Status
Not open for further replies.

Elonna

I'm a dork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elonna.com
I'm so tired of evil wizards and the like. I want a new villain.

I'm trying to do some outlining for my NaNo and I keep getting stuck on the villain. Sure, an evil wizard makes it easy but it just kind of bores me. I considered a Lion King sort of theme with an evil brother to the unicorn king trying to over throw him...that would be more unique being a unicorn, but...just not sure. Any suggestions or villains you have that I can adopt would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Basic premise:
A MG/YA fantasy about a teenage boy who wakes up in a magical world ( i know it's just a little cliche hehe) and meets a unicorn on a quest to find her mysteriously missing sire, the unicorn king. However, there is no one there to say that he has a purpose in being there, no grand scheme for him to save the world as such ( though of course he probably will in the end, but more by accident than destiny or fate). So he joins the unicorn on the quest to find her father and of course discover some hideous evil plot afoot, etc.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How about something a little less 'on the fly' as the Lion King theme.

2 relatives want the throne. One conducts his business with an iron hoof, the other a kinder approach. Not evil, just getting things done. Whip 'em into line. But the ruthless approach, though not meant to be evil, has caused some dire consequences- BUT - also some good.

Rather than a brother, why not a sister? Or whatever. Something where the relative could argue he had a right to rule over the younger unicorn (maybe)

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc

Registered
Reaction score
Someone you don't first see as a villian, say a normal everyday person/unicorn in your story ... who obtains some special power and becomes corrupted in his own greed and wish to become "God"? He tries to gather followers to bow down to him, but your MC doesn't buy it and so they become enemies? :D

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
nice one glaze

i have always liked the good guy turning bad because of an obsession.
E.G. King David from the old testament, he wanted to keep his secret secret, so he sacrificed an army to do it.

if you want a good villain, use an obsession that seems noble and good at the start. such as saving his people. however, he goes to such extremes to do it that the people would rather die than be saved like that.

ya know what I'm saying don't you, make him smart and massively obsessive over something

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the unicorn that the boy wakes up to find is secretly on a quest for revenge/to overthrow her father...

Elonna

I'm a dork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elonna.com
Maybe the unicorn that the boy wakes up to find is secretly on a quest for revenge/to overthrow her father...

I considered something along those lines, I really did...but I love Kiki (nickname)...I can't make her the villain :tongue Well, maybe. That might be a possibility once I start writing.

Some good ideas you all, thank you. Any others, shoot 'em at me :D

mrockwell

Just another genre hack
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marsheilarockwell.com
Just FYI, "kiki" is the word for a part of the female anatomy in Tagalog (Filipino). I wanted the used the name in my WIP, but my Filipino hubby nixed that idea, LOL!

-- Marcy

Elonna

I'm a dork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elonna.com
Just FYI, "kiki" is the word for a part of the female anatomy in Tagalog (Filipino). I wanted the used the name in my WIP, but my Filipino hubby nixed that idea, LOL!

-- Marcy

lol, thanks for letting me know. I will have to remember to change it if I ever get it published in the Philipines. :D

Danthia

Who has the most to lose if your protag and the unicorn win? If there's a King, then there's a politcal power base and someone will be unhappy about those in power.

Hummingbird

Pen, Paper, Prepared. ...Write!
Registered
Reaction score

-- Marcy

In Japanese it means "chaos" or something similar. :D
I think that's why the girl in "Kiki's Delivery Service" was called Kiki. LOL

You could have it so that the king was accidently killed and the one who killed him went into hiding - and is going into great lengths to hide. Perhaps MC thinks that the accidental killer has the king captive.

Good luck with your story! :D

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know by what mechanism he got to that world, but you could have the villain be somebody else from Earth that the MC knows who got there a few years before. That might be interesting.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
another thing i have seen that makes a good villain, is not having him realize he is a bad guy. best that comes to mind is Javart from Les Mis

Selcaby

Writer of wrongs
Registered
Reaction score
Have you thought of not having a villain at all? Just a bunch of non-villainous characters with conflicting goals.

Maybe the antagonists want democracy?

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Hehe...

The villain is the main character. He see's this oppressive feudal society and seeks to over throw it and replace it with a democracy.

Just an idea.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Or the villain sees the existing democracy as non-democratic and wishes to establish democracy, which turns out to be democratic in the villain's eyes but non-democratic in everyone else's.

MagicMan

Registered
Reaction score
Pixies are mystical, sometimes evil, intelligent and ambitious. With the capability to fly and use magic, they may be a formidable foe to unicorns. In old myths, pixies are drawn to horses, so it is not a stretch to be drawn to the noble unicorn.

Smiles
Bob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.