PDA

View Full Version : Hi. Just Hi. From Me. The Person Who Is New. Very New.

JennaGlatzer
12-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Hello there,

I seem to have posted a few times before finding my way to this here Newbie board to introduce myself, but Jed has convinced me it's better late than never, so... ahem.

Hello.

My name is Jenna and I like Sarina and cookies.

Sarina is my daughter, and cookies are cookies. They are both excellent. Chocolate chip. Not raisins. Not (bleh) oatmeal.

I am thirtymffmfffe, and I dislike doing dishes. I have trouble finding a pair of jeans that don't gap in the back and give tall people a peep at my underwears.

I am shorter than most people expect. My favorite color is red. My daughter thinks I am DeeDee Doodle from the Doodlebops, hence she calls out, "That's Mommy! That's Mommy!" whenever DeeDee starts to sing. I let her think it because DeeDee has an awesome voice. Awesomer than mine.

I drink a lot of fruit-flavored tea. I read mostly memoirs and biographies and practical nonfiction.

Joss Whedon is my hero, and Buffy and Angel are the greatest television serieses ever to exist in the history of the universe and you cannot be my friend if you disagree with me the end.

I'm in the middle of a heinous divorce and custody battle, and it has annihilated my entire concept of justice.

I have discovered I'm a pretty old fashioned girl, not to be confused with Ol' Fashioned Girl, though I don't mind being confused with her, because she is cool.

I write books. With words in them. I try to put all the words in the right order.

My latest book is The Marilyn Monroe Treasures, and it's just about sold out, so you should snap it up RIGHT NOW at your nearest Barnes & Noble if you can find it. Otherwise, I have to hope they'll reprint it fast. Can't believe they let it sell out right before the holidays. *Shakes fist at publishing industry.*

I do not drink alcohol and I have always been a bit on the nerdy side. I very much hope to have more kids, and to find a man who is awesome, not in that order. I also hope to find more cookies.

I have extremely dry hands. I don't have a single real celebrity crush, but if I were a guy, I'd have a crush on Jessica Alba.

Nice to meet you. This sure looks like a nice site. I think I might stay a while.

:hi:

P.H.Delarran
12-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Nice to meet you, Jenna. I sense that you and this board are going to have a long and beautiful relationship.
p.s. I have a really good chocolate chip cookie recipe that I will share with you, just cause Dee Dee Doodle sings better than you, so you will bake better than her.

jennifer75
12-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Glad to know you.

I too, have very dry hands. As we speak I have three cracked finger tips. I'm down a few, I had about 6 a week ago.

I'm a nail biter, so this doesn't help. How, you ask? Well, who wants dirty fingers in their mouth? Not I. So I wash, wash, wash. Dry, dry, dry. Crack, crack, crack.

Welcome. Good luck. :)

DamaNegra
12-31-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi, Jenna! Nice to meet you :)

jvc
12-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Hello there,

I seem to have posted a few times before finding my way to this here Newbie board to introduce myself, but Jed has convinced me it's better late than never, so... ahem.
Wow, another Jenna, cool :D .

And yes, better late than never. It only took you over 9000 posts before you finally got around to starting an intro thread. That has to be some kinda record for sure.

(You know you had me trawling through 250 odd pages of newbie threads just to see if you had made an introduction before. It turns out, you haven't)
Hello. My name is Jenna and I like Sarina and cookies.

I suppose I should do this right. Okay. Here goes.

Greetings and welcome to the watercooler Jenna :welcome:

You've come to the write place for all your writing needs. Don't forget to read the newbie guide (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315), which is in a sticky thread at the top of the Newbie Forum. Any problems you can PM me and I'll see if I can help. If you have general questions for the moderators (mods) then you can also PM them privately, or in fact post in the Super-Dooper Newbie 'Ask the Mod' thread. The link is below in my sig line. Again, if you haven't already checked out the newbie guide, you really should :D . There's a wealth of info there, and it will probably make navigating Absolute Write a little easier.

Sarina is my daughter, and cookies are cookies. They are both excellent. Chocolate chip. Not raisins. Not (bleh) oatmeal.
Sarina is such a pretty name. And she's so cute too.
I am thirtymffmfffe,
I didn't get that? Thirty...?

and I dislike doing dishes. I have trouble finding a pair of jeans that don't gap in the back and give tall people a peep at my underwears. Which is why I keep following you around the shops :D

I am shorter than most people expect. My favorite color is red. My daughter thinks I am DeeDee Doodle from the Doodlebops, hence she calls out, "That's Mommy! That's Mommy!" whenever DeeDee starts to sing. I let her think it because DeeDee has an awesome voice. Awesomer than mine.
No idea what that is at all. At least I'm not admitting I know what it is. I don't I tell you. I don't. Stop shining that light in my face.

I drink a lot of fruit-flavored tea. I read mostly memoirs and biographies and practical nonfiction.

Joss Whedon is my hero, and Buffy and Angel are the greatest television serieses ever to exist in the history of the universe and you cannot be my friend if you disagree with me the end.
Although I, of course, agree with you wholeheartedly, Kelly disagrees with you on that. She thinks some silly programe called Fireworm, or something like that, is the best ever.

I have discovered I'm a pretty old fashioned girl, not to be confused with Ol' Fashioned Girl, though I don't mind being confused with her, because she is cool.
And really sexy for an OFG too :D

I write books. With words in them. I try to put all the words in the right order.
Trying is good. Doing is of course better. But you've come to the right (write) place to get some help with word order and whatnot. We have a great forum for Basic Writing Questions (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175) which can come in handy. We also have a brilliant Grammar for Grasshoppers (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=111) forum, which you also find helpful.

My latest book is The Marilyn Monroe Treasures, and it's just about sold out, so you should snap it up RIGHT NOW at your nearest Barnes & Noble if you can find it. Otherwise, I have to hope they'll reprint it fast. Can't believe they let it sell out right before the holidays. *Shakes fist at publishing industry.*
Bad publishing industry. Bad I say. Bad. Grrrrr.

If you needed some feedback on your work, which is always helpful, you could try posting some in our Share Your Work (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26) forum (the password is vista). The critiques can be harsh sometimes, so prepare yourself for that. Everyone means well, though. Their goal is to get you the best novel possible and to get it published. Also, it does help to bring them cookies :D . Also, you could critique some of the other members' work too. It is surprising how that can help with you own.

Something that can sometimes let a writer down, when they have a great novel that is well written and plotted, is the query letter and synopsis. You could try posting yours in the Query Letters & Synopses (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174) part of the Share Your Work Forum (password is vista) to get some feedback on that. Ya never know, it may help.

When your search for agents to represent you and your books begins, I would recommend two sites: www.agentquery.com (http://www.agentquery.com/) and also www.querytracker.net (http://www.querytracker.net). Searching for agents and publishers can be tricky, and knowing which are good and which, well let's just say may not as good, can be even trickier. The Bewares and Background Check Forum (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22) should help you with this. Something I would recommend for everyone who is searching for a pubisher/agent is to check them out first. If only everyone did, there would be a lot less heartache afterwards.

Also check out the Ask the Agent (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58) forum for help with agents and such. We have Nathan Bransford (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53863), who is our resident agent, and Jennifer Laughran (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115508) as a guest agent answering agent related questions at the moment.

I do not drink alcohol and I have always been a bit on the nerdy side. I very much hope to have more kids, and to find a man who is awesome, not in that order. I also hope to find more cookies.
Well, I am awesome, love kids (although couldn't eat a whole one) and I also have lots of cookies :D . Did I mention that Buffy and Angel are simply the best shows ever? :D :D :D :D

(although Stargate really is best show ever, but you wont find out that until afterwards and then it'll be too late, Bwahahahahahahahaha)

I have extremely dry hands. I don't have a single real celebrity crush, but if I were a guy, I'd have a crush on Jessica Alba.

Nice to meet you. This sure looks like a nice site. I think I might stay a while.

Plus, if you haven't stopped by the terrific Newbie Question of the Day thread yet, then don't forget to pop in and have a go at answering a few of the really easy questions (the link is in the sig line below). They are easy. Yep, they are. And it's so much fun. :D

Oh, and do you like double choc-chip cookies?

Nickie
12-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Nice to know you at last a bit better, Jenna!

Nickie

aruna
12-31-2008, 01:15 PM
:welcome:

You'll love it here! We're a pretty nice bunch.

sadron
12-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Hello and nice to meet you. :)

triceretops
12-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Oooooh, another babe to hit on....

Tri:D

alleycat
12-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Welcome to AW.

There are some really strange people here, but I think you will enjoy it.

regdog
12-31-2008, 03:28 PM
Greetings and :welcome:

CACTUSWENDY
12-31-2008, 04:14 PM
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

C A Winters
12-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Hi ya! Welcome to this place, Um...well, okay. :) :e2coffee:

Rolling Thunder
12-31-2008, 04:50 PM
*makes note to keep an eye on the newest troublemaker*

donroc
12-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Pleased to meet you.

Ken
12-31-2008, 05:33 PM
yer an okay cat ;-)

joyce
12-31-2008, 05:34 PM
:welcome:Nice to meet you. You remind me of someone else I met here.:D Your daughter is as beautiful as her mommy and I do believe mean people get their punishment in the end. Waiting for it to happen is the pain. Enjoy your stay.

vixey
12-31-2008, 07:18 PM
Hi, Jenna! Where would this board be without you? :tongue

brad_b
12-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Welcome, Jenna, from someone who's a lot newbier than you (though if posts in Office Party counted I'd be a lot closer to your post count.) Congrats on your book, though one would think if a book has done well the publishers would be on the ball to make more available. Still, you are on the right track when you have such an issue, so keep writing and we'll look forward to your next one as well as the next printing of The Marilyn Monroe Treasures. Ummm...welcome aboard?

willfulone
12-31-2008, 09:24 PM
Seems a good time - new year and all - for introduction. For, each year - does not everything seem a bit newer - even if tis the same? In some ways, I think yes.

And, each day, we are all new with our waking. And a clean/fresh slate to work with. Even when we are geared to do the same, there is always something new. No, I do not talk on a new grey hair or wrinkle...but just a newness. Maybe tis a rebirth daily of hope in good.

Hope tis always new and fresh for there is always something to hope on. Especially when a hope has been met - we move that aside for a new.

Welcome to AW.

Pleasure to meet you.

Good luck and here's hoping all good comes your way.

Christine

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-31-2008, 09:32 PM
I don't mind being confused with Jenna, either. :) She's pretty cool, too. But it's easy to see how we're confused one for the other - we're almost twins.

(I wish!)

:D

KTC
12-31-2008, 09:35 PM
You're a Froot Loop. I say you can stay. What the hell...I'm feeling very generous.

Welcome, Jenna!

Susan Breen
12-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Nice to meet you officially. I'm shorter than people expect too, even when I'm wearing four inch heels, which is really discouraging. Best wishes for a very happy New Year.

Madisonwrites
12-31-2008, 11:05 PM

Posted a few times? :ROFL: !

I have the same problem with jeans. I think a lot of women do.

Is that your daughter in your avi? She's cute! :D

Cranky
01-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Short women of the world, UNITE!

Welcome, Jenna. :D

JennaGlatzer
01-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Thank you all for your warm welcomes. Jed, thanks for showing me around. I'll sure read that Newbies Guide. Sounds very helpful.

I do, in fact, enjoy double chocolate chip cookies.

By the way, if there's anything else you want to know about me, just ask.

Beach Bunny
01-01-2009, 03:08 AM
:ROFL: That has to be the longest welcoming speech I have seen Jed make. :ROFL:

Was this a test to see if people actually read the first post? :)

:welcome: Jenna, watch out for Rolling Thunder he likes to shmoo people.

Susie
01-01-2009, 05:50 AM
Hello, Jenna, very nice to meet you. You sound like a fun person! I bet you'll enjoy it here. :)

jvc
01-01-2009, 06:11 AM
Thank you all for your warm welcomes. Jed, thanks for showing me around. I'll sure read that Newbies Guide. Sounds very helpful.
Yep, you make sure you do cause you sound like a trouble maker :D
I do, in fact, enjoy double chocolate chip cookies.
I have some waiting for you I baked especially :D
By the way, if there's anything else you want to know about me, just ask.
That I could ask on a public forum? I'll have to think about that one.

jvc
01-01-2009, 06:16 AM
:ROFL: That has to be the longest welcoming speech I have seen Jed make. :ROFL:
I do try on occasion :D

Was this a test to see if people actually read the first post?
I sometimes do get the impression that some may not read the intro threads and just post standard - :welcome:

And although I am not saying that's a bad thing, as it's still a welcome and I do appreciate you all welcoming the newbies, as I'm sure they do too. But it would be great if everyone started chatting to Newbies and each other in these threads. It may get the newbies out of their shells and make them post more. That way they feel extra welcome and learn how to post, instead of just one-time-only in their welcome thread and then never again. I set that challenge for all welcomers for 2009. Any takers? :D

brad_b
01-01-2009, 06:44 AM
Well not everybody raise their hands at once. Let me see, a non-paying job that means long hours at the front door in all kinds of weather figuring out how to get new folks to talk and post. Sure, why not, I'll do what I can, though when I'm writing you might have to install a bell so I know when someone walks in. I don't care much for the two tone chimes like at the brick and block company I go to a lot; one of those cute bells dangling above the door that rings cheerfully would be okay.

willfulone
01-01-2009, 07:40 AM
I do try on occasion :D

I sometimes do get the impression that some may not read the intro threads and just post standard - :welcome:

And although I am not saying that's a bad thing, as it's still a welcome and I do appreciate you all welcoming the newbies, as I'm sure they do too. But it would be great if everyone started chatting to Newbies and each other in these threads. It may get the newbies out of their shells and make them post more. That way they feel extra welcome and learn how to post, instead of just one-time-only in their welcome thread and then never again. I set that challenge for all welcomers for 2009. Any takers? :D

Crapper! You just rained on my parade. For 2009? My goal was to post in brevity - rather than lose all my wind first half of year and gasp rest.

I guess, I will just keep posting my long winded thingies.

Though, I intend to point anyone irritated directly to you JVC.

Christine

willfulone
01-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Well not everybody raise their hands at once. Let me see, a non-paying job that means long hours at the front door in all kinds of weather figuring out how to get new folks to talk and post. Sure, why not, I'll do what I can, though when I'm writing you might have to install a bell so I know when someone walks in. I don't care much for the two tone chimes like at the brick and block company I go to a lot; one of those cute bells that hang above the door that rings cheerfully would be okay.

Sorry, executive decision made while you were out to lunch. Two toned chime was installed. Sorry. Maybe you can put in a requisition Nov 2009 to have change made for 2010?

Good luck with that!

Christine

Beach Bunny
01-01-2009, 08:08 AM

No.

Oh, all right ... maybe.

slcboston
01-02-2009, 03:29 AM
*fulfilling a New Year's Resolution to be nicer*

Welcome to the asylum! :welcome:

(for the record -you don't look anything like Dee-Dee to me... Moe, maybe... but not Dee-dee)

slcboston
01-02-2009, 03:32 AM
I set that challenge for all welcomers for 2009. Any takers? :D

Oh great, another resolution.

*sighs*

*adds it to the list*

Danni
01-02-2009, 04:28 AM
Halloo, Jenna! Your little girl is TOO adorable... how old is she? Precious!
Since you are a fan of cookies, I don't suppose I could tempt you with a warm fudgy brownie, now could I?

Jersey Chick
01-02-2009, 04:36 AM
Hi Jenna!! :welcome:!

I also have dry hands. Dry hands, dry feet, dry skin in general. I have a crush on Keith Olbermann because any guy who can give me bad news but still make me laugh is absolutely crushable. I like penguins and Calvin and Hobbes. I live in New Jersey, but don't feel sorry for me cuz I actually kinda like it here. I have been known to set my hair on fire when things drive me completely batty and if you ever need a lighter, I'm your chick!

I hope you like it here - it's a fun place... :D

oh - and I also like smilies and LOLCatz....

jvc
01-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Halloo, Jenna! Your little girl is TOO adorable... how old is she? Precious!
Since you are a fan of cookies, I don't suppose I could tempt you with a warm fudgy brownie, now could I?
I don't think so Danni, the lady said Cookies, and this lady is not for turning. :D

JennaGlatzer
01-02-2009, 05:43 AM
Now hold on just a minute there, Mr. Jed.

Brownies, you say?

I'm yours.

SLC, I know I don't look anything like DeeDee. I'm not sure where she got her impression that we are one and the same, except possibly my animated expressions. However, I *have* had her hair color. Come to think of it, I've also had Moe's and Rooney's hair colors. I miss being a teenager.

jvc
01-02-2009, 06:01 AM
Now hold on just a minute there, Mr. Jed.

Brownies, you say?

I'm yours.

I have chocolate fudge cake too :D

JennaGlatzer
01-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Well, now I'm torn. I'll have to sample them both, first.

cooeedownunder
01-02-2009, 12:00 PM
:hi: seen you around a long time ago - I thinks you were the boss girl..nice to meet you offically

Yeshanu
01-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Well, now I'm torn. I'll have to sample them both, first.

Well, since people are really slow off the mark here, I'll be the first:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h190/Yeshanu/chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg

I mean, really! What's the good of promises if you don't follow through?

Danni
01-02-2009, 10:51 PM
I don't think so Danni, the lady said Cookies, and this lady is not for turning. :D

I have chocolate fudge cake too :D

Mmmm, hypocrisy? Changing tunes there awfully quickly, Jed. :tongue

Ibpurpledragon
01-02-2009, 11:22 PM
I am a very newbie at least here, in life I've been around a few blocks. Enjoyed your blog, divorce and abuse suck. I have a free story on my web site that is directed to preschoolers, titled when Daddy hits Mommy. Check it out, it may help your beautiful daughter to understand what is going on. www.bentrim.info
Bill aka ibpurpledragon

Bluestone
01-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Hi Jenna. That was a nice intro. And good for those of us who haven't been around as long as others and don't know you that well. I didn't do an introduction either when I joined up waaaay back last year, and perhaps I should have, although I've had plenty of feedback and nice warm fuzzies from people on other threads.

Thanks for starting this wonderful website. It's a godsend to us all as we toil away in isolation and - for many of us - relative obscurity.

:Hug2:

PERSEVERANCE
01-03-2009, 12:06 AM
I would love to know just how (tall) you are as I have a definciency in the height category too, though I am told I make up for it with my tenacious nature (not sure if they are being unkind) but it sounds good! I remarried at 42 and can honestly say I have found my soul mate at last! Keeping seeking and ye shall find!

Great to meet you.

Shadow_Ferret
01-03-2009, 01:50 AM
Welcome aboard.

Haven't we met? You look awfully familiar.

WackAMole
01-03-2009, 02:13 AM
Hello Jenna!

Wierd! I think you were handing over the reigns to Mac when i first came in.

Nice to read a bit more about you! (Justice happens btw and yes, it's pretty sweet when it does though sometimes it takes longer to come around than we think it should!)

Funny, my 15 year old and 6 year old got me started on the whole Buffy phenom. Got to agree with you, they are the best. Went out to the store and bought all 7 seasons along with some chips and popcorn and had a movie weekend with my girls. It was probably the best weekend ever! (Then we got this idea that we should also watch all the Angel series too, and you can guess what happened! heh)

Chocolate chips are the very best. My youngest recently outgrew the doodlebops and now thinks they are kinda wierd :/

(BTW I sure hope you include really cold milk with the choccie chips because otherwise, you lose coolness points :P)

Lets see, what else....oh yeah, being nerdy is most definitely a cool thing to be. This place is full of the coolest nerds ever.

Nice to see you again. That kid is adorable...and do you EVER get tired of sniffing their cute little heads? I have a thing for sniffing my little ones head...the 15 year old has too many hair products now and I dont care to get aqua net on my nosehair :/

JennaGlatzer
01-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Cold milk, definitely. I'm drinking some now, in fact. :) And I'm a big-time head-sniffer, too.

Perseverance, I'm closing in on 5' 4". If I stand very, very straight.

Bluestone, thanks!

Thank you, too, Bill. I'll check out your blog.

Yeshanu, yummmmmm!

BenPanced
01-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Oh. It's you.
VVVVVVVVV <--icicles on my word balloon
(I do mean that in the nicest way possible. Here's a smilie to prove my intent: :e2zzz: Wait. Wrong one...:e2tomato:...lemme try again...:e2chain:...oh, to phooey with great American culture...)

jamiehall
01-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Oh!

Silly, silly Jenna!

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

:Hug2:

MommaK
01-14-2009, 08:50 AM

Jenna,

Since I have this opportunity, I want to let you know how much I love your book. I have always been a fan of Marilyn Monroe, and growing up I tried to buy every book written about her. I can't believe more copies of your book haven't been printed either.

The week after Christmas, I believe, I was searching through the posts here on AW. I'm so happy that I came across one of your posts and noticed the link for the book. I just had to have it! Luckily, the closest Barnes & Noble, over an hour away, still had a copy. I was able to pick it up, and I love it of course. I'm so glad you included all the enclosures.

I'm still new here myself. I joined AW last year or the end of '07, but haven't been on here very much at all. I'm working on improving that as I get a little more organized.

Thanks,

Kristen