Overloading your query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I was just mentally planning my query and realized a difficult I'd have to overcome. Fantasy worlds have so many names etc... that belong to that world alone, that the query letter can seem like complete gibberish to the agent. The governing body in my book is called the Seated Nine, but I'd likely have to say 'governing body' in the query. But saying 'governing body' sounds strange to me. Similarly the use of names for countries would have to be minimized. Did anyone else encounter such difficulties and how did you tackle them?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are MANY fantasy examples in the Query hell section of SYW. If you dedicate time to following some of the drafts and comments, you'll see how ppl tackled similar issues.

Also, if you haven't already, you can start with the basic Query formulas (X wants Y but Z is preventing it....) and go from there. See SYW again for more.

MagicMan

Registered
Reaction score
The names of places, worlds, secondary characters are not needed in a query. The purpose is to establish your Main Character in your voice, the plot, and characters that directly impact your plot (the antagonist). All this in 250 words if possible.

Smiles
Bob

The grey-elf Rasputin of Ranagar, Stalin of Evermore a dawdling dwarf, Lenin of Nevermore a hobbling old hobbit, and Gewabaloo of Bushmore a political human set out to find the source of terrorism in their world. After successfully squashing the source in Afganamore, their power barely tested, they continue to remove adversaries for political and financial gain. Sadamore falls quickly to the might of these heroes.

Can be stated as follows in a query;

Gewabaloo, aided by his friends squash the terrorist threat. Their greed pushes them to the war in Sudamore. Will there be more?

Smiles
Bob

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
The names of places, worlds, secondary characters are not needed in a query. The purpose is to establish your Main Character in your voice, the plot, and characters that directly impact your plot (the antagonist). All this in 250 words if possible.

Smiles
Bob

The grey-elf Rasputin of Ranagar, Stalin of Evermore a dawdling dwarf, Lenin of Nevermore a hobbling old hobbit, and Gewabaloo of Bushmore a political human set out to find the source of terrorism in their world. After successfully squashing the source in Afganamore, their power barely tested, they continue to remove adversaries for political and financial gain. Sadamore falls quickly to the might of these heroes.

Can be stated as follows in a query;

Gewabaloo, aided by his friends squash the terrorist threat. Their greed pushes them to the war in Sudamore. Will there be more?

Smiles
Bob

omg. I'm blown away.

Danthia

Fantasies are really tough to query because we all want to explain our world so agents "get" the setting. I did mine in a two-paragraph format. Para one set the scene and introduced the protag, explaining how the world and magic worked. I made sure to do this in a way that related to how that also affect my protag. Para two described the conflict, story and stakes.

This is also a common format for book cover jackets, so I'd suggest reading a bunch of those to get a feel for the sound and style. They make very effective query templates. Just remember that a book cover's job is to be vague enough to not give anything away, where you'd want to be specific in a query to show why your story is different.

For what it's worth, I just finished my cover copy with my editor (and a team of marketing folks) and that's the same format we used. Intro to world, intro to problem. We did use names and terms from the book (four of them if that helps), but only those key to the story and we made sure we explained them. You can say a lot in a few words, but the hard part is making those words explain and show conflict/stakes/story at the same time. So any made up words you choose should be ones where knowing what they are adds to the conflict/stakes/story and not just description.

Status
Not open for further replies.