PDA

View Full Version : The Value of Playing

Beach Bunny
01-03-2009, 10:40 PM
I said most of this last night in the Royalty Thread. I was asked to come over here and repeat it.

*climbs up on soapbox*

I'm really getting tired of the mindset that someone who enjoys playing around in Office Party isn't a serious writer. That there is no value to a writer for fun and frolic and Mac should get rid of Office Party and all the other threads in which members frolic and play.

Playing is vitally important to one's physical and mental health and creativity. If you aren't playing, then you're probably hurt or depressed. Playing can help eleviate the pain and suffering that comes with being a human being. Too often as adults we forget to play or we scorn those who can still engage in childlike play. But, you know what, people who know when to play and when to be serious are much better off than people who are serious all the time or people who never grow up. Yes, I can act like an adult when it is necessary. I do it all the time.

I haven't been able to write anything worth a crap for a year. I have tons of ideas, but I have been stalled. Depressed and stressed out from all the shit that life has hurled at me. And let me tell you, a normal person would be broken by everything that I have HAD to carry for the past many years. It's a wonder that I haven't flipped out and been carted off in straight-jacket.

Finally, after playing around for the past month I am listening to music again. I'm a dancer. Music is food for my soul. I'm also an artist. And this past month, I've picked up my pencils and sketchbook. They've been put away for six months or more. And I've been thinking about polishing up a few of my short stories and sending them out. And a few days ago, I revisited the "what the heck do I do with my style of writing" question. And because of that conversation, I gave a copy of my story to my niece and asked her to have her friends to read it. Get some feedback on that potential market. And NONE of this would have happened if I hadn't been able to come here and play in Office Party with my friends.

Furthermore, relaxing and playing with others can open a door to creativity. There have been many times that I have been playing around in a thread, that someone has posted "Holy Crap! That just gave me a great idea for a short story! or my wip!" and run off to write it down. I personally have found inspiration for stories and characters from playing with people online. If it doesn't work for you that's fine, I would like to remind you of the stock answer to all writing questions: "Do what works for you." And for some of us, Office Party and playing around works. :)

For those of you looking down your nose at me right now, all I have to say in response is: Bite me. :tongue:

*climbs down off soapbox*
:)

nevada
01-03-2009, 10:44 PM
unless you're made of chocolate I am not biting you.

I have several Todd McFarlane Dragon figures that I picked up for a novel I was thinking of writing. I played with them and it made me realize that the story sucked and now it's a contemporary about a vet with no dragons. Without the playing I never would have figured that out. I love playing.

Toothpaste
01-03-2009, 10:46 PM
I totally agree. And I also had no idea people didn't want Office Party etc around anymore. That seems odd to me. This is a very active site, it isn't like Office Party is draining all the attention away from the other more "serious" areas. If people don't like those threads, don't participate. Anyway, play is very important totally. Whether it be here, or going out with friends, or walking the dog or whatever. All the stuff we do outside our writing time, still informs it. Besides, it's fun!

Danger Jane
01-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Totally with you. People want OP axed?? Like that'll ever happen :tongue

(crosses fingers)

Beach Bunny
01-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Yes, we get snarkiness about playing around and not being serious writers ALL the time. I got smacked with it again yesterday when I was goofing around in the "Royalty for a Week" Thread.

Since this is where all the "serious" ;) writers hang out, I was asked to say something over here about it. :)

ETA: I read the threads over here, but I rarely post anything, because I don't have anything to add to the conversation. :)

Toothpaste
01-03-2009, 10:55 PM
That is really weird. It's not like you were derailing a serious thread (which, to be honest, can annoy me a bit). Well whatever . . . playing is good and awesome! And don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

scarletpeaches
01-03-2009, 10:56 PM
From my cold, dead hand.

Stew21
01-03-2009, 10:57 PM
First, I have not heard any talk of Office Party going away. I have personally talked to Mac about why I believe Office Party is important to this site and she agreed with me. That was over a year ago. I don't think anything has changed.
Office Party has it's place here. I don't think you need to worry about that.

That said, I think the worry is unfounded, but appreciate your sentiments.

slcboston
01-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Yes, we get snarkiness about playing around and not being serious writers ALL the time.

I don't think I'm *ever* a serious writer. Professional, yes -even says so on my tax forms. But "serious" implies things I don't ever want to be, and writing for places best described with words like "tomes" and "dusty" and worst of all "academia." (First person to say "modernity" again gets smacked with the unabridged OED. :D)

Writers who take themselves too seriously have always been the least fun to read. :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Getting rid of Office Party and/or TIO and/or Politics and Current Events is a notion that some folk get in their heads when the moon is full. For some reason, it irks people who want this to be a more serious site to see folks blowing off a little steam.

But fear not... when Jenna owned AW, it didn't happen and it won't happen while Mac's at the helm, either. Mac - and most of the rest of us - realize exactly what Bunny said above: all work and no play make Jack and Jill very boring.

We're here to stay.

slcboston
01-03-2009, 10:59 PM
I have personally talked to Mac about why I believe Office Party is important to this site and she agreed with me.

:Wha:

Mac's a GIRL?? (Well, woman, or whatever... I think of men as "guys" too so don't shoot me, please. :D)

Guess I should have read Jed's guide for the newbies a little more closely. :D

Mr Flibble
01-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Bugger seriosuness for a game of soldiers. I'm genetically incapable of being serious for ooooh more than five minutes at a time.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Besides... what would Mac do with me and Melina and Silver King?

There's no market for unemployed Office Party Mods.

scarletpeaches
01-03-2009, 11:05 PM
The trick is - take writing seriously.

Not yourself.

Beach Bunny
01-03-2009, 11:07 PM
First, I have not heard any talk of Office Party going away. I have personally talked to Mac about why I believe Office Party is important to this site and she agreed with me. That was over a year ago. I don't think anything has changed.
Office Party has it's place here. I don't think you need to worry about that.

That said, I think the worry is unfounded, but appreciate your sentiments.

Getting rid of Office Party and/or TIO and/or Politics and Current Events is a notion that some folk get in their heads when the moon is full. For some reason, it irks people who want this to be a more serious site to see folks blowing off a little steam.

But fear not... when Jenna owned AW, it didn't happen and it won't happen while Mac's at the helm, either. Mac - and most of the rest of us - realize exactly what Bunny said above: all work and no play make Jack and Jill very boring.

We're here to stay.

Oh. I wasn't clear. I'm not worried that Mac will do that, she's a smart woman.

What I am getting tired of is hearing *snotty voice* "This is a WRITING site, not a social networking site." or similar. There are others who feel the same way and one of them asked me to come over here and start a discussion on the value of playing. So, I did. :)

I don't think I'm *ever* a serious writer. Professional, yes -even says so on my tax forms. But "serious" implies things I don't ever want to be, and writing for places best described with words like "tomes" and "dusty" and worst of all "academia." (First person to say "modernity" again gets smacked with the unabridged OED. :D)

Writers who take themselves too seriously have always been the least fun to read. :D
Modernity

*ducking and running* Missed me. :)

Susie
01-03-2009, 11:08 PM
No, Office Party? That can't be 'write.' I write all the time and never delve into myself too deeply, just my characters. Thx much, jen, for the comforting words. Thx much for yours, Bunny. ((((((HUGS)))).

BenPanced
01-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Just about every forum online I belong to has an "off topic" area.

So you hang out in the OP area more than you do the "serious" boards. BFD. Have fun and don't spill any grape juice on the carpet.

scarletpeaches
01-03-2009, 11:12 PM
..."This is a WRITING site, not a social networking site." or similar...

Pfft. I've met one other member in the flesh (fnarr), expect to meet another this coming summer and no doubt will have to see thethinker42 at some point. I feel safer knowing where she is, you see...

But, meh. We're all writers. We congregate. That's what this site is all about. There'd be something wrong if we didn't gravitate towards certain other members and perhaps even meet up at some point.

It would show we had nothing in common and given this is a site for people who all have writing in common, I can't see that ever being the case.

Beach Bunny
01-03-2009, 11:22 PM

So you hang out in the OP area more than you do the "serious" boards. BFD. Have fun and don't spill any grape juice on the carpet.
Exactly.

And maybe the reason you don't see someone posting in the "serious" threads is because they don't have anything to add to the conversation. Or like me, they know that they don't have the credentials to support outline vs. no outline, 1st person POV vs 3rd, etc, so they keep their mouth shut and lurk. There is no WAY of knowing someone is lurking in a thread unless they rep you.

Pfft. I've met one other member in the flesh (fnarr), expect to meet another this coming summer and no doubt will have to see thethinker42 at some point. I feel safer knowing where she is, you see...

But, meh. We're all writers. We congregate. That's what this site is all about. There'd be something wrong if we didn't gravitate towards certain other members and perhaps even meet up at some point.

It would show we had nothing in common and given this is a site for people who all have writing in common, I can't see that ever being the case.
Yes, I've been a member of different writing related message boards for the past five years. There has been only ONE time when I have met in real life anyone I know online. And that was a regional breakfast get together four years ago.

oneblindmouse
01-03-2009, 11:24 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with BB. Relaxing and goofing about, making friends, or giving out hugs and chocolate or venting rants in Office Party is not only fun and good for the creative juices but is also therapeutic. When I joined AW a year ago, I was depressed and chronically low in self-esteem, but the welcome I received there and on the word games / prompts threads has helped me to open up and embrace the world again.

I'm confident Mac will NOT axe the OP. After all, there's no more obligation to post on Office Party than there is to post on the various religious or political threads.

scarletpeaches
01-03-2009, 11:26 PM
At a rough estimate, after six or so years of being online, I've met around 10-15 people I got to know on teh intarchoobs first.

Most were through sites like this; message boards, and there was never any plan to meet up from the beginning; it feels more natural that way, like a developing friendship.

Cranky
01-03-2009, 11:26 PM
I'll tell you, I've gotten tons of ideas for my work playing around in OP, either through conversations I've participated in (even, yes, the goofy ones - you never know what'll trip your trigger :D) and others I've simply read about. Same goes for P&CE as well.

I've also made friends through hanging out on both of those subforums who've helped me tremendously with my writing. OP has been invaluable, and that's without even getting into the "blowing off steam" part.

Long live OP, and playing for adults!

MrWrite
01-03-2009, 11:27 PM
You can actually make good friends in the Office Party. I know I have :D Sometimes you just want to relax with like minded people or relax after a long writing session.

Beach Bunny
01-03-2009, 11:30 PM
I just want to be clear about something.

Mac is NOT considering getting rid of Office Party.

My rant is toward those people who look down their noses at those of us who enjoy playing there and would like her to.

Ciera_
01-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Funny how those who say such things about OP don't appear here to defend their perspective. Might that be, oh, I don't know...because it's much more silly and unfounded and impossible-to-take-seriously than anything that's actually in OP? Seriously, that 'this forum is for serious writers!' attitude makes no sense to me. It would be like me going into a screenwriting thread and saying 'this forum is for novelists only!'

MrWrite
01-03-2009, 11:32 PM
They're snobs that's all.

KTC
01-03-2009, 11:33 PM
I have always believed that it's good exercise to be silly. There are many writing lessons to be learned in OP. It can give one that sense of spontaneity that is a great weapon for the writer. A well balanced writer can be witty and quick...the atmosphere that OP offers.

slcboston
01-03-2009, 11:34 PM
What? MEET people???

You mean, go out????

*eyes the dragon in the moat nervously* But then what do I do about fluffy?? :D

Stlight
01-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Arrrgha! BB, no one told me my mother was on this board! She never thought artists of any form should play or do anything but sit in their room and paint or write or play music.

Mom, if you're here - Hi! and get over yourself!

Stlight

PS I didn't know how to play when I got here, my first post in OP was transferred to Roundtable. I'm still not good at it, but I'm gonna keep on trying.

Beach Bunny
01-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Funny how those who say such things about OP don't appear here to defend their perspective. Might that be, oh, I don't know...because it's much more silly and unfounded and impossible-to-take-seriously than anything that's actually in OP? Seriously, that 'this forum is for serious writers!' attitude makes no sense to me. It would be like me going into a screenwriting thread and saying 'this forum is for novelists only!'

:ROFL: Exactly.

Now we have put them on notice that we are mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore. :tongue:

What? MEET people???

You mean, go out????

*eyes the dragon in the moat nervously* But then what do I do about fluffy?? :D
Ask Hagrid to babysit. He loves dragons.

Stew21
01-03-2009, 11:45 PM
The What does office party mean to you thread:

specifically, Here's Mac's post http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1669446&postcount=34

and mine:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1670013&postcount=40

But I recommend reading the whole thread.

williemeikle
01-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Bugger seriosuness for a game of soldiers. I'm genetically incapable of being serious for ooooh more than five minutes at a time.

Must be a Scottish thing :) I'm the same.

Beach Bunny
01-03-2009, 11:52 PM
The What does office party mean to you thread:

specifically, Here's Mac's post http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1669446&postcount=34

and mine:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1670013&postcount=40

But I recommend reading the whole thread.
That discussion is over a year old. Can that thread be stickied?

slcboston
01-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Ask Hagrid to babysit. He loves dragons.

For a minute I thought you said "Haggis" :D

(I didn;t think that would work, and I'd miss the little chihuahua after he was eaten, :D)

scarletpeaches
01-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Must be a Scottish thing :) I'm the same.

Thirded.

Beach Bunny
01-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Thirded.
it must be genetic. American with Scottish ancestors. Can I say fourth?

For a minute I thought you said "Haggis" :D

(I didn;t think that would work, and I'd miss the little chihuahua after he was eaten, :D)
No. Today is Chihuahua appreciation day in the Royalty Thread. You're 'posed to hug him and squeeze him and call him "Haggypoo"

slcboston
01-04-2009, 12:18 AM
No. Today is Chihuahua appreciation day in the Royalty Thread. You're 'posed to hug him and squeeze him and call him "Haggypoo"

Can I call him "George" instead? :D

slcboston
01-04-2009, 12:20 AM
And fifth for me... :D

Beach Bunny
01-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Can I call him "George" instead? :D
Yes, but he might bite you in the ankle.

ChaosTitan
01-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Is it that time of year again? *sigh*tm

Let me say this: Absolute Write Water Cooler is a writers site. It is a site for writers to learn about writing and to connect with other writers. It's a site for writers, which is why we have the writing studio forums, the genre forums, the Workshop, and other similar areas. It's also a site for connecting to/communicating with other writers,which is why we have the Pop Culture Compendium and Coffee Break.

The whole "this is a serious site/we need a place to play" circular argument comes out of the habit of some posters (and I'm not laying accusations or naming names) not limiting their "playing" to the appropriate areas. Writing-related threads are derailed into off-topic silliness on a fairly regular basis--some folks don't mind, but others do and feelings get hurt when posters return to their thread to see twenty posts of sex jokes instead of helpful discussion.

It's not difficult to look and see which forum a thread is in before you post. There is great value in playing, absolutely. But consider: when Mom used to tell you to come in from the sandbox, you didn't purposefully carry handfuls of sand into the house and throw them on the furniture, did you?

Williebee
01-04-2009, 12:24 AM
"Bugger seriousness for a game of soldiers"

OK, that's just a cool phrase.

My response to objections like these is usually "F3H" (F@#k 'em & Feed 'em Fish Heads.)

That said, let's remember that, for those folks who think that OP is no place to be, AW welcomes them, as well. AND has a place for them to be productive and successful.

The degree to which we are different or the same varies from member to member. The degree to which we tolerate and embrace those differences is what makes THE difference... what keeps the place alive, interesting, and useful.

And so I say unto thee... Go forth, Be different, and write.

(or? F3H.)

ETA: Or, what the Titan said. :)

Beach Bunny
01-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Is it that time of year again? *sigh*tm

Let me say this: Absolute Write Water Cooler is a writers site. It is a site for writers to learn about writing and to connect with other writers. It's a site for writers, which is why we have the writing studio forums, the genre forums, the Workshop, and other similar areas. It's also a site for connecting to/communicating with other writers,which is why we have the Pop Culture Compendium and Coffee Break.

The whole "this is a serious site/we need a place to play" circular argument comes out of the habit of some posters (and I'm not laying accusations or naming names) not limiting their "playing" to the appropriate areas. Writing-related threads are derailed into off-topic silliness on a fairly regular basis--some folks don't mind, but others do and feelings get hurt when posters return to their thread to see twenty posts of sex jokes instead of helpful discussion.

It's not difficult to look and see which forum a thread is in before you post. There is great value in playing, absolutely. But consider: when Mom used to tell you to come in from the sandbox, you didn't purposefully carry handfuls of sand into the house and throw them on the furniture, did you?
That's a separate issue from what I was talking about. And what I meant when I said there is a time for silliness and a time for seriousness. My personal opinion on silliness outside of Office Party, is that if you are going to toss some silliness into your post, then contribute something serious as well. If you just have to go there (and usually I can't resist) then add a serious bit, don't just post a silly comment. I know from personal experience that there is nothing more frustrating than to ask a question and not get a helpful answer. Regardless of whether the repliers are being goofballs or not.

What's been happening is that the people annoyed with the playing around in serious threads are coming into Office Party and snarking at us. I've received several reps from people who mostly post in OP saying "Bravo." As I told RT earlier this afternoon, I'm to the point of wanting to throw heavy crockery at the next person who does it. I snarled in the Royalty thread about it last night and someone asked me to start the discussion over here. So I did. :)

And really getting rid of Office Party is probably the worst solution to the problem of people being silly in a serious thread. If you take it away, the goofballs will have no where to go and the silliness will be even more prevalent in the serious threads. :Shrug:

ChaosTitan
01-04-2009, 01:05 AM
That's a separate issue from what I was talking about. And what I meant when I said there is a time for silliness and a time for seriousness.

It don't think you can separate it from your issue, because it points directly at one of the reasons why some people dislike Office Party. If you're going to call people out for having an opinion on a particular forum's value to AW as a whole, you have to consider the basis of that opinion. Blindly pointing fingers because you've reached a certain level of frustration over the issue isn't helpful.

And really getting rid of Office Party is probably the worst solution to the problem of people being silly in a serious thread. If you take it away, the goofballs will have no where to go and the silliness will be even more prevalent in the serious threads. :Shrug:

Which is why NO ONE with any influence in the decision is talking about getting rid of OP. People snark, people start rumors, people let off steam. That doesn't mean anything will come of it. There are folks here who would like to see P&CE go away for good. There are folks who'd like to see all non-writing related forums go away. There are folks who like the board just the way it is. As Williebee said earlier, we are all different in our needs and we have to tolerate each other as best we can.

But really, you take your fear of closing OP and put it to rest. Bury it in the ground, cover it up, and forget it ever existed. Cuz it's not going anywhere. :)

Mr Flibble
01-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Ya know the thing is..thing this is writing is a solitary business. We feel isolated when we write.

And to be able to take a little break from the exploding turnips and post something really daft is a great release valve - especially with people who have the same problem. And I too feel unqualified to answer - but do anyway cos I can't shut up , even IRL. :D

And I've actually met several people from here - found my writers' group here in fact ( Hi guys! Be gentle with me come the end of the month k?)

Ohh my five minutes are up!

*shoves pencils up nose and underpants on head*

Wibble!

vixey
01-04-2009, 01:06 AM
I consider 'playing' in the Royalty thread a chance to build upon a story that someone else started. Most of us have positions (see my avatar) that force us to in to role playing. We often play there 'in-character' and you never know what another character is going to throw at you. It's a chance to be creative, silly, provoked, mean or whatever emotion feeds the situation at the time.

As for writing, many of you may know that Royalty's Halloween week mystery is being serialized by 3 of the writers in that thread with lots of collaboration with other writers. I've enjoyed being one of those writers. For me it's become a writing prompt.

Ken
01-04-2009, 01:22 AM
agree here with the Office Party forum being valuable for the reasons that have been stated. It can be an inspiration at times and also a means of increasing ones creativity and spontaniety, and also leds to the formation of aquaintances and friendships :-)

Another reason OP is valuable, at least to me, is that after a bout of writing I find it relaxing to participate in an OP thread to unwind. It's similar to a lounge or cafeteria room in an office building where one can go to take a breather and regain ones strength, and chat and get to know ones coworkers and of course to slap on the feedbag and chow down :P

CACTUSWENDY
01-04-2009, 01:33 AM
I don't know who was saying the bad things about OP...but when I first joined AW....back before indoor plumbing....I was PMed with a very curt mess., from a long time member, that since this whole forum was viewed by serious writers that I best keep my comments on a higher plane. (etc.)

For a long while I did not post much any where on the forum. But as time went by and more joined up I saw that I was not the only one that enjoyed the act of cutting loose once in awhile.

I still not not play too much, but do find a few good laughs around new corners all the time. Do and say what you feel is right. If it is wrong know that someone will see that is not seen by many. Until then....have fun and love your fellow man/woman.

Again...this is only IMHO. <<<<<<<<<<wonders off......

Beach Bunny
01-04-2009, 01:33 AM
It don't think you can separate it from your issue, because it points directly at one of the reasons why some people dislike Office Party. If you're going to call people out for having an opinion on a particular forum's value to AW as a whole, you have to consider the basis of that opinion. Blindly pointing fingers because you've reached a certain level of frustration over the issue isn't helpful.

My problem is people coming into Office Party and being snotty to me because I am not a "serious" writer. Their problem is that people are derailing the writing discussions into silliness. The solution to my problem is for "serious" writers to stop coming into Office Party and slapping at me. The solution to their problem is for people to stop derailing threads with silliness, not go over and slap at the people in Office party. So, combining the two together, and doing a root cause analysis and a problem solving analysis, the solution to both problems is for people to stop derailing writing threads with silliness. And I am 100% behind that as I stated earlier.

Which is why NO ONE with any influence in the decision is talking about getting rid of OP. People snark, people start rumors, people let off steam. That doesn't mean anything will come of it. There are folks here who would like to see P&CE go away for good. There are folks who'd like to see all non-writing related forums go away. There are folks who like the board just the way it is. As Williebee said earlier, we are all different in our needs and we have to tolerate each other as best we can.

But really, you take your fear of closing OP and put it to rest. Bury it in the ground, cover it up, and forget it ever existed. Cuz it's not going anywhere. :)
:) ... As I already said, I know Mac isn't going to close down Office Party.

This has been a good discussion for me (I don't know about the rest of you.)

If I'm getting slapped at by people frustrated by silliness in the writing threads, then my bringing it to your attention is a good thing, yes? Now, you know it's beginning to boil over into other forums. And the moderators can do something to head it off before it explodes. I'm not going to tell you how to do that. All I and at least half a dozen others in OP want is for the bitch slapping to stop. We're not the cause of your problem. :)

kuwisdelu
01-04-2009, 01:49 AM
Pshh getting rid of Office Party is silly.

I love playing.

But personally I try to stay out of OP, because--with the amount of time I spend on the rest of this place--if I do in there for too long, I *know* I'll never get out.

More power to those who can!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-04-2009, 02:05 AM

This could quite possibly be the most important two paragraphs written today on this subject.

My problem is people coming into Office Party and being snotty to me because I am not a "serious" writer. Their problem is that people are derailing the writing discussions into silliness.

If someone is being snotty to you because because you're not a serious writer, it's time to use the 'report post' and/or use the 'ignore' function.

The solution to my problem is for "serious" writers to stop coming into Office Party and slapping at me. The solution to their problem is for people to stop derailing threads with silliness, not go over and slap at the people in Office party. So, combining the two together, and doing a root cause analysis and a problem solving analysis, the solution to both problems is for people to stop derailing writing threads with silliness.

Amen. Amen and hallelujah.

I might also suggest, with all seriousness and respect, if you're a one-trick pony and the only contribution you can come up with - no matter what the subject - is sex... please, please, please, PLEASE, for the love of all that's holy!, branch out! Get a new shtick! Office Party isn't the place for talkin' dirty, trollin' for titillating discourse, or testing the mods to see how far you can push the envelope.

All I and at least half a dozen others in OP want is for the bitch slapping to stop. We're not the cause of your problem. :)

You PM me with a list of those who are 'bitch slapping', and I guarantee the 'bitch slapping' will stop. This type of public taking-to-task isn't likely to do bupkis toward ending your trials and tribulations.

Rolling Thunder
01-04-2009, 03:15 AM
This doesn't really belong in roundtable. Moving to TIO.

Silver King
01-04-2009, 03:19 AM
I spend most of my time on AW in Office Party, and I'm not seeing where folks are getting bitch-slapped or belittled for posting there. Maybe it's a matter of perception, but unless I'm completely senseless, I haven't seen it happen to the original poster, or to anyone else.

If you feel uncomfortable or demeaned in any way, the proper thing to do is to discuss your feelings with the mods of that forum, a Supermod or Mac herself. Starting threads and listing vague accusations against mystery members is really not the way to solve anything, except if your goal is to create ill-feelings, spread unfounded rumors or make others feel paranoid for no reason.

Ironically, this thread belongs in Office Party, not Roundtable.

ETA: Didn't see RT's post until now, and yeah, TIO is a better venue for this discussion.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-04-2009, 03:21 AM
Beach Bunny wanted a wider - more serious - audience.

William Haskins
01-04-2009, 03:37 AM
a second post about this? who are these people persecuting others for fun? or, more ludicrously, calling for the axing of OP.

this seems like a tempest in a teapot.

Phoebe H
01-04-2009, 05:01 AM

I've been to boards without off-topic areas. They're dead.

It's the off-topic chatter that gets people in the habit of coming back and gives you enough traffic to have lively and meaningful on-topic conversations.

Alan Yee
01-04-2009, 05:28 AM
Most of my posts recently have been in Office Party. I do read lots of writing-related forums, such as SF/F, Novels, and Horror, but I often don't have anything helpful to say or anything that hasn't been said by someone with more experience. I wouldn't take advice from a 17-year-old, either. ;) I have learned, and continue to learn, a lot at AW. It has given me more self-confidence in my writing and also given me a place where there are people with similar interests. But really, until I have more life experience, done enough writing, and made some sales, I feel like I don't have much to contribute that's helpful at all. OP is also a good stress-reliever, which is a great thing for me.

Bravo
01-04-2009, 05:58 AM
i'd like to see the women in OP dress more professionally.

some stilettos and tight skirts will help me take them more seriously.

William Haskins
01-04-2009, 06:05 AM
it didn't help me take you any more seriously. though i admit the garter was a nice touch.

shakeysix
01-04-2009, 06:08 AM
serious writers? here at AW? i had no idea--s6

Alan Yee
01-04-2009, 06:17 AM
seeryus ritters? watz dat?

vixey
01-04-2009, 06:35 AM
i'd like to see the women in OP dress more professionally.

some stilettos and tight skirts will help me take them more seriously.

Check out my avvie.

Cassiopeia
01-04-2009, 02:27 PM
I agree that OP is an important part of the forum for all of us. I also think people should keep their personal bias about a poster to themselves or take it to pm. It does ruin a thread when bickering happens and the personal slander starts up.

At the same time, I'm tired of the raunchiness that permeates way too many threads in OP and find it leeching into other parts of AW. I mean come on people there has to be a more original way to be funny than to drag smut into every freaking thread.

Okay so every freaking thread was an exaggeration but you get my point. No?

It's occurring so much that it SEEMS like it's in every thread I visit.

Beach Bunny
01-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Okay. I was feeling rather upset last night that the topic I wanted to talk about: The Value of Playing to a Writer, got derailed into my having personal issues with someone and/or a rumor that they were going to close Office Party and or the value of Office Party. :( ... don't come in here pointing fingers, slamming people, pissing in their pool, :(.

Having now reread my original post and understanding human nature, I see that what I posted originally is the root cause of what happened here last night. *headdesk* So, I have edited my original post to make it more clear. I am reposting it here, so you won't have to go back and read the marked up version, unless you want.

I said most of this last night in the Royalty Thread. I was asked to come over here and repeat it.

*climbs up on soapbox*

Playing is vitally important to one's physical and mental health and creativity. If you aren't playing, then you're probably hurt or depressed. Playing can help eleviate the pain and suffering that comes with being a human being. Too often as adults we forget to play or we scorn those who can still engage in childlike play. But, you know what, people who know when to play and when to be serious are much better off than people who are serious all the time or people who never grow up. Yes, I can act like an adult when it is necessary. I do it all the time.

I haven't been able to write anything worth a crap for a year. I have tons of ideas, but I have been stalled. Depressed and stressed out from all the shit that life has hurled at me. And let me tell you, a normal person would be broken by everything that I have HAD to carry for the past many years. It's a wonder that I haven't flipped out and been carted off in straight-jacket.

Finally, after playing around for the past month I am listening to music again. I'm a dancer. Music is food for my soul. I'm also an artist. And this past month, I've picked up my pencils and sketchbook. They've been put away for six months or more. And I've been thinking about polishing up a few of my short stories and sending them out. And a few days ago, I revisited the "what the heck do I do with my style of writing" question. And because of that conversation, I gave a copy of my story to my niece and asked her to have her friends to read it. Get some feedback on that potential market. And NONE of this would have happened if I hadn't been able to come here and play with my friends.

Furthermore, relaxing and playing with others can open a door to creativity. There have been many times that I have been playing around in a thread, that someone has posted "Holy Crap! That just gave me a great idea for a short story! or my wip!" and run off to write it down. I personally have found inspiration for stories and characters from playing with people online. If it doesn't work for you that's fine, I would like to remind people of the stock answer to all writing questions: "Do what works for you." And for some of us playing around works. :)

*climbs down off soapbox*
:)

*sends crew to the roundtable to clean up the piss I left in their pool* :)

William Haskins
01-04-2009, 09:46 PM
yeah.

these sort of things nearly always end up as far less of an observation on the community as a whole, and far more often a personal confessional.

if you're justifying your behavior as a result of being called on it by the people who run this community, that's one thing. but i don't think that's the case.

it seems to me you're simply magnifying a random comment or two to create a spotlight for telling everyone about the obstacles you're bravely overcoming in your personal life.

there's nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want to do. but don't frame it as some sort of nebulous persecution or invisible oppression here that's hindering your pursuit of some psychological nirvana.

robeiae
01-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Where is this "Office Party" which you all speak of?

William Haskins
01-04-2009, 11:05 PM
here (http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm)

robeiae
01-04-2009, 11:08 PM
here (http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm)
Thank you (http://holamun2.com/files/images/mun2-images/freejoles/eat-me.gif).

William Haskins
01-04-2009, 11:11 PM
sure. (http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl302/texts/hobbes/leviathan-contents.html)

scarletpeaches
01-04-2009, 11:15 PM
You guys are a pill. (http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/doriangrayspictures/Funnies/Fukitol.jpg)

robeiae
01-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Drugs are never the answer (http://www.geocities.com/ron8318/roadtrip2004/rt_moose_jaw_sign_1a.jpg).

scarletpeaches
01-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I appreciate the advice. (http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/doriangrayspictures/Funnies/Nicecupof.jpg)

robeiae
01-04-2009, 11:34 PM
It's why I'm here (http://p-userpic.livejournal.com/57593651/1083869).

William Haskins
01-04-2009, 11:35 PM
can any goddamn thread around here not be hijacked by runaway silliness??

Cassiopeia
01-04-2009, 11:38 PM
can any goddamn thread around here not be hijacked by runaway silliness??you started it and I'm tellin'!

scarletpeaches
01-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Has Haskins been formally blamed yet?

I mean in the sense of "I'm flouncing because of him?"

robeiae
01-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Formally embalmed, maybe.

Cassiopeia
01-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Has Haskins been formally blamed yet?

I mean in the sense of "I'm flouncing because of him?"Ha! Haskins is one of the reasons I haven't flounced yet.

And let me just say that Fizzy has been a quiet behind the scenes mentor for me and I wouldn't have gotten through this last semester without him. :D

Snowstorm
01-05-2009, 12:07 AM
The trick is - take writing seriously.

Not yourself.

WELL said!

William Haskins
01-05-2009, 02:15 AM
i don't know. it has an axiomatic ring to it, but it seems fraught with its own brand of peril.

Silver King
01-05-2009, 04:11 AM
...Having now reread my original post and understanding human nature, I see that what I posted originally is the root cause of what happened here last night. *headdesk* So, I have edited my original post to make it more clear....
That's very uncool. You are manipulating this thread by changing what you said yesterday to better suite your needs today, which now skews all of the responses (more than sixty!) you received before those edits.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but in general, you should stand by what you say, or admit that you were wrong in the first place. Coming back here a day later and attempting the lamest "do-over" imaginable will make others question your sincerity every time you post.

If this thread were in Office Party, I'd lock it right now because the respondents have been misled, and the discussion tainted by the changes made to the original post.

Rolling Thunder
01-05-2009, 04:21 AM
Dino's right about this thread needing to be closed. I think all that needs to be said, has been. Time to let this one sink into the abyss.