Multiple parts in a novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

EndlessDestiny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashlynwriting.tumblrcom
The book I'm working on has two parts to it. Part 1 is around 32K and part 2 has about 46K. How do agents/publishers feel about this sort of thing? Are these word counts good?

Danthia

Plenty of books are broken into parts. Usually it involves a time jump, but not always. As long as the break makes sense and it all works together it's fine.

Word count depends on your genre. 78K is pretty middle of the road, so you're likely fine with most genres. Might be a tad low for fantasy or historical fiction, but that's not a bad thing if the story is good.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
A good marketer with a mediocre product is still going to get the nod.

I'm sorry, what? You're suggesting that an excellent query with a mediocre novel backing it up is going to be successful? With all due respect-- THINK AGAIN.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm sorry, what? You're suggesting that an excellent query with a mediocre novel backing it up is going to be successful? With all due respect-- THINK AGAIN.

I agree. A great query will get you read. But it won't get you the contract.

That's not to say every book published is a gem. There is some crud out there, but they're still better than 95% of what's being submitted (that makes you shudder and wonder: what DOES the slush pile look like?)

Reaction score

There are enough mediocre novels on the market to prove this is true. After a novel has been accepted, hype can do wonderful things for book sales. Just ask Dan Brown.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
A good marketer with a mediocre product is still going to get the nod.

Yes, if one is selling Amway, but a good agent is going to be seeking something she can sell to a publisher.

Nothing changes the basic rule that you have to write words that are worth buying.

I had the worst query in the world. I knew it, the editors knew it. But once my writing got up to snuff that changed everything.

It took me two years, 25 rewrites on chapter one and 2-3 full rewrites of the whole book (on a MANUAL typewriter, yet), but I sold that first book.

Absolutely yes, TERRIBLE books get into print. I know for a fact that my writing is miles better than several undeserving hacks on the NYT list, but it's a part of the industry that s**t happens. You just keep writing.

I can drop the hint that helped me to sell that first one:

Make sure your opening is such that it will distract a tired, bleary-eyed slush pile reader from a subway full of muggers and cause her to miss her stop home.

When that happened to me she took my 50 pages and synopsis up the food chain to the senior editor.

Thankfully they ignored my horrible query letter and bought the book.

And just so you know--after more than 20 novels sold I STILL can't write a good query!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes, if one is selling Amway, but a good agent is going to be seeking something she can sell to a publisher.

Nothing changes the basic rule that you have to write words that are worth buying.

I had the worst query in the world. I knew it, the editors knew it. But once my writing got up to snuff that changed everything.

It took me two years, 25 rewrites on chapter one and 2-3 full rewrites of the whole book (on a MANUAL typewriter, yet), but I sold that first book.

Absolutely yes, TERRIBLE books get into print. I know for a fact that my writing is miles better than several undeserving hacks on the NYT list, but it's a part of the industry that s**t happens. You just keep writing.

I can drop the hint that helped me to sell that first one:

Make sure your opening is such that it will distract a tired, bleary-eyed slush pile reader from a subway full of muggers and cause her to miss her stop home.

When that happened to me she took my 50 pages and synopsis up the food chain to the senior editor.

Thankfully they ignored my horrible query letter and bought the book.

And just so you know--after more than 20 novels sold I STILL can't write a good query!

Great story. Thanks for sharing it. Now I will forever imagine readers on subways whenever I'm sending mine out. (-;

Status
Not open for further replies.