The October Book Study- Sci Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
***ETA: Please see other thread***

Alright, the book study torch has been officially passed to me. I will try not to let the power go to my head.

First, another thank you to Broken Fingers for setting up the book study. He did a wonderful job getting the project off to a running start and will still be around to participate.

Now, September is quickly passing, so check in early and often please. I think we'll start the specific book voting on Friday (depending on how fast the suggestions roll in). I will try to provide 3 or 4 choices. As per this month, we may not start the discussion thread until a week into October. By November we should be on a more stable schedule.

Now that that house cleaning is outta the way. What SciFi book would we like to read and discuss in October? Please provide a link to amazon or similar so we can judge the book by its cover read the description. You may also put why you loved the book (or what you heard about it)

Guidelines- It must be a popular book that helps us study SF from a writer's perspective. It should also be readily available at bookstores and libraries which loathe stocking SF :)

Let the fun begin!

Cheers,
Christina

Last edited:

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
It's been so long since I've read Dune that I don't actually remember much of it. And we have a copy, so it's definitely doable for me, which is a plus. For me, anyway. ;) So, yeah, I can get behind that. :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oooo, that's a shame Dune's so aged. I've not seen the TV stuff or read the book(s).

Wait, I have a suggestion. No, wait, that's horror. Bugger. (I am Legend)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe we should pillage the Hard SF thread for some ideas... or if we're lucky, those folks will come to us ;)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or space ships and particle generators? ;)

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe Alistair Reynolds?

The Prefect

or maybe

Pushing Ice, which I've already read and loved. Good Hard SF, but has deep interpersonal relationships also.

Nicole

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Here is my suggestion ,sorry both are a bit old ,but still good

More Than Human ,By Theodore Sturgeon
or maybe
The Fifth Head of Cerberus ,by Gene Wolfe

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd vote for something newish and hot (yet available in paperback) in SF right now:

Tobias Buckell
-I love his stuff, and I think it would appeal to both SF and fantasy fans.
John Scalzi-funny military SF in the tradition of Heinlein and Haldeman
Charles Stross-he's huge right now, but I'm not that into his books. Lots of stuff about the singularity. I'd give him another try for sure.
Rainbow's End by Vernor Vinge-fairly literary but also hard SF, with modern political themes too. I have much love for this book.
World War Z by Max Brooks-I thought this would be silly/stupid, but it's actually engaging, inventive, hilarious, adventurous, and heart-breaking. Plus I thought the narrative technique is interesting (the plot is made up of different episodes in the history of a war that a documentary maker is learning about in various spots around the world, yet it forms a cohesive whole). Plus, Mel Brooks' kid!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Here is my suggestion ,sorry both are a bit old ,but still good

More Than Human ,By Theodore Sturgeon
I read that long ago but remember it well, I thought it was excellent, though I wonder what to call it. It's not quite fantasy, and it seems it only sort-of fits into SF.
I'd vote for something newish and hot (yet available in paperback) in SF right now:

Rainbow's End by Vernor Vinge-fairly literary but also hard SF, with modern political themes too. I have much love for this book.
I read Vinge's "The Peace War" serialized in Analog (maybe a quarter century ago), and had mixed feelings about it. I suppose if my arm was twisted I could read more of Vinge's fiction. He is, after all, the one who first used the term singularity for an alleged future event for humanity (and as analogous to a black hole's signularity, progress will accelerate so fast we can't see into the future).

I recall in some recent (last few years) SF mag editorial that virtually all SF stories are about the Singularity and/or nanotechnology, but I don't know if that's true, I've read very little recent SF.

A book we choose doesn't have to have these aspects as main points, but I presume a recent book would at least mention these things...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All right.

Now that we have a few suggestions rolling in, anyone wanna second or third a nomination? Anything to make my job easier ;)

And let's keep those suggestions going too!

Cheers,
Christina

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I'd really like to read something that has amazing characters. Ones you feel like you're standing right beside them the whole way through and get wrapped up emotionally with. Anyone got a book like that?

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Any of the Harry Dresden's by Jim Butcher. I enjoyed all of them, honestly, but most people seem to think that the eighth book is the best. Oh wait, that's fantasy. Hang on.

Miles Vorkosigan's books by Lois McMaster Bujold. Not too heavy, a fun read, entertaining.

Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. Old, yes, but still entertaining and good.

Um. I'll think...

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I have no idea what's been done here, nor do I know really what anyone's looking for, so I'm just taking stabs in the dark. Personally, I prefer character-based sci-fi, not hard sci-fi.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you go to the Book Study thread that is currently stickied, you can find a link to the Ender's Game thread.

I enjoyed comparing Ender to Locke as I read this month's book... and then they went on separate paths (Locke grew up, as one AWer put it. IRU, I think)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I'd really like to read something that has amazing characters. Ones you feel like you're standing right beside them the whole way through and get wrapped up emotionally with. Anyone got a book like that?

Postsingular by Rudy Rucker has really amazing characterization. Another cool thing about that book is that it's available in hardback and also FREE online. The author also has a huge document online that chronicles how he developed the plot and characters, which is really interesting if folks want to delve into the process of creating the novel. Also it's awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.