It's not REALLY a prequel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
This is somewhat on the subject of what consititutes a "standalone" novel, and somewhat about a few questions I have on the reality of certain events.

First, I have a story set on a conworld around a period vaguely equivalent to the Renassaince, at least in basic technology and somewhat in culture. It's technically a fantasy I suppose, though the closest thing to magic are a few religious beliefs.

Now the real issue is that a story I'm thinking of working on takes place in the same world, though distanced in time and space by a fair amount. By the time of the second story, it may or may not exist mainly as a myth relevant only to certain religious figures and culture heroes. Basically, it's intended as a standalone story set in the same world.

On the reality of certain events:

The basic background of the story is that it revolves around a sort of religious revolution, where a country is divided into three religious factions, the nobility(sort of), and the commoners. These three religious factions center on each a certain "element"--yes, three of the four basic cliche elements: Earth, Water, and Fire. They spheres of the factions project somewhat beyond the traditional borders, but not much. As noted above, there is no actual magic on this world. Whether or not the religion is based on actual events is up in the air. Bascially, without going into details, Air is seen as the Wild Element, beyond the power of rites and such to effect. It might even be considered a bit "evil". An "Air cult" arises, which is brutally supressed by the Fire faction. The story revolves around this "cult" and its fortunes. The problem is, as someone whose religion could mabye be described as something close to "non-practicing Wiccan", I'm not exactly sure of myself where portraying a "realistic" religion such as those on good ole Planet Earth. How willing would readers be to buy into the fact that the characters believe in this fictional religion, and that certain events could conspire to give it credence, even if it isn't necessarily based in reality, even in my fictional world?

Oddsocks

Registered
Reaction score
The problem is, as someone whose religion could mabye be described as something close to "non-practicing Wiccan", I'm not exactly sure of myself where portraying a "realistic" religion such as those on good ole Planet Earth.
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking...at least, I'm not seeing any problems here.

What do you mean by 'realistic religion'?

Then again, I'm agnostic, so I may not be getting the impact of your point (having never followed a religion myself).

How willing would readers be to buy into the fact that the characters believe in this fictional religion, and that certain events could conspire to give it credence, even if it isn't necessarily based in reality, even in my fictional world?
Personally, I'd be willing to buy into this - as much as with characters having beliefs associated with their fictional culture, their fictional world, and so on. The idea that historical events may play into the mythology of a religion later on is interesting too - no worries there. The fact that the reader may know a bit about the religion that the characters don't (because of the prequel) shouldn't make the characters any less sympathetic.

You might want to look up the Second Sons trilogy, by Jennifer Fallon. It includes a world without magic, but in which there is a fictional religion, and characters who believe in that religion, and it also looks in to the extent to which the religion is true/its factual basis, etc. Could be useful for what you're doing.

Your factions sound like a great idea, by the way - I love air's being the wild one. :D

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Jacqueline Carey "made up" a situation much as you describe in her series that begins with Kushiel's Dart.

Vernor Vinge wrote two books that take place in the same "universe" (the Deep) but occur centuries apart in time.

Both authors were highly successful with their efforts. I see no problem attempting what you propose.

Danthia

I'm not sure I get exactly what you're asking, but here goes...

A stand alone novel is one that presents a story problem, spends the novel trying to solve it, and resolves that problem in the end. You could have two books set in the same universe, and as long as you could read either one and still understand the entire story and be satisfied, then they can both be stand alone novels.

Readers will buy into anything if you make it plausible. They read sci fi and fantasy to be taken to new worlds and fantastical realms. As long as those worlds are solid and follow credible rules and make sense, then you're fine. And by credible, I mean credible to the world you've created, not to what is "known." Things must make sense in context to what you've created.

Basically, you need rules, and then need to stick to those rules. You can't just pull things willy nilly out of thin air and say "this is the way it is because I said so" and expect people to swallow it. But if you give them reasons for it that make sense, they'll be with you all the way.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Well let's take someone who writes a lot and gets read a lot.

Are Cujo, Dead Zone and It part of a series? No. Are they set in the same fictional place or mention it ( ie Castle Rock)? Yes.

Are Night Watch and Weird Sisters in the same universe and do they reference the same things? Yes. Are they prequels / sequels? No.

All it means is you have a world which you are reusing. So what? As long as each story stands on its own, there is no problem. Granted people who have read all of them will have a better idea of the setting, but they don't need to.

The problem is, as someone whose religion could mabye be described as something close to "non-practicing Wiccan", I'm not exactly sure of myself where portraying a "realistic" religion such as those on good ole Planet Earth.

Um, that sounds like you don't think wicca is a real religion, but I think / hope that's just a little inclarity. Do you know the weird things that people have believed in over the centuries? Have you read some of the ancient religious sagas? Some people believe that if someone pulls your brain out of your nose after death you get to go to the afterlife.

Almost any religion can be made to read believable. The trick is in the crafting, as always.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Well let's take someone who writes a lot and gets read a lot.

Are Cujo, Dead Zone and It part of a series? No. Are they set in the same fictional place or mention it ( ie Castle Rock)? Yes.

Are Night Watch and Weird Sisters in the same universe and do they reference the same things? Yes. Are they prequels / sequels? No.

All it means is you have a world which you are reusing. So what? As long as each story stands on its own, there is no problem. Granted people who have read all of them will have a better idea of the setting, but they don't need to.

Um, that sounds like you don't think wicca is a real religion, but I think / hope that's just a little inclarity. Do you know the weird things that people have believed in over the centuries? Have you read some of the ancient religious sagas? Some people believe that if someone pulls your brain out of your nose after death you get to go to the afterlife.

Almost any religion can be made to read believable. The trick is in the crafting, as always.

Okay, so that's it on the first question. Thanks all.

As to the second, I wasn't quite as clear as I would have liked. I meant my focus to be mainly on the question of whether or not readers would buy that certain events such as "natural" phenomena occurred as the religion says without a definite statement on whether or not the religion is actually based in complete fact.

The issue comes about because at least part of the story focuses on the leader of the "Air cult", and his experiences. Certain events that inspire his founding of the cult are the result of what he claims to be actual happenings(they may or may not actually be shown in the story), and these events are miraculous, having mainly to do with the Element Air doing things. But as I mentioned, there is no form of magic in this world, so that these events occurred where and when they did would seem largely a matter of coincidence or divine intervention, whichever side of it the reader chooses to take.

What I was really asking was whether or not readers who chose to see the events as mere coincidence would accept them as part of the story, and not as plot devices to get the cult up and running. I don't really want to take a definite position as the author on whether or not the religious beliefs in question are factual within the fictional world or not. Unlike in arguments over something historical like the Bible, the events happen in the story's present, and therefore the reader sees/hears of them as they occur. If the reader chooses to take the position that the religious apsects of this story are merely inventions of the mortal characters to explain nature and history, then they may also feel that coincidences involved are too much to stomach.

Last edited:

Danthia

I echo IdiotsRUs. It's all about the character. If they believe, readers will believe. Look how many fantasy books ask you to believe in magic. It works in the story, people believe it, so readers believe it because in that reality, that's how things work.

The real vs make believe is trickier when you're doing urban fanatsy, but that's only because it's set in the "known world" so you have to adhere to the rules of this world. When you break them, you need a plausible reason to do so. But in a totally made up world, the reader only knows the rules you provide as the author.

Oddsocks

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with IdiotsRUs and Danthia. If your story is set from a person's, or some people's, perspective/s (so, not omniscient), then you can just work with what they believe. No one ever perfectly understands reality; everyone - in fiction and in the real world - has some beliefs that are false. But if you're writing from a perspective, you're free to deal with that perspective as it is.

And you don't have to uncover any objective truth behind events, so long as the character never does.

Also, if the events that are happening are too significant to be taken as coincidences, then that will lend credence in the character's mind to their interpretation of them as meaning something. If the story is a fantasy, the reader may also be inclined to agree with the character, because magic/the supernatural is common in fantasy. That may depend on just how coincidental the events are, though.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Well, inspiring a religion requires some amount of coincidence if you don't believe so much in religion. It's just that my most comfortable genre is magical fantasy in which religious beliefs do tend to be obviously and intentionally true and factual, so I'm a little unsure how to approach a religion that isn't necessarily based on facts or placed in the distant past. The story is fantasy in the broad definition. But the religions involve almost entirely (purported) sypathetic magic or (purported) magic from a divine source.

To Danthia in particular, the characters all generally believe in it, but it's not necessarily an issue of how the world works, as to how the characters believe it works. There are no rules. Only occurances and how the characters interpret them.

To Oddsocks, a good point about unreliable narrators. That's the route I mostly thought to follow. I never planned to discolse the objectve truth. But I want the possibility of doubt. Perhaps I'll have to introduce an agnostic, or even, God forbid, an atheist even in a minor character role.

Of course, I'm still going to have trouble deciding how much I can get away with. Predicting a storm maybe, calling one, maybe not so much.

Oddsocks

Registered
Reaction score
To Oddsocks, a good point about unreliable narrators. That's the route I mostly thought to follow. I never planned to discolse the objectve truth. But I want the possibility of doubt. Perhaps I'll have to introduce an agnostic, or even, God forbid, an atheist even in a minor character role.

Of course, I'm still going to have trouble deciding how much I can get away with. Predicting a storm maybe, calling one, maybe not so much.
One thing you might want to consider is how much the characters know scientifically. You could take some phenomenon that's pretty incredible, but which is real and which the reader understands - say, cyclones or tornados or something. Now, if your characters were to encounter one of these for the first time, and didn't know what it was, they might think it supernatural. If (and this is the kind of coincidence a reader might think entirely possible) it happened to, say, hit an enemy group's base and do significant damage, then that could be easily taken by characters as a sign/direct intervention/conscious activity.

Just an idea. Having a character call a storm, and having a storm appear, seems to me more likely to be taken as legitimate magic in a fantasy setting.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
One thing you might want to consider is how much the characters know scientifically. You could take some phenomenon that's pretty incredible, but which is real and which the reader understands - say, cyclones or tornados or something. Now, if your characters were to encounter one of these for the first time, and didn't know what it was, they might think it supernatural. If (and this is the kind of coincidence a reader might think entirely possible) it happened to, say, hit an enemy group's base and do significant damage, then that could be easily taken by characters as a sign/direct intervention/conscious activity.

Just an idea. Having a character call a storm, and having a storm appear, seems to me more likely to be taken as legitimate magic in a fantasy setting.

Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking. The issue though, is that if the group is being supressed on an ongoing basis, how likely is it that the events will occur at an auspicious time?

To your question, they have limited scientific knowledge. Yes, a tornado or cyclone has been an option I've seriously considered using. Perhaps I should look harder at using omens and portents than just actual miracles, seeing as this is not in any way a christian religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.