gay MCs in fantasy novels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasmagoria

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good fantasy (or sci-fi) novels with main characters who happen to be gay/lesbian? I don't know of many besides Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner, and Octavia Butler has at least one series with a bisexual (shapeshifting!) MC... and uhh... well, there's Storm Constantine, but... let's just say she has interesting ideas and a poetic style of writing, but is not the greatest author. Plus the main body of her work concerns magical hermaphrodites, which, far as I last checked, isn't the same thing as "gay"... (I for one would gladly take the magical powers, however. Helps muchly accomplishing sooper-sekrit "gay agenda" ;D)

Now that I think of it, if anyone knows of any well-written stories with transsexual or gender-bending MCs I'd love to read that, too.

Just kind of wondering what's out there!

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While the main series doesn't have a gay main character, Ukiah Oregon is the son of a lesbian couple (series by Wen Spencer). In the third book (Dog Warrior), the co-main character is gay.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Mercedes Lackey wrote the first gay characters I can remember in fantasy. Pretty good series, too. Tanith Lee, too, but I never really got her stuff. Didn't enjoy it that much.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um, my books were nominated for Spectrum Awards. They have a transexual character and a lesbian relationship at the center of the story.:)

(And, I hear the author is transexual)

Phantasmagoria

Registered
Reaction score
wow so many responses already! :) thankies everyone. I'll have to look into these books (Diana Hignutt, congrats on the award nomination, and I'll definitely have to check out your stuff!)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No! You must be, like, some kind of insider! (Snicker.)

Maryn, unable to resist (but she thought of you immediately)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I literally have a bookshelf full. Drop me an email and I can send a list and let me know if there is any particular type you like.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
In Ian McDonald's River of Gods, one of the POV characters (there's like a gabillion of them) is non-gendered by elective surgery. Tal was my favorite character, though I never was able to wade all the way through that book.

Nicole

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Aha, ha! I knew the name...I knew it!

It was the first fantasy book I had read with a gay character...first book I had read with a gay character at all. I remember being disgusted at the time.

18 year old me feels sorry for 14 year old me. He didn't know what he was missing (I.E, guys are hot, as I have discovered)

Anywho...the book...was called...

I can't remember. But I do know it was by the same person who did The Color of Distance.

So, if I google that...then go to Amazon...

Daha!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IOEW6G/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

Story Teller. Awesome book!

Funny side note: The world is a water planet called Thalassan or something, and that was the exact same name as a water planet in Total Anhillation...which makes me wonder if Amy Thomson has played Total Anhilation. And if she did, why hasn't she written a book based off THAT. Oh right...the complete lack of characters, over-abundance of giant robots and explosions.

Right.

Last edited:

MelancholyMan

Wear Thick Armor
Registered
Reaction score
Probably not much in the mainstream simply for the fact that by NOT having a gay character you alienate no one, while having a gay MC alienates a large percentage of potential customers. J.K. Rowling's announcement that Dumbledore is gay notwithstanding because she didn't say that until AFTER she'd published her final in that series. Now I wonder why she wouldn't have said something earlier?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Sarah Monette, another Spectrum winner, has a lot of LGBT-themed fantasy - her Doctrine of Labyrinths quartet features a gay male MC and homosexuality seems common in the setting.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I haven't forgotten about this but have some craziness I am dealing with at the moment. I will have some lists to post of good gay fiction in various genres (at least according to my tastes)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A great resource for this sort of thing is:

www.gbltfantasy.com

They have news, reviews, recommendations, etc.

And, for example,ahem, regarding Lynn Flewelling's The Bone Doll's Twin, eRik at GBLT fantasy had this to say:

The Bone Doll's Twin is an exciting fantasy that charts Tobin's childhood and early adolescence as he becomes the warrior he's destined to become. Despite the insufficient treatment of Tobin's gender identity (and the often distracting and baffling use of accent marks in names), Lynn Flewelling weaves a glorious coming-of-age tale with her excellent fantasy storytelling. For fantasy that better explores gender identity issues, try Moonsword by Diana Hignutt.

Phantasmagoria

Registered
Reaction score
I just want to say thank you, again, to all of you who have posted to this thread with recs and resources- so helpful! Haven't heard of some of these authors, which is awesome- I love discovering new ones :) Tanith Lee's great (how did I not know about Death's Master? will have to get that!) and I just bought China Mieville's Iron Council because of this thread (love Perdido Street Station, though I haven't finished it yet and it's the only novel of his I've yet tackled).

I haven't forgotten about this but have some craziness I am dealing with at the moment. I will have some lists to post of good gay fiction in various genres (at least according to my tastes)
veinglory, I totally understand (my life= undergoing some crazy right now as well). Thanks for the update and I hope everything's okay. The whole "according to my tastes" thing? Precisely what I was after by posting this here :) Taste is so subjective, but I guess I was curious as to what gay fantasy fic. people found memorable/worth a rec.

Probably not much in the mainstream simply for the fact that by NOT having a gay character you alienate no one, while having a gay MC alienates a large percentage of potential customers. J.K. Rowling's announcement that Dumbledore is gay notwithstanding because she didn't say that until AFTER she'd published her final in that series. Now I wonder why she wouldn't have said something earlier?
MelancholyMan, are you saying no one will read my vampire-centric fantasy novel featuring lesbian luv (assuming it ever gets published, lol)? :) I know authors run a risk when they include gay characters, but we queer folk like to see ourselves represented on occasion too- and I hope that as homophobia and transphobia become less prevalent over time, if a character pops up in a writer's head with a set orientation/ gender identity, that writer goes with it (and still stands a good chance of getting published/ getting good press). I hope that readers in general will become more accepting of fully rounded, complex, gay (and gender-bending) characters.

[Harry Potter geek hat on] Oh, and speaking of that thing with Dumbledore in the Harry Potter books? So irritating! I wish Rowling had just thrown in a casual mention of it in book 7 (wouldn't have lost much money that way, would she now?) or not even really bothered with it at all. Unimportant peripheral straight romances popped up all over the place, but she couldn't make one mention of Dumbledore's partner so-and-so, who died x years ago and whose magic photo is still in Dumbledore's office...? or whatever. She got so deep into Dumbledore's past in book 7, but all she gave was subtext, and I know they were "children's books" but that's all the more reason to include this, since Dumbledore was a role model for many in the HP-verse. Flawed as he was, it would have been nice of her to say within the books that a great and powerful wizard like Dumbledore was gay; especially for the GLBT youth who read her works.
[/end Harry Potter geekage]

Status
Not open for further replies.