Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My novel, tentatively called Spider Slayer, has been my top obsession for a while now. I have a skeleton draft done, and I've gotten the first chapter into what I consider acceptable shape.

On one hand, I am *DYING* for feedback. Does X work? Is it apparent that this is setup for a future event in the story? Is the dialogue convincing? Are the characters easy to identify with? Good feedback usually gives me my best ideas and helps to spawn my most polished work.

On the other, I usually don't handle feedback very well when I'm still writing something. That isn't to say I am abusive or closed minded about feedback; I mean that, if I get distracted by chapter one, I inevitably worry about getting it perfect--which makes me realize it isn't--which leads me down a dark chain of thoughts that eventually whisper, "Barty boy, you can't do this. You've been plum licked ahead of the game. Just stop." And that certainly isn't a place I like visiting.

Should I share now or later? I know I've shared the first chapter of this before--it is a vastly different animal now. You know how THAT goes.

-B, worrying about everything

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
What I say, of course, does not mean a whit about much. But, well, I figger - so what? Eh? I can tell you what I think anyway and if it makes sense, good, if not - no biggie.

My thought is to share now. You have convincing supporting argument you supplied yourself on this. You state that you do more polished work and spawn some better ideas with input early. How, can you consider NOT sharing when you know this of yourself? I get your hesitation with the input you receive. I can see where that is a burden to you. However, why wait until later, when you would have that much more to rework/rewrite if input revolves around this early stuff and you find (later) it must be corrected? Or what if an idea sparked by input later is so good, you find you have to change major portions of your story to incorporate your new slamming brain sparks?

You said it yourself, as hard as it is to accept, it promotes better work and writing from you. In the face of that, how can you NOT share now?

Good luck either way you go! I will root it works for you either way!

Christine

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Share now! Share now!

I shared immediately after completing Chapter One. The feedback made me change the entire plot into something much more unique. I strongly suggest sharing.

The Sandbox is invaluable too.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be contrary here, I guess. I can only tell you what I do--but I never share anything 'til it's complete and as perfect as I can make it without betas. I find that there is only so much, if any, useful feedback I can get before that point. So, personally, I wouldn't share it. But that's just me.

Danthia

Only you can decide that :) But I can ask question to help you do that.

Are you ready to start tinkering and revising or are you still fleshing out your first draft?

Do you want feedback to help you make decisions or show you specific things, like where you need more internalization or how much backstory to include where, or do you still need to connect the dots and figure out how things fit on al arger scale first?

Are you at a point where you're not sure what works and what doesn't and need fresh eyes and an objective opinion?

Do you have readers you can trust?

I actually have two levels of feedback. One crit group that is a first draft group where we crit as we go to work on macro-level stuff, and another that does the finished draft polishing. BOth are hugely valuable to me. You just need to find the system that works for you, and you won't know what that is if you don't try a few things ;)

Trust your instincts and do what feels right.

Doodlebug

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mscottfiction.com
I, for one, am s-o-o-o paranoid about sharing! Something that worries me is an unknown reader taking my work and claiming it for his/her own. (Okay, I'm not just paranoid, I'm as vain and possessive as hell about my ideas!!)

Also, would sharing on AW, for instance, mean that a work has been 'published'?

Just curious.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I, for one, am s-o-o-o paranoid about sharing! Something that worries me is an unknown reader taking my work and claiming it for his/her own. (Okay, I'm not just paranoid, I'm as vain and possessive as hell about my ideas!!)

Also, would sharing on AW, for instance, mean that a work has been 'published'?

Just curious.

Nope. See the stickies at the top of the SYW forum.

Plagiarism is also incredibly unlikely.

Hummingbird

Pen, Paper, Prepared. ...Write!
Registered
Reaction score

I'm with Doodlebug. I've had different projects stolen from me before I was finished (not writing), but I still worry about someone stealing my blood and sweat. The only people that I show are close relatives - until I'm finished and am submitting it around. I know it's not the best for feedback, but it keeps off the stress of worrying that it'll be stolen.

One thing that I have learned - original ideas shown at craft shows are usually seen in cheap stores a couple of years from then. You wouldn't believe how much of people's stuff I have seen in cheap stores that are lame look-alikes of the original. They are changed just enough so that they can't be sued. (Not blaming the stores - they get the items from different sources)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I'm going to be contrary here, I guess. I can only tell you what I do--but I never share anything 'til it's complete and as perfect as I can make it without betas. I find that there is only so much, if any, useful feedback I can get before that point. So, personally, I wouldn't share it. But that's just me.

Ditto, kct. I'm not a fan of writing by committee, and I need to immerse myself in a project in order to complete it. Sharing portions before the whole is complete is counterproductive to the way I work. My betas don't even get it until after I've done at least one overall edit of the finished piece.

I'm not sure what to tell you, Bart. On one hand, you say you're dying for feedback, but then you say you don't handle it well while still writing something. To me, that says you shouldn't share. But YMMV.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I decided to post it, and now I kind of regret it and kind of don't. The two replies confirmed my fears about the character intros. I listened to someone a while ago who told me to stay in tight 3rd person POV. I just don't do my best work in that voice. I've decided to chug on in filling in my skeleton, and rework what i've already done later.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Danthia

This has nothing to do with your question, but I always wrote in tight third myself, and then I started a novel where the protag just screamed at me to write first person. I'd never tried first person because it's not an easy POV to do well, but I went with the muse.

Lo and behold first person is totally my POV. I never would have found that out if I hadn't experimented. You might consider rewritting your opening scene in the various POVs and see which one feels right ;) You might do what I did and discover first is your style, or maybe third omni does it for you. Or you like a looser third.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with your question, but I always wrote in tight third myself, and then I started a novel where the protag just screamed at me to write first person. I'd never tried first person because it's not an easy POV to do well, but I went with the muse.

Lo and behold first person is totally my POV. I never would have found that out if I hadn't experimented. You might consider rewritting your opening scene in the various POVs and see which one feels right ;) You might do what I did and discover first is your style, or maybe third omni does it for you. Or you like a looser third.

I don't mind if the thread derails to POV. The topic itself isn't really pertinent anymore, unless we wanted to talk about the value (or lack thereof) of sharing our work before it's complete.

I actually think I need to find a compromise between Omni and Tight 3rd. Because I'm SO USED to injecting the character's thoughts into the way the scene is presented to the reader, that I've actually got a narrative problem slipping FROM Omni INTO tight 3rd -- which is, I believe, the opposite of the common POV error.

I'm thinking I may use a lot of Italicized 1st person thought for my two protagonists. That way I can be in Omni, and when I want the reader to see what's going on in the MC's head, I can just go to the headcam, so to speak.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Finished the damn thing.

20,000 words in one non-stop 14 hour burst. Yes, 20,000.

I'm going to go chop both hands off now.

Kirby

Destined to serve and roam.
Registered
Reaction score
As much as I appreciate feedback, I question what's considered published. Some of the agents that I've submitted my manuscript to have stated that a writer shouldn't bother querying if any part of his/her book has appeared on the web, magazine, or in any other media.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
As much as I appreciate feedback, I question what's considered published. Some of the agents that I've submitted my manuscript to have stated that a writer shouldn't bother querying if any part of his/her book has appeared on the web, magazine, or in any other media.

I've sold two stories that I also posted in our SYW forum, prior to selling them.

Also, there's this.

Even if you post your entire, finished novel on the internet, for free, you've only destroyed your first publication and first internet publication rights. With a stellar story, you could still sell plenty of rights.

Fortunately, our SYW board is password protected; so you're not publishing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.