Status
Not open for further replies.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'm feeling an empty space in my heart lately, and it is because I have not read any hard core sci fi in a long time. :) I did Asimov, Heinlein, etc. when I was younger, but the last awesome hard SF I read was Vernor Vinge (A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky).

I'm not looking for cyberpunk, and I would prefer newer stuff since it gets dated pretty quickly.

Any recommendations for me?

Tachyon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tachyondecay.net
I recently read Alastair Reynolds' House of Suns and enjoyed it. That was the first time I'd heard of Reynolds, but now I'm going to read more of his work.

You may also want to try Robert J. Sawyer. I liked his Neanderthal Parallax trilogy (2003), and I loved Mindscan (2005, quite a creepy concept there). His novels are mostly set in present-day to very-near-future. Apparently his current project is a trilogy of novels about a self-aware World Wide Web.... That could be interesting.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this qualifies as "hard sci fi" or not. But if you haven't read Card's Ender's Game, drop everything and get it. lol. I'm not kidding.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Not sure if this qualifies as "hard sci fi" or not. But if you haven't read Card's Ender's Game, drop everything and get it. lol. I'm not kidding.

I wouldn't call it hard SF, but I've read everything Card's ever written except for his Alvin Maker series. ;)

Thanks for the recs, guys/gals! Much appreciated.

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
Calculating God and Flash Forward by Robert J. Sawyer. His later stuff is good, too, but those two were by far my favorites. I haven't yet read his earlier novels.

Dale

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
You may also want to try Robert J. Sawyer. I liked his Neanderthal Parallax trilogy (2003), and I loved Mindscan (2005, quite a creepy concept there). His novels are mostly set in present-day to very-near-future. Apparently his current project is a trilogy of novels about a self-aware World Wide Web.... That could be interesting.

Yes, his next one is called Wake, and it's being serialized in Analog Science Fiction and Science Fact magazine. The first installment is available now.

Dale

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling an empty space in my heart lately, and it is because I have not read any hard core sci fi in a long time. :) I did Asimov, Heinlein, etc. when I was younger, but the last awesome hard SF I read was Vernor Vinge (A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky).

I'm not looking for cyberpunk, and I would prefer newer stuff since it gets dated pretty quickly.

Any recommendations for me?

At the risk of teaching my grandmother to suck eggs...
Have you read Larry Niven? Protector, Ringworld, A Mote in God's Eye, Neutron Star, and A Gift From Earth are all still current.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here are some that I have loved:

Blindsight, Peter Watts (scary!)
Appleseed, John Clute (not for the kiddies)
anything at all by Vernor Vinge (I LOVE VV!)
Light, M. John Harrison
Red Mars, Kim Stanley Robinson (the most science-y of all SF)
Forty Signs of Rain, Kim Stanley Robinson (way more exciting than you would imagine)
Diamond Age, Neal Stephenson (girls rule!)
Postsingular, Rudy Rucker (this one is lots of fun)

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
It's not newer stuff, but I enjoyed the works of Nancy Kress. I found her Probability series to be very entertaining.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
<falls off chair> Ringworld is on my list of 10 books I'd choose to swim ashore with if I were shipwrecked.

-Derek

Hmm. Perhaps Jo meant "on a personal level" - living in SoCal, and all...

One fella I forgot:

David Brin, Sundiver and Startide Rising. Somewhere between space opera and hard science, but Brin himself is an astrophysicist - when he violates a law of nature, he knows it and knows why. And they're both a hell of a lot of fun.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Yeah, I met Niven once in this bar... ;)

I thought Sundiver was all right... no, okay, it was better than all right. I felt the MC was somewhat lacking. But I guess I should pick up Startide Rising. :)

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
Even though I'm a hard sci-fi fan I've got a soft spot for the uplift books, if only because of how interesting the uplift mechanism is.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Even though I'm a hard sci-fi fan I've got a soft spot for the uplift books, if only because of how interesting the uplift mechanism is.

Absolutely; a really fun conceit.
It's the first two books that are the best, though.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've always been a big fan of hard SF, so I'd be interested in titles of recent stuff too, but some of the stuff mention here is so old I've already read it...
Check out Greg Bear. Eon and Blood Music are two of my favs...
Even though it's not a "recent" book, I read Eon recently and very much enjoyed it.

Something else that comes to mind is Gregory Benford's "Artifact" that I read when it was new, early '80's or so, and I also liked his popular, dare I say even legendary novel "Timescape."

And for something older, if you haven't read it, there's Piers Anthony's "Macroscope." It's actually frustrating, because it shows he can write good SF, but it's hard to blame hom for choosing to write what sells to a wider audience...

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
How could I forget?

Haldeman's The Forever War is fairly hard SF - the training sequence out beyond Pluto is exceptionally solid.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I recently read Alastair Reynolds' House of Suns and enjoyed it. That was the first time I'd heard of Reynolds, but now I'm going to read more of his work.
As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I was trying to remember the name of the hard SF author I got into recently. And stone me if it wasn't the first one recommended by someone else.
Anyway, yeah, Reynolds is very good. I read the Revelation Space trilogy (Revelation Space, Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap) a few months ago. Definitely highly recommended.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Reynolds' Pushing Ice is also great, and it's a lot nearer-future than most of his works while still being a vast space opera in scope.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for Reynolds from me.
Also, Richard Morgan writes somewhat hardish SF. It's more cyberpunk than space SF, but it's still worth to check it out.
Maybe even give Charles Stross a try. Far-future SF, and not space opera, though i'm not quite sure i'd classify it as hard SF.
Though none of them is as soft as Startrek or Starwars of course.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
I like Kim Stanley Robinson, too. The Mars series is excellent.

I'd like to suggest Stephen Baxter. Titan is the story of a mission to the moon Titan, using cobbled together bits of present day Shuttle and even Apollo technology, and bits and pieces of previous research hanging around in storage at NASA - and he makes it seem totally plausible. It helps, of course, that he actually was on the astronaut program.

Status
Not open for further replies.