November book study- What fantasy book shall we read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. Just getting started early with this one since NaNo and the holidays are around the corner.

Anyone have a suggestion for a Fantasy book to discuss in November? Recent, well written, and popular books would be best, but mostly we just need a title that lots of people are interested in.

:D

Cheers

ELMontague

I might be up for a Dresden. One of the guys I work with says he knew the guy that wrote the series in high school. I presume we are talking about the Dresden files.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
I'm going to hold up Graveyard Book (Gaiman) because it just got released this week, and it's awesome.

(That and I'm currently on Blood Rites so shhhhh...)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and please don't forget an amazon (or similar) link folks. It saves a lot of repeat searching...

D- is Graveyard Book stand alone or at least capable of standing alone?

Tachyon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tachyondecay.net
I second The Graveyard Book.

It's a standalone book, an homage to The Jungle Book about an orphaned boy who is raised by the occupants of a graveyard.

Gaiman is actually on a book tour right now to promote it, and he's reading a chapter aloud at each stop. The cool part? The video clips of each chapter reading are posted online. So you can go ahead and listen to the first couple of chapters right now if you want.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
I second The Graveyard Book.

It's a standalone book, an homage to The Jungle Book about an orphaned boy who is raised by the occupants of a graveyard.

Gaiman is actually on a book tour right now to promote it, and he's reading a chapter aloud at each stop. The cool part? The video clips of each chapter reading are posted online. So you can go ahead and listen to the first couple of chapters right now if you want.

Yeah, I'm going to see him today and tomorrow.

And yes, The Graveyard Book completely stands alone.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I second anything by GGK :) Ysabel was particularly good though.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
You wanted a linky Baha so here we are: Storm Front is the first Dresden. It's definitely stand alone - in fact I'd go as far to say that most of them could be read in isolation.

Magic. It can get a guy killed. :) Think Sam Spade meets Gandalf. A really great voice.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I hate Gaiman's writing, personally, so that's a no from me. I love Dresden, and plowed through all ten in a week and a half, so that's a yes. The rest I'm not familiar with, but I'm always up for reading new stuff. :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. Anyone else?

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I'll vote for any Dresden novel, or even any of Butcher's Codex Alera series ( Furies of Calderon is the first one )

OremLK

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new here, but I thought I might as well throw out a couple suggestions and see if either of them stick with you guys :)

Mistborn: The Final Empire
by Brandon Sanderson and The Runelords: The Sum of All Men by David Farland are two great examples of how to handle a magic system in heroic fantasy. Magic is a great thing to examine if you ever want to write in the genre, and they're just generally good books (fairly stand-alone as well).

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alright, I'll be back later to set up the poll. Any one else wanna second a suggestion before then? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.