeries are available through laprascopies. Now that stem cell research is on the forefront again, I predict even more progress.

sassandgroove
02-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Stuff goes out but never goes in??

Or

Stuff goes in but never goes out??

Read the whole post.

stuff only goes IN.

maestrowork
02-04-2009, 09:45 PM
I think I just puked out my kidney...

StephanieFox
02-04-2009, 09:47 PM

Just turn around.

Oooo. Is that rude?

Haggis
02-04-2009, 09:53 PM
"She said it was like getting a tooth removed," the donor's doctor said.

I suppose they'll be trying that next.

Snowstorm
02-04-2009, 11:04 PM
I've read many years ago the vagina is extremely fast healing. Makes sense to remove an organ this way rather than the weeks of healing via the old way through the skin. Although, I admit it sounds a bit creepy.

TerzaRima
02-04-2009, 11:36 PM
I admit it sounds a bit creepy.

I think it sounds a bit hard to keep sterile.

Snowstorm
02-04-2009, 11:45 PM

I wondered about that too. A big condom inserted with a slit where the incision would be? Lots of cleaning?

(Sorry, this is creeping me out. Not sure why though.)

ColoradoGuy
02-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Yeah, which is why I'm sure I'd want it. Besides, although the usual flank incision to take out a kidney is not trivial, it's nothing like, say, a thoracotomy or a total hip replacement.

Tirjasdyn
02-04-2009, 11:52 PM
I've read many years ago the vagina is extremely fast healing. Makes sense to remove an organ this way rather than the weeks of healing via the old way through the skin. Although, I admit it sounds a bit creepy.

TMI TIME

No it's not....unless a year is fast healing for you.

AnneMarble
02-05-2009, 02:49 AM
I think I just puked out my kidney...
Quick! Sell it before it goes bad. :tongue

Snowstorm
02-05-2009, 09:49 AM
TMI TIME

No it's not....unless a year is fast healing for you.

A year? Don't know where you got that. Please explain.

Joe270
02-05-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm wondering what they're gonna do next, pull a spleen outta somebody's ear?

Don
02-05-2009, 03:07 PM
"Hey Rocky, wanna see me pull a spleen out of my ear?"

"Not now, Bullwinkle!"

Albedo
02-05-2009, 03:41 PM

I've seen video of the removal of someone's gall bladder through their mouth (via the stomach wall and oesophagus).

GeorgeK
02-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Yeah, which is why I'm sure I'd want it. Besides, although the usual flank incision to take out a kidney is not trivial, it's nothing like, say, a thoracotomy or a total hip replacement.

It's not all that unusual for a nephrectomy to include a thoracotomy. It depends upon the anatomy.

GeorgeK
02-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I can hear it! I can hear it!!

Ssssschhhhhluuppp

In an open nephrectomy it does sound much like that

GeorgeK
02-05-2009, 06:46 PM

They wash it. On the back table they also pick it clean and I'm sure they do a full prep on the vagina. The outer sheath of the kidney is also one of the toughest substances in the body. On a microscopic level it's almost a sort of armor. They will also have the recipient patient on antibiotics and have surgical close suctioned drains surrounding it. It's going to be cleaner than if they dropped the kidney on the floor. The purpose is as someone else said, to make it easier on the donor. The recovery should be much easier. The pelvis has a richer blood supply than the flank so it should heal quicker. The risk of dehissence and hernia is less. I'd guess it could only (so far) be done on women who've had or in conjuntion with a hysterectomy. Pulling a donor kidney through the gut, now that sounds impossible to clean, of course when they try that, they'll trust their gorillacillin to take care of it.

Tirjasdyn
02-05-2009, 10:05 PM
A year? Don't know where you got that. Please explain.

Personal Experience.

Cuts in there don't heal right ever.

GeorgeK
02-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Personal Experience.

Cuts in there don't heal right ever.

For most people they do, but it doesn't matter what the odds are, whatever happens for you is 100% for you. Surgery is just a controlled injury. Injuries can result in complications. If you are having problems a year or more after the fact, you should consider a second opinion, or sooner if you think something is outside the norm. Vague aches and pains for up to about a year after major surgery isn't all that uncommon. When they tell you 6 weeks to recover, what that really means is that you should not be needing narcotics to deal with the discomfort by 6 weeks.

Tirjasdyn
02-05-2009, 11:31 PM
When they tell you 6 weeks to recover, what that really means is that you should not be needing narcotics to deal with the discomfort by 6 weeks.

Quoted for truth.

benbradley
02-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Read the whole post.

stuff only goes IN.
After a moment's thought, I'm staying away from scarletpeaches.

AnneMarble
02-06-2009, 11:34 PM
When they tell you 6 weeks to recover, what that really means is that you should not be needing narcotics to deal with the discomfort by 6 weeks.
This is full of TMI.

Maybe I'm weird (OK, of course I'm weird, I have a counter tenor avatar :tongue), but when I was sent home after my total hysterectomy, (~4.5 years ago), I only used a few of the pain pills they gave me. And they took my thingies out the old-fashioned way (with a large scar) because they had to get a good look and make sure there were no bad thingies inside.

But then I'd rather put up with the pain then the side effects. No, I wasn't worried about addiction. I'd used pain pills before, and I knew the effects they had on my body. I didn't want to follow up abdominal surgery with constipation. :poke: I ended up doing that anyway because my parents gave me a stool softener because the instructions said they should, and then that, uhm, backfired, so they gave me a pill to counteract that, and then something to counteract the counteraction. But at least after the gall bladder surgery (done the new way, thank God), they knew better than to give me a stool softener again.
:ROFL:

Edited to Add:
That doesn't mean the whole thing was "easy." I wasn't allowed to bend over to pick up stuff for a couple of months (at least). I wasn't allowed to take a bath for six months, and I wasn't allowed to have sex for six months. Luckily, I was allowed to take showers -- although in the first couple of weeks, my parents moved saw horses into the bathroom so that I had support getting in and out of the shower. (Yes, my Dad has his own saw horses, doesn't yours? ;))