PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Grandmother Passed away in Honolulu

Stew21
11-04-2008, 01:13 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/

Not a full story yet, just a breaking news headline.

Don
11-04-2008, 01:20 AM
Too bad that she didn't live to see her grandson win the election at least.

Stew21
11-04-2008, 01:22 AM
Yes. The timing of it, huh?

Potentially one of his highest moments and one of his lowest within a day of each other.

aruna
11-04-2008, 01:32 AM
And thank goodness he took time off from the campaign to visit her. He'd have never forgiven himself if he hadn't.

JoNightshade
11-04-2008, 01:34 AM
Oh man, how terrible. How sad she didn't get to live to see the outcome of the election. Yes, I agree, it's good he went to visit her.

whistlelock
11-04-2008, 01:35 AM
Bitter news indeed.

Sheryl Nantus
11-04-2008, 01:40 AM
:cry:

May she rest easy with the angels...

:(

Bravo
11-04-2008, 01:47 AM
soo close.

very sad, but at least she lived to see him get this far.

ClaudiaGray
11-04-2008, 01:59 AM
Really tragic for her and for him, but how grateful he must be that he took those two days to visit. I guess it's a good lesson for all of us in not taking for granted that fate will work for our convenience, and do what's most important today.

Elaine Margarett
11-04-2008, 02:09 AM
How sad. I like to think she already knew in her heart the scope of his achievements.

Plot Device
11-04-2008, 02:33 AM
This is indeed sad. The fact that she never lived to see the results of the election was also my first thought.

And now for a difficult question:

When will they hold the funeral?? I suspect tomorrow is far too soon. So tomorrow Obama will be grieving for his grandmother in the midst of all the votes being tallied. What an odd thing for him to have to face: the quient fretting over the election amid the process of grieving his grandmother. What human being has ever gone through anything like THAT?

Will he and family fly to Hawaii TOMORROW?? Or wait until after the election?

Wil they hold the funeral on Wednesday? Or Thurday? Or even put it off until possibly Friday or Saturday? Will he and his famiuly be standing graveside in Hawaii after he has lost the election? Or after he has won? Again, what an odd mixture of emotions.

If I had written a Hollywood script with that unbelievable mix of emotional fabric, the producer would have tossed my script in in the trash can.

What a situation.

billythrilly7th
11-04-2008, 02:42 AM
If she truly died today instead of 10 days ago that makes me very very sad that she missed by 24 hours.

Just awful.

So sad.

They couldn't keep her alive for 24 more hours!!!??

maestrowork
11-04-2008, 03:26 AM
Yes. The timing of it, huh?

Potentially one of his highest moments and one of his lowest within a day of each other.

I can't imagine what he would be feeling -- I know he was extremely close to the woman who helped raise him.

If he won, there would certainly be regrets that he couldn't share that with some of the people he loves (both his mother and now grandmother) the most.

If he lost, the emotional weight would probably be extremely unbearable.

It was good that he went to see her -- I agree; life is like that. You never know. Better seize the day and tell those we love how much we love them... when you have the chance. At least she saw him get this far, and no doubt in my mind she "knew" he would succeed.

Sweetlebee
11-04-2008, 03:28 AM
CNN just showed his live speech in NC where he had tears rolling down his face as he spoke of her.

Shweta
11-04-2008, 03:32 AM
Oh how sad. :e2cry:
I had been hoping she'd manage to hold on just a couple more days.

Southern_girl29
11-04-2008, 03:57 AM
This makes me so sad. My grandmother helped raise me, and she died last year. I know that pain, but I can't imagine what he must be feeling in regards to her loss and the election. The emotional feelings must be overwhelming. I wish she could have lived a few more days.

kuwisdelu
11-04-2008, 04:01 AM
:(

I can't express how sad that is. I hope he can hold up through tomorrow.

selkn.asrai
11-04-2008, 04:02 AM
God be with him in his pain. How sad. :(

Snowstorm
11-04-2008, 04:49 AM
How awful and sad. Like others posted before me, here, on the brink of making history in such a wonderful way and at the end of a grueling two-year process, topped with terrible sadness.

My sincere condolences to him and his family.

Bravo
11-04-2008, 05:06 AM
If she truly died today instead of 10 days ago that makes me very very sad that she missed by 24 hours.

seriously?

you're going with this line in this thread?

dgiharris
11-04-2008, 05:07 AM
Wow,

there aren't words to describe how much that sucks. At least, she knows that he will win. The polls are on his side (yeah I know they aren't absolute). But she could at least die in peace knowing that he is going to win. Still, just 24 hrs. God, 24 little hours in the day.

Amazing what a day can bring or not bring. Its been so long since i've actually 'cared' about a political candidate. I have to admit, I've drunk the kool-aid, I believe the hype, I dare to hope.

And so it feels so very personal and I feel for him. God be with him and his family.

As for the funeral. Standard Practice to hold the funeral 3 - 5 days after a death, so I would imagine this coming weekend

This is so said, don't think I could take a speech of him talking about her and crying. Not that I would cry, I'm too manly of a man to cry. But I'm sure if I watched it, a mote of dust would fly into my eye illiciting an allergic reaction resulting in tears.

I wish him and his family well.

Originally Posted by billythrilly7th

seriously?

Seems Obama hatred/cynasism knows no bounds. gotta get that jab in.

Mel...

astonwest
11-04-2008, 05:51 AM
Condolence to Obama and his family at this time...as mentioned, it does drive home the point of making sure to spend time with the ones you love while you can.

maestrowork
11-04-2008, 06:48 AM
CNN just showed his live speech in NC where he had tears rolling down his face as he spoke of her.

Here's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5oMY6_kCoo) at YouTube.

RIP, Toot.

billythrilly7th
11-04-2008, 06:55 AM
seriously?

Just doing my impression of the loony far left.

Hey, loony left, when is that moment when the White House announces having captured Bin Laden?

It's getting late in the game.

billythrilly7th
11-04-2008, 06:56 AM
Seems Obama hatred/cynasism knows no bounds. gotta get that jab in.

Apparently you missed my Obama endorsement thread and also have no sense of comedy/sarcasm like Bravo.

Gobama!!!

Bravo
11-04-2008, 06:58 AM
"in comedy, never blame your audience"

billythrilly7th in 2006

billythrilly7th
11-04-2008, 06:59 AM
seriously?

P.S. I love these R.I.P threads that people take so seriously as if the Obama family will be reading them.

"How could you do this in this thread? Oh my god!"

:rolleyes:

G.O.BAMA!!! Roll tide!!

billythrilly7th
11-04-2008, 07:00 AM
"in comedy, never blame your audience"

billythrilly7th in 2006

It was a dead on satirical impression.

And read my quote right below "'nuff said."

'Nuff said.

Bravo
11-04-2008, 07:01 AM
eh, youre just rusty billy.

it happens to everyone.

billythrilly7th
11-04-2008, 07:03 AM
So rusty that after one post I have people like you screaming "How could you?!!!"

If anything, I've never been more powerful and on.

Very Thrilly '04ish.

mscelina
11-04-2008, 07:03 AM
P.S. I love these R.I.P threads that people take so seriously as if the Obama family will be reading them.

"How could you do this in this thread? Oh my god!"

:rolleyes:

G.O.BAMA!!! Roll tide!!

I was buying into it until the 'roll tide.'

Then you lost me. Horribly. I may never forgive you.

billythrilly7th
11-04-2008, 07:06 AM
R.I.P GrandBama

May you watch from heaven as your grandson makes history tomorrow night and know that the angels from heaven, with your help, shall guide him in his wisdom and give him strength to deliver us from the depths of hell. The promised land is over that mountain, beyond the river and in the fields of gold.

R.I.P. Grandbama

Seriously.

Good job.

blacbird
11-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Apparently you missed my Obama endorsement thread and also have no sense of comedy/sarcasm like Bravo.

Just not a moment or a topic conducive to comedy/sarcasm, Trilzo (from somebody who's probably caught more crap for sarcasm here than anybody). Any comedian will tell you that timing is everything. Your timing is bad.

caw

billythrilly7th
11-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Just not a moment or a topic conducive to comedy/sarcasm, Trilzo (from somebody who's probably caught more crap for sarcasm here than anybody). Any comedian will tell you that timing is everything. Your timing is bad.

caw

It was a pointed, very subtle attack on the whack jobs I've had to deal with for 8 years and a heartfelt sadness.

Just awful.

So sad.

They couldn't keep her alive for 24 more hours!!!??

A perfect balance. It's what I'm best at.

Stop making this thread about me.

We've lost a very special lady 24 hours too early.

Thank you.

blacbird
11-04-2008, 07:52 AM
It was a pointed, very subtle attack on the whack jobs I've had to deal with for 8 years and a heartfelt sadness.

Accepted, because I've known you a while. But the "heartfelt sadness" part was a little hard to see, initially.

caw

nighttimer
11-04-2008, 11:12 AM
The point in expressing sympathy isn't that anyone expects Barack Obama and his family to read them on this board.

It's just what decent human beings who know what it means to lose someone do.

My sympathies go out to the Obama family who on the verge of a dazzling success have suffered an awful loss.

Then, there's the others who find the most inappropriate moments the perfect moment for some unwanted, unneeded and unfunny attempt at "humor."

There's one in every crowd who wants to put the lampshade on their head and tell jokes when nobody but them thinks that kind of shit is funny. For those types, the gratification comes not from the lame humor, but the attention they get for their tasteless and vulgar behavior.

Probably a strong indicator of some unresolved issues where they didn't get enough attention as a child. Who knows? Who cares?

ErylRavenwell
11-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Very tragic.

cethklein
11-04-2008, 04:58 PM
This is horrible. When I heard it last night, even I felt like the wind was knocked out of me. Can you imagine how anyone would feel if put in Obama's shoes right now?

astonwest
11-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Can you imagine how anyone would feel if put in Obama's shoes right now?Having your hopes and dreams (presumably...election isn't over just yet) come true, only to have it trampled on by tragedy? I think it's a more common occurrence than one might think...

dgiharris
11-04-2008, 05:50 PM
I'll give you a pass Billy (though you may need to take a course in apologizing :) ), have you been gone for a while? Haven't seen you around much. Did they put you on time out?

Mel...

SHBueche
11-04-2008, 05:56 PM
She lived through his nomination, beating Hillary to become the nominee and looking like he will win today. She sacrificed everything for Obama and what a wonderful story that he efforts paid off.