Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Thank you Dawnstorm!

I had never seen it spelled with a "ph" before. Google is only as good as your ability to spell...

Reminds me of the comedian ranting about words in the dictionary.

"What good is a dictionary? It helps you spell words, but you have to know how to spell the word to find it. And it defines words, but if you don't know what the word that defines what you mean IS.... HOW ARE YOU GOING TO FIND IT?

Let's say I want to know how to spell "hat?" How do I find that in the dictionary? "H" "A" "T" ah, there it is... H A T. Huh.

Let's say I want to know what that thing is that you keep on your head, what's it called? oh yeah, a hat. Let's see, hat, hat, hat... A thing you keep on your head.

Just freakin' great."

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Look up Spelljammer

that setting use sphere type space setting with each solar system bubble surrounded by phlogiston.

It's flammable (for the love of god, DON"T let him cast fire ball!) and bad things live in there.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Just you wait. I won't tell you anything about what I'm doing right now until this shizzle is farther along.

Someday, though, Dawnstorm, you will have a crazy story to tell your kiddies about that one time that famous author couldn't spell phlogistan for that one thing...

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Someday, though, Dawnstorm, you will have a crazy story to tell your kiddies about that one time that famous author couldn't spell phlogistan for that one thing...

Psst... "phlogiston". ;)

It's not the most common of words, though, is it? I only know about it from science theory.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
See? I still can't spell the stuff.

I need a research assistant. Also, a pony. (I hear research assistants like to ride around on ponies.)

eLfwriter

Indiscriminate Tree-Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
phlogiston ... I think I remember that from one of my classes last year ... uh ... *thinking gears go into motion* Pretty sure that's the hypothesis of fire as a physical substance as opposed to an energy, right? Or are we just using it as a 'omg don't throw the fireball spell!!' thingie?

Yeah, I'm a lot of help (;) winks in double sarcasm)

Reminds me of the comedian ranting about words in the dictionary.

"What good is a dictionary? It helps you spell words, but you have to know how to spell the word to find it. And it defines words, but if you don't know what the word that defines what you mean IS.... HOW ARE YOU GOING TO FIND IT?

Let's say I want to know how to spell "hat?" How do I find that in the dictionary? "H" "A" "T" ah, there it is... H A T. Huh.

Let's say I want to know what that thing is that you keep on your head, what's it called? oh yeah, a hat. Let's see, hat, hat, hat... A thing you keep on your head.

Just freakin' great."

hehehee ... this reminds me of me trying to use a thesaurus. I can remember a big word like 'capitulation' but 'capitulation' isn't the word I want to use, and 'they surrendered by way of negotiating terms' seems a little wordy. So I pull out my wonderful thesaurus ... but 'capitulate' isn't in there, and 'surrender' comes up with 'unconditional surrender' and ... wait for it ... 'captiulate'. What the freaking hairspray addict sort of answer is that??

So I move on. I'm clever. I'm not going to let the thesaurus beat me.

I look it up in the dictionary to see if there are other words describing capitulation that will help me think up a synonym for capitulation since my stupid thesaurus, which is supposed to think for me, isn't helping. But what does the dictionary say? 'To surrender unconditionally'. Grr.

I give up and decide to use the word 'yield'. End of story.

... and then after all that page-flipping and hard decision making, I get frustrated, log onto AW where all the wonderful people hang out, and vent on the nearest thread.

Dingding! We have a winner for eLfy's vent-of-the-day thread! Yay!

... BTW, 'phlogiston' isn't in my thesaurus either. Closest I've got is 'plegm' (spittle, sputum, mucus ... see SALIVA).

... ... ... Remind me again why I bought the thesaurus?

Gahk.@_@ *rolls eyes in defeat and stomps off to pout in a corner*

Status
Not open for further replies.