RIP: Tony Hillerman 1925-2008

stc

Registered
Reaction score
PHOENIX (AP)--Tony Hillerman, author of the acclaimed Navajo Tribal Police mystery novels and creator of two of the unlikeliest of literary heroes--Navajo police officers Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee--died Sunday of pulmonary failure. He was 83.

Hillerman's daughter, Anne Hillerman, said her father's health had been declining in the last couple years and that he was at Presbyterian Hospital in Albuquerque when he died at about 3 p.m.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jkWIgFSCVdlaAcFBGsoP9_8a7apgD942KKLG1

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's a shame. I've enjoyed a number of his books. Be at peace, Mr. Hillerman.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
He'll be missed. He was always so supportive of new writers. He shared the world of the Navajo with the rest of the world.

I heard the news last night when I was at work. Later, I was taking care of a Navajo woman, and as she birthed, her family coached her in Navajo, and her baby was born hearing her beautiful language. I think Mr. Hillerman would have liked that.

The Hillerman Mystery Conference is next week. It will have a sad tone this year.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I had one of his books in my hand two days ago to check out from the library. But I realized I just don't have the time to indulge right now. I'm sorry I put the book back.

Midwife: what a beautiful happening. Thank you for sharing.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a longtime Hillerman fan and am also saddened.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Anyone know what is becoming of the Hillerman Prize? I don't know if he was the contest judge, or what, but supposedly, this is when the announce the winner.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Hi King,
They announced the 2nd Hillerman winner on Saturday night. According to the St Martin's guy, they will continue the contest, but they will be moving the deadline from July 1 to June 1 in hopes of giving the winner enough heads' up to travel to ABQ to accept the award.

I am halfway through last year's winner, The Replacement Child. I met the author at the Hillerman conference and she is delightful. I am enjoying the book.

My plan is to submit for the 2009 contest. Good luck to you!!!